Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
geoff3
geoff3 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Orizon
PDF to EPUB conversion, 2 column pbs

Hi,
I have a PDF document which is formatted 2 columns wide.
When I try to convert to EPUB I get both columns merged across the screen as though the converter didn't see the column space in the middle.
Any ideas?
Geoff
geoff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
open pdf in adobe reader - copy all to clipboard, open MSword, paste clipboard into word. tidy as needed save as filtered html, add to calibre library, convert zip to epub in calibre.

that worked form em with a 2 column document - no guarantee that it works in all casese though.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Did you read Paragraph 1 in the first sticky? (and follow the link)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
At the moment Calibre does not support conversion of multi-column PDF files. Support for this is in a new PDF conversion engine that is under development, but there is no ETA for its availability.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
geoff3
geoff3 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Orizon
Thanks for the comments,
I finally did a "Save as Text" from Adobe Reader and converted the text to EPUB in Calibre, lost my pictures but you can't see them very well anyway with an ebook.
geoff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff3 View Post
Thanks for the comments,
I finally did a "Save as Text" from Adobe Reader and converted the text to EPUB in Calibre, lost my pictures but you can't see them very well anyway with an ebook.
This can often be manually fixed:
  1. Convert the original PDF to EPUB using Calibre, ignoring the text errors.
  2. Change the EPUB's extension to ZIP.
  3. Extract the contents of the ZIP to reveal any pictures sucessfully converted.
  4. Convert the good TXT version to EPUB using Calibre.
  5. Edit that EPUB in Sigil and manually insert the images extracted from the ZIP, using the original PDF viewed in Acrobat Reader for placement reference.
  6. Convert the edited EPUB to your desired final format in Calibre if you need something other than EPUB.

I just used this method to do a conversion yesterday. Its not a "one click" procedure, but it does work.

Last edited by dwig; 03-13-2011 at 02:33 PM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
Sami
Sami began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch, Sony 350
I upload the pdf to google docs making sure to tick both convert boxes then copy/paste into sigil, correct any formatting issues I have then import to calibre. This does only work on short pieces (2mb) but I got 12 stories done in 10 minutes the other day.
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote