Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-01-2008, 06:47 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think that's rather unlikely, given that reading Mobi books is really the Gen3's primary purpose. PDFs were very much an afterthought - as you may remember, when the Gen3 was initially launched, it was to have been without PDF support; a very basic level of support for the format was squeezed in at the last minute.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #17
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think that's rather unlikely, given that reading Mobi books is really the Gen3's primary purpose. PDFs were very much an afterthought - as you may remember, when the Gen3 was initially launched, it was to have been without PDF support; a very basic level of support for the format was squeezed in at the last minute.
I vaguely remember reading something about it in archives when I started reding this forum in November last year; did I miss the generally known fact? I think many people may be misguided by the fact that Bookeen doesn't advertise the PDF support as basic, and PDF reading is generally bulletproof on every platform, supporting every kind of document you may want to throw in the reader

Personally, I read PDF and TXT and HTML formats on Gen3, but the only Mobi books I ever read on it were a few from this site.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #18
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle

It is also my experience that the firmware update has reduced battery lifetime.
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #19
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:

I tend to agree. I'd love to see something that actually *WORKED* at reformatting PDF files to a standard 6" e-ink display - not just 'trimming' whitespace, but a true re-format of any and all text in even the most basic PDF files. I've tried all the recommendations and they all fail in some form or another. Right now, if I simply *must* have a PDF ebook on my Cybook, I go through the laborious process of converting to Word and thence to mobi, editing out conversion errors - such as spurious page headers and footers - as I go.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:01 PM   #20
UTAlumnus
UTAlumnus began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
The ability to read while charging. Trigger the connected screen by data being sent through the usb instead of power.

Edit: Also, actual page numbers instead of the bar across the bottom of the page. This is on the it would be nice list where reading while charging would be a major improvement.

Last edited by UTAlumnus; 06-01-2008 at 03:38 PM.
UTAlumnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #21
memoryjar
Enthusiast
memoryjar began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3 v2
Quote:
Landscape view isn't uncomfortable. The Gen3 just need to be more stable with PDF.
memoryjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #22
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Besides what has been mentioned before, I would like Cybook to support ZIP files.

Sure, if they fix the directory view, it won't be as necessary. But it would still be useful, as instead of having hundreds of files to read, update and make thumbnails... There would be a single file. (I'm talking about using ZIP format to contain image files).
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #23
Striking Claw
Enthusiast
Striking Claw doesn't litterStriking Claw doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, ILiad, HP hx4700
What I would like to see in 1.2:
1. Battery indicator while reading
2. Reading while charging
3. Decent library management
4. Search/goto function in library

An improvement of page turning would also be nice, but I'm not sure if a software update will help, or if it's a hardware problem. 10-20% of the time
I need to press the button twice for a page turn. It's the worst four way button I've ever seen in a Ebook reader, PDA of handy.
For the next hardware update they also should get rid of the cheap plastic
casing. Luckily when the CyBook is in the cover you don't have to look at
the cheap plastic.
Striking Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:37 AM   #24
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striking Claw View Post

An improvement of page turning would also be nice, but I'm not sure if a software update will help, or if it's a hardware problem. 10-20% of the time
I need to press the button twice for a page turn. It's the worst four way button I've ever seen in a Ebook reader, PDA of handy.
The 'problem' is that most people don't press long enough. There is not need to push hard, but slightly longer. So: Push...release will do the trick.

The cybook has to wake up and react. If the push is to short, it wakes up, but does not know which button you pushed. The impoved it in de last software, but the result was also an enormous power drain. So I went back to the last firmware.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:56 PM   #25
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Hmm, With my whole 24hrs of usage, I wish

1) Better Library navigation. While Folder Navigation would be best, would at least like the ability to get a list view of the files. I tend to name files as Author - Series - Book Name. In any view except 5 to a page, all I can see is the beginning of the title. And when you put on some 200 books onto the device and SD card , its a pain to have to navigate 5 at a time, to get to a specific book.

Would at least like the ability to skip forward 5 to 10 pages of listings in one go, so that if I have to go 5 at a time, I can at least speed it up a little.

2) The ability to search for a file on the device. As above, if we can't get folder navigation, a search by title, should solve a large part of the problem.

3) Sort according to File size, recently read, etc. I miss the Sony's integrated Bookmarks page, where I can see all my recent bookmarks in all my books.

4) Search for a word directly in the dictionary. Would help a lot, and probably lead to me spending a fortune on dictionaries and thesaurus's as I could have reference library with me at all times.Would completely replace my Franklin Speaking Language Master which is getting a bit long in the tooth, and a bit heavy to carry around all the time or even my laptop in some cases.

5) Clock and Battery indicator when reading. I hacked my PRS-500 and came to depend upon the clock to let me know when I had read enough, and that it was time to Put the Book Down and get back to work.

6) As mentioned by many, the ability to charge and read at the same time. Is it really hard to check whether or not any data is being transferred. iPod's, Pocket PC's all manage to work when just being powered by an external USB charger.

7) The ability to suspend the device as opposed to powering it down. Sometimes, I can only snatch a couple of minutes of reading at a time, and waiting 20 seconds for the device to start would be a bit of a pain. Also while I could leave it switched on all the time in such cases, Don't want my co-workers to see what I'm reading every time they pass by.

Well, that all that comes to mind immediately. And while I do Like the device on the whole, these niggles tend to break the otherwise smooth experience.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:30 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
3) Sort according to File size, recently read, etc. I miss the Sony's integrated Bookmarks page, where I can see all my recent bookmarks in all my books.
You can do. Change the sort order on the library screen.

Quote:
7) The ability to suspend the device as opposed to powering it down. Sometimes, I can only snatch a couple of minutes of reading at a time, and waiting 20 seconds for the device to start would be a bit of a pain. Also while I could leave it switched on all the time in such cases, Don't want my co-workers to see what I'm reading every time they pass by.
Why not just close the cover?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:58 AM   #27
UTAlumnus
UTAlumnus began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Support for rich text files (.rtf)
UTAlumnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:34 AM   #28
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
You can do. Change the sort order on the library screen.

Could, But I just like the ability of having the screen blank, so I can act innocent if someone asks me what I'm doing.

The boss dosn't mind, as my job tends to be hours of waiting, followed by busts of intense excitement. It's the nosy co-workers, and as we are all volunteers, can't bite their heads off when they get too irritating, especially if they are older then you .
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:43 AM   #29
Spellbot 5000
Connoisseur
Spellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
So it's true the reader is never really "off", it's just displaying a blank screen when you turn it "off"?

If that's the case, what's the point of the initial Cybook screen and the loading screen? Is the reader actually doing something, or is it just there as an advertisement? If it's just an advert, someone should hack the firmware so the unit goes directly to the library when you turn it on and bypasses the intro screens.
Spellbot 5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, if you turn the Gen3 off, it really is off.

Tags
cybook, firmware, request