Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #61
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Actually, CDs are not considered part of "free library" even though they can be distributed freely. Many books from CDs are still sold on Webscriptions.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWiz View Post
I dont see it mentioned anywhere but I am a big fan of David Eddings series as well as many of the books mentioned in this thread.

They arent as deep as Wheel of Time but I love the characters in his books.

Eric
I'll second Eddings books.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Speaking of Terry Brooks... I have not read them all, but what I have read of his Shannara series, I really did enjoy.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #64
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
I very much enjoy the Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher. Please ignore the attempted TV series if you ever saw a commercial for it. The books have a darker humor that I quite enjoy and there are about 10 now. I also like Jim Butcher's Codex Alera, which will release book 5 next month. Both series lean to the fantasy side.

R.M. Meluch's Merrimack Series is also one I enjoy. It is to the science fiction side without having quite so much detail about how exactly the hardware actually works. I very much enjoy Davd Weber's Honor Harrington books since I picked up the first one when it was first released because it looked interesting, but some get too technical for me.

David Weber's Bazell books are fantasy and I also find them to have quite the humorous side. As yet I do not have a dedicated reading device so I don't pay as much attention to what is specifically available in e-book form so my apologies if you have trouble finding any of my recommendations.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:29 AM   #65
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
The Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson is an amazing SF series and I highly recommend it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Trilogy
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2008, 03:26 AM   #66
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
Some More...

Trying not to repeat anyone else...

Looking at my wall - Michael Scott Rohan - Winter of the World series (4 books, plus a couple in the same world).

Clifford D Simak - "Time is the Simplest Thing". I like all Simak - but I love that one.

Joel Shephard - Crossover, Killswitch and Breakaway.

Harry Harrison - Deathworld series and The Stainless Steel Rat series (although the SSR were best in the first 2 or 3 books - they got a bit same old after that)

James Blish - Jack of Eagles.

I 3rd or 4th Anne McAffery - Ship who Sang, Crystalsinger and Pegasus series if you like SF.

Dunno how much of the above is available on ebook.

I've enjoyed and am finishing Christoper Paolini's Inheritance series (Eragon et al) Fictionwise have a 40% of sale on the 3. But only in DRM'ed versions, and it still means its about $12 for the latest one.

Sarah Douglass Battleaxe, Enchanter and Starman trilogy.

David Weber's War God fantasy series (Baen).

John Ringo - March to the ... series (Baen)..

So many books, so little time

Ross
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:18 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
And a good place to finish. Eddings has a smooth prose style that reads easily, and a gift for dialog. Unfortunately, he has one story to tell, and one set of characters. Subsequent series have the names changed and the serial numbers filed off, but are the same basic story.
Sacrilege! How can you say that about the finest exponent of the English language since Dickens?

Seriously, though, it just goes to show how different things do appeal to different people. I love all Eddings' work; in particular "The Redemption of Althalus" (which I'm well aware that many people can't stand).

Wouldn't the world be boring if we all had the same tastes?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:55 AM   #68
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
I read and enjoyed the Belgariad. I plowed grimly through the sequel, the Malloreon. The authorial strings were too evident, as Eddings carefully maneuvered his characters through every spot on his world. It felt like "paint by numbers" fantasy.

Read the Belgariad. If you really like it, read the rest of Eddings, as you'll be getting more of the exact same thing.
______
Dennis
I do agree to a point that Eddings is repetitive, but His work does have its charms.

I usually Suggest people read the Belgariad and The Elenium and skip the sequels if they feel like it. As while similar, there is enough difference between the two to make it interesting.

I do however agree with Harry that Redemption of Athalus is his best book, and a definite read. Its the most tightly written book and edited book of his.

I would definitely recommend skipping the Dreamers Series, as while some of the premises are good, it all comes to nought due to the poor editing.

The main problem is that very few of is book are available as eBooks.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #69
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGozit View Post
Trying not to repeat anyone else...

Looking at my wall - Michael Scott Rohan - Winter of the World series (4 books, plus a couple in the same world).
I'll also recommend _Chase the Morning_, _The Gates of Noon_ and _Cloud Castles_, three books of the "Spiral" series (with a fourth, _Maxie's Demon_, I haven't read yet.) Among other things, one of the few uses of Voudon Loas that I've seen pop up in fantasy.

Quote:
Clifford D Simak - "Time is the Simplest Thing". I like all Simak - but I love that one.
As do I, and I'll toss in _The Goblin Reservation_ Gotta love a book where the English Department at a University is peeved at the Deaprtment of Time Travel, which has not only proved that Shakespeare didn't write the plays attributed to him, but brought Will himself forward in time to lecture about it.

Quote:
Harry Harrison - Deathworld series and The Stainless Steel Rat series (although the SSR were best in the first 2 or 3 books - they got a bit same old after that)
The first Stainless Steel Rat book was a minor classic, and the next two in the series are worth reading. Beyond that, they get repetitive and shallow.

One of the SSR stories is at Project Gutenberg: The Misplaced Battleship
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:49 PM   #70
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sacrilege! How can you say that about the finest exponent of the English language since Dickens?
Easily. A bad book is a bad book, regardless of origin. Good prose can't save a bad story, though bad prose can kill a good one.

Quote:
Seriously, though, it just goes to show how different things do appeal to different people. I love all Eddings' work; in particular "The Redemption of Althalus" (which I'm well aware that many people can't stand).
I haven't read that one. It may be an exception. As I said, Eddings has a smooth prose style and a gift for dialog. I just wish he'd find more stories to tell with different characters. I also wish the authorial strings weren't quite so evident. Eddings works with bright primary colors with strong outlines so you aren't required to actually think about what you read - everything is very clearly delineated and obvious. (I think of such things as "popcorn" books - escapist literature for when you don't want to be challenged by a book, but just want a few hours distraction.) Personally, I like to get lost in books, and prefer more depth and complexity. It's hard to drown in a shallow pool.

I enjoyed The Belgariad, plowed through The Malloreon out of duty, and tried and failed to read The Elenium. (One of the few books I didn't finish.) After that, I gave up. Too many other books to read.

Quote:
Wouldn't the world be boring if we all had the same tastes?
That would depend upon the tastes. Personally, I'd sooner recommend work I think is good than warn against work I think is bad. There are enough books written that I doubt we'd run out of things to talk about, even if we did think alike on what was good.
______
Dennis
Old 10-26-2008, 02:45 PM   #71
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Aw.. This thread really make me want an eBook even more.. *Counts the days till christmas*

Well, I'm gonna toss in Dragonlance: Chronicles as one of my all time favorite series..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #72
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
HowGozit reminded me of James Blish's Cities in Flight trilogy. Spectacular.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #73
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
HowGozit reminded me of James Blish's Cities in Flight trilogy. Spectacular.
Tetralogy, actually:

They Shall Have Stars
A Life for the Stars
Earthman, Come Home
The Triumph of Time

The macguffin is the Spindizzy field, which can enclose an object and drive it faster than light. The more mass a Spindizzy has to work with, the better it does, and there's no reason you can't enclose an entire city in a Spindizzy field and launch it into the galaxy. That's precisely what happens, as whole cities leave an economically depressed Earth to look for work in the galaxy.

I have to love a series where the city of New York is a major character.

While the books have a common theme and setting, they aren't exactly a series, and have significant stylistic differences between them. Blish was one of the most literate SF writers of his period, and a writer I've thought underrated. (He did a regular column of SF criticism for one of the magazines, collected in two Advent volumes called "The Issue at Hand" and "More Issues at Hand", where he tried to do the first serious technical criticism of SF short stories. The collections are still worth reading, 40+ years later.)

I met Blish, many years ago, but didn't get the chance to ask him how the records were preserved, since The Triumph of Time ends with the death of our universe, and is supposedly written from the perspective of a scholar in the next.

But yes, spectacular, and a series I expect to see on any shelf of SF classics.
______
Dennis
Old 10-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #74
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
The macguffin is the Spindizzy field, which can enclose an object and drive it faster than light. The more mass a Spindizzy has to work with, the better it does, and there's no reason you can't enclose an entire city in a Spindizzy field and launch it into the galaxy. That's precisely what happens, as whole cities leave an economically depressed Earth to look for work in the galaxy.

I have to love a series where the city of New York is a major character.
The cool part is that the Spindizzy field is spherical, so all the underground stuff goes along with the above-ground stuff. There's still sewage lines, electricity conduits, steam tunnels, and the subway!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:59 PM   #75
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
The cool part is that the Spindizzy field is spherical, so all the underground stuff goes along with the above-ground stuff. There's still sewage lines, electricity conduits, steam tunnels, and the subway!
Of course, the subway. How else do you expect to get around New York?
______
Dennis