Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
markuskane
Markus Kane
markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
How to cite a book review.

A newspaper (the Seattle PI) recently published a book review originally published on blogcritics.org. If I cite the review, for example, as a blurb, how do I cite it? I was going to cite the name of the review followed by the reviewers name and original publication. Such as "Leslie Wright of Blogcritics.org said XXX". I don't think I should cite the Seattle PI, as the original review appeared in a different publication.

Anyone have any thoughts here?
markuskane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Notre Dame
Magus
Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If the critic's name has more kudos than the newspaper then credit the critic. If not, use the newspaper. There's nothing wrong with "Leslie Wright of Blogcritics.org said" , especially if you're wanting Leslie to review your next book ;-)), but I would think the newspaper will carry more weight with prospective readers.
One way round your problem would be to quote part of the review (most reviews are far too long for quoting in full) credited to the blog, and then another part credited to the newspaper. Quite often, what you read on a book jacket isn't actually what the review meant, but by taking words out of context, they can be spun.
By the way, a review isn't a blurb. A review is someone's opinion. A blurb is technically a teaser as opposed to a synopsis which tells you what happens in the story - not good to put in a blurb!
http://chrisscottwilson.co.uk
Notre Dame is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
Notre Dame
Magus
Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notre Dame ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Marcus - I've just taken the time to read that review. Which bits were you thinking of using?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
markuskane
Markus Kane
markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notre Dame View Post
Marcus - I've just taken the time to read that review. Which bits were you thinking of using?
I wasn't sure which part of the review I'd use, but I think you're right about crediting the reviewer by name. I had the same thought as you, that the name of the newspaper following the reviewer might lend more weight to the review but I don't want to be misleading in any way.

Since you've read it, what parts might you suggest?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
Notre Dame
Magus

Marcus, I think there are three good lines in that review (technically speaking, it's not a review. It's nine paragraphs, six of which are synopsis. Only the last three are a review) The lines I would use are :
1 "Markus Kane has written a novel full of possibilities and realities"
2 "...a haunting look at possibilities of the ever increasing terrorist actions perpetrated in our world today."
3 "...more than just another spy story."

Although I'm not wild about the second line. The sentiment, yes, but not the way it's said. Could be a bit more pithy.
But, the point here is a) You don't give too much away, and b) You want those review lines to intrigue your prospective reader. I.e., Why did the reviewer think that?
The first and third lines are compliments. The second is exposition but with a prefixed compliment.
If you think I'm cutting everything down to the bone here, go and read a few review extractions cited on best sellers. They don't block up the whole cover. Space is a wonderful design medium. It's sort of like B.B. King. Less is more. The prospective reader can glance, take it in and make a decision without getting bogged down. Also, in my defence, I read somewhere recently they polled readers who said they can't be bothered to read long reviews posted on Amazon. They just want to know is it good or bad!
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
Notre Dame
Magus

Marcus, by the way, I just tagged your book in the UK - off the Exchange US/UK tagging thread!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
markuskane
Markus Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notre Dame View Post
Marcus, by the way, I just tagged your book in the UK - off the Exchange US/UK tagging thread!
Cheers!