Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2007, 04:26 AM   #1
tidixon
Enthusiast
tidixon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
question authorizing reader

how long does it take the reader to authorize?
I've had this thing for a while now but never used the connect software (now ebook library) and decided to buy some books only to discover this drm craziness. I am using vmware, and it has been "authorizing" my reader for 5 minutes now... is it supposed to take this long? or do I need to borrow a friends pc to get this to work. more generally, once my reader is authorized can I use any computer to transfer my purchased books?
tidixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
You probably know the answer by now. But it can take several minutes. Once authorized, you can use any pc to transfer dl'd books (AFAIK) if the Library software is installed, you sign onto your account, and you transfer to your registered device.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2007, 05:43 AM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
You probably know the answer by now. But it can take several minutes. Once authorized, you can use any pc to transfer dl'd books (AFAIK) if the Library software is installed, you sign onto your account, and you transfer to your registered device.
I was under the impression that the computer needed to be authorized as well, so that you can't use any computer but only those which are authorized, since the books are downloaded to the computer's library and then you transfer them to the reader as you wish after the download.

So I don't think you can use "any pc" to transfer books from the Sony ebook store to your reader.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:46 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
I was under the impression that the computer needed to be authorized as well, so that you can't use any computer but only those which are authorized, since the books are downloaded to the computer's library and then you transfer them to the reader as you wish after the download.

So I don't think you can use "any pc" to transfer books from the Sony ebook store to your reader.
You can only download the book on an authorised PC, but once it's downloaded you can transfer it to the Reader using any PC - you just copy it as you would any other book file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote