Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for Android, Google Play Books
Kindle Previewer 2.3 crashes when opening files under Wine/Fedora 15 Linux

I installed Kindle Previewer 2.3 on my Fedora 15 Linux system with Wine 1.3.36. When I open an ebook in a Kindle format, Previewer crashes. The previous version worked fine. Anybody else experiencing similar issues with version 2.3?
amoroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
NicWest
NicWest began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Previewer 2.31 under wine issues (solved)

Hi Guys,

might not be the right place for this, if so I'm sorry.

I was having a bit of an issue with the new version of the previewer 2.31 under wine/ubunutu/linux/gnu/etc/etc.

program would load fine, convert to mobi, but would crash on trying load either the resulting mobi from the internal kindlegen or mobi from another source (cmd line kindlegen, etc), generating a JVM exception in terminal/logs.

after some digging around, I deleted this file:
~/.wine/drive_c/windows/winsxs/manifests/*.vc90.*_deadbeef.manifest
as instructed by this winehq bug thread:
http://appdb.winehq.org/commentview....ThreadId=71627

and that fixed the problem. Hope this helps someone in need!
NicWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
Maybe this will help.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165155
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_R View Post
The fix doesn't work on my Fedora system, but thanks for mentioning it.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
NicWest

Hey bud I had exactly the same issue as mentioned above.

is it a fresh install or did yours just automatically update? I think I might have uninstalled the kindle previewer first, then deleted the amazon folder from /local settings/appdata, and then reinstalled from the amazon website, before deleting that file mentioned in the above link.

I'm no wine expert sadly so I can't tell you much more than that but I would also mention that have wine ticks installed with likely VC90 and other relevant bits like fonts and that also might be part of the issue.

hope you find a solution.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:18 AM   #6
amoroso
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicWest View Post
is it a fresh install or did yours just automatically update?
When Kindle Previewer 2.3 was announced, I uninstalled the previous version via the usual uninstaller and manually installed the new one by running the EXE file.

Quote:
I think I might have uninstalled the kindle previewer first, then deleted the amazon folder from /local settings/appdata, and then reinstalled from the amazon website, before deleting that file mentioned in the above link.
My amazon folder is empty.

Quote:
I'm no wine expert sadly so I can't tell you much more than that but I would also mention that have wine ticks installed with likely VC90 and other relevant bits like fonts and that also might be part of the issue.
Does it work for you with winetricks?

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #7
NicWest

sorry for late response, yes my kindle previewer is working and I have winetricks, I believe the cmd you need to run is "winetricks vcrun2008".

Hopefully you've fixed this though!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
'I' before 'E' (except after 'C') applies to spam as well.

—which probably doesn't make much sense now that the mods have removed (and rightly so) the preceding spam.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-16-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Continuity edit
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote