Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
My SmartQ 7 Repair Saga

Day 38

It didn't get lost in the mail! Yippee!

Through no fault of my own, my SmartQ 7 died less than 2 months after I got it. I was unable to revive it, and I shipped it to the manufacturer on 17 July. Today I received an email from the repair rep about the repair cost.

They're asking for $12 to repair the screen (I didn't break it), and $24 to ship it back to me. Is the shipping charge normal? The device is still under warranty. Shouldn't the manufacturer pay to ship it back to me?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

*bump*

Can anyone answer my question?
Advert
Old 08-24-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
Suwat
Enthusiast
Suwat began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, SmartQ7
Hi Nate, I'm not sure my info will be useful to you or not. I bought my q7 from Eletroworld and they charged me US$ 35 to ship it to Thailand. You live a lot farther away so I think $24 probably's ok. For repair cost, it depends on their policies and how you see it. Strictly speaking, it's under warranty and they should pay for the repair. But for $12, I think I probably would not go thru the hassle of arguing with them. Another info that might be of interest to you. My q7 clock runs a bit too fast and I talked with the guy at Eletroworld. Lastly, they wanted me to send it back for repair which I decided against. However, they asked me to pay for the delivery to them and they would pay for the delivery back to me.
Just my 2 cents.
Suwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:19 AM   #4
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Color, Kobo, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suwat View Post
However, they asked me to pay for the delivery to them and they would pay for the delivery back to me.
Just my 2 cents.
That's what they said to me, as well. When I was talking to them about my wireless not working. My wireless still doesn't work in linux but I've decided against sending it back as I only got it for reading ebooks and am using WinCE operating system for that anyway.
bjkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
So it seems they think it is not a warranty issue since you have to pay for the repair and that is why they charge for the shipping.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Day 38

Through no fault of my own, my SmartQ 7 died less than 2 months after I got it. I was unable to revive it, and I shipped it to the manufacturer on 17 July. Today I received an email from the repair rep about the repair cost.

They're asking for $12 to repair the screen (I didn't break it), and $24 to ship it back to me. Is the shipping charge normal? The device is still under warranty. Shouldn't the manufacturer pay to ship it back to me?
If it was a faulty device then they should repair it free of charge under the warranty. Ask them why there is a charge for repair? They may claim miss-use or something like that and hence the charge. As for the shipping. In the 'West' we are used to free shipping for warranty repairs but it seems that Chinese Mfrs. don't offer that as part of their service. They argue that their devices are not meant for export, only for the Chinese market and their margins don't permit such luxurious services, which strictly speaking is true. So I guess it's a case of how much do you wan't it back, $24 worth ???
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Thanks, everyone.

Part of what bothers me is that they didn't tell me there would be a return shipping charge. I find it unreasonable that they should hold me over a barrel like this.

And one thing I forgot to mention was that sending the money will cost $25 wire transfer fee, so my repair costs are $49 at a _minimum_ for a device that is under warranty.

I get the impression that they only handle local repairs, and that the resellers are expected to deal with this. Well, my Ebay seller said in the auction that he doesn't.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The device is still under warranty. Shouldn't the manufacturer pay to ship it back to me?
Read the warranty. Most of them specify who pays for shipping for in warranty repairs. Yes, usually it is done that you pay to send it to them, and they pay to return it using the same delivery method. But, I don't think there is any requirement for that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:18 PM   #9
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
Since the device isn't intended for sale outside of China, I'm not surprised. Something that might be worth checking in to for anyone needing service in the future is the repair service at allpmp.com. Their max charge is $23.90, which includes them dealing with the manufacturer and shipping it back to you - doesn't matter if you bought it from them, or not.

I haven't used the service so I can't vouch for it, but I did buy my q7 from them and that was a pleasant transaction.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndx View Post
Since the device isn't intended for sale outside of China, I'm not surprised. Something that might be worth checking in to for anyone needing service in the future is the repair service at allpmp.com. Their max charge is $23.90, which includes them dealing with the manufacturer and shipping it back to you - doesn't matter if you bought it from them, or not.

I haven't used the service so I can't vouch for it, but I did buy my q7 from them and that was a pleasant transaction.
Another great find Houndx You really are a mine of useful information . Have some karma
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #11
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
lol, thanks
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #12
ChineseGadgets
ChineseGadgets began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ 5
Not to be an ass, but I think that's one of the risks when you order stuff from China. I personally don't have a real problem with it, because I know that if the devices were sold here in Europe I would have to pay at least double the price because of all the consumer rights we have here. I've never used the warrenty of anything I bought here, but I still paid for it.
ChineseGadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Day 38

Today I had to ship my Q7 back to eletroworld because the screen stopped responding to any input programs started to open and closing by themself so it's off on a holiday to china . Regarding fees they said that they'll take the tab if it's a hardware problem and shipping it back but if it's a software problem (which I'm sure that the screen has gone kaput) then I'll have to pay for repairs+shipping.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

My SmartQ 7 is back, after 2 months and 4 days. It's been so long that I don't know where I put the power supply.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #15
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
My SmartQ 7 is back, after 2 months and 4 days. It's been so long that I don't know where I put the power supply.
Glad to here it
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote