Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
You can make money by simply uploading old books on Amazon

For books past the copyright, people can upload the books and format it...add some links, etc...and charge $1. And make oodles of money! Seems like a great business plan. I for one, do not have time to figure out how to upload and correctly format one of those books. In any case, the time it would take to do it would be worth more to me than $1.

So MobileRead should think about about uploading all of its books onto Amazon.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
For books past the copyright, people can upload the books and format it...add some links, etc...and charge $1. And make oodles of money! Seems like a great business plan. I for one, do not have time to figure out how to upload and correctly format one of those books. In any case, the time it would take to do it would be worth more to me than $1.

You'd have to add enough value to it to dissuade people from just downloading the free public domain version of a given work. It would have to have superior formatting compared to the free one, and a linked TOC would be nice as well. Speaking for myself, though, I try not to pay for public domain works (I spend enough on new books!!!), so it would have to be a pretty compelling improvement.
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
A lot of people just don't know they're available for free. When my cousin first got hers, she was downloading her favorite classics from Amazon because they were so cheap until I told her about places like MobileRead, Feedbooks, etc.

Of course, now Amazon has started putting up a lot of those classics for free so you'd likely only be able to sell more obscure titles. Sounds like a lot of work for little return.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:

This would probably work if people weren't already doing this and uploading free versions.

Only public domain stuff I buy is from mobi. They sell giant collections for super cheap with proper TOC w/ links.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12375752...3Adigital-text
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
If I were an artist (which I'm not), I could see perhaps doing nicely illustrated versions of classic public domain books and selling them for a fee. If I were a scholar in a field (also not) I could see producing a nicely annotated version. I think there are possibilities out there, but I think it would take substantial effort to put out a worthwhile product. People who are simply putting their name to free works and trying to get money will be found out by the marketplace, I believe.

Last edited by KindleDude; 03-20-2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: spelling!!
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

Why on earth would MobileRead try to make money on public domain books?

To me, this goes against everything we stand for..take advantage of people who are not aware the books available for free from numerous sites.

Baaad idea.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I think people would be surprised how many books are available in the public domain. There are quite a few places with large collections, which sure beats getting them off Amazon, even if they are quite inexpensive.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:

I have converted and uploaded a lot of books to MobileRead. (2792 at the last count.)
They are a gift, and I would be extremely upset to find other people trying to profit from my work. I think that you misunderstand the motives of many of the book uploaders here.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Yea, there are a ton of books available on public domain, but will somebody actually downloand is a different question. I've known about this for a while.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #10
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I agree with desertgrandma and Patricia. I think this would be a bad idea.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Not a good idea for someplace like Mobile Read. It wouldn't be in the 'spirit' of things.

Now if some independent wanted to create some 'Enhanced' editions like Penguin did with Pride and Prejudice those might be interesting. It adds value that some might want to pay for.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #12
nascarrunner71
nascarrunner71 began at the beginning.

Device: K1, K2, DX, iPad
sounds like mobileread should charge markbot a $1/each for downloads!
nascarrunner71 is offline   Reply With Quote