Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
10 Things Amazon should correct in the Kindle

Ran across this blog post...

http://guidohenkel.com/2011/09/10-th...in-the-kindle/

Thought it was interesting. I haven't ran across too many of these (or maybe I just don't pay that much attention to them when I do).
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool excellent post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Ran across this blog post...

http://guidohenkel.com/2011/09/10-th...in-the-kindle/

Thought it was interesting. I haven't ran across too many of these (or maybe I just don't pay that much attention to them when I do).
excellent post, i've noticed about 2/3 of them.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If Amazon went with ePub, some of those issues would go away.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
They left out PDF reflowing, which is by far the biggest correction Amazon needs to make.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Most of them are moans from a designer's point of view that they can't force a particular layout on readers. One of the things I like is that everything looks the way I want it to look. Lots of paper books are spoiled by designers going wild or not really knowing how to design books properly.

The non-justification of some lines, I always assumed that was deliberate so that you didn't get too much space between words when there is a very long word at the line break. Hyphenation would probably fix it, but I'd rather have it like that than read lots of lines of text with hyphenated words at the end.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Not a bad list. I would point out that the first item on his list has absolutely nothing to do with the Kindle, though.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
#6 is one thing I am glad it does not have. I do not nor will ever like Hyphenation. It drives me batty. I find in most Reader software it never works correctly and in some books every line is hyphenated. If added it's needs to be optional.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Yes, I've had to tweak a lot of converted epubs because of the em spacing handling bug in kindle.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
They left out PDF reflowing, which is by far the biggest correction Amazon needs to make.
Not really. The Kindle is an ebook reader. PDF is not an ebook format. Trying to use PDF for a purpose it was neither designed nor intended for is always going to be an exercise in frustration, and that's not Amazon's fault.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not really. The Kindle is an ebook reader. PDF is not an ebook format. Trying to use PDF for a purpose it was neither designed nor intended for is always going to be an exercise in frustration, and that's not Amazon's fault.
I disagree. PDFs are more readable on my phone than they are on my Kindle, which is sad. Amazon chose to directly support PDFs. There's no point in doing it if you're going to do it badly. Based on what I've seen on my phone, most plain text PDFs would be perfectly readable on the Kindle with reflow.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

#5 certainly isn't a bug; it's done deliberately to improve readability.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I disagree. PDFs are more readable on my phone than they are on my Kindle, which is sad. Amazon chose to directly support PDFs. There's no point in doing it if you're going to do it badly. Based on what I've seen on my phone, most plain text PDFs would be perfectly readable on the Kindle with reflow.
You misunderstand me. What I meant was that PDF itself is being used inappropriately. There's absolutely no reason to create a plain text PDF. If you want a reflowable text format, then use a proper reflowable text format, not PDF.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #13
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You misunderstand me. What I meant was that PDF itself is being used inappropriately. There's absolutely no reason to create a plain text PDF. If you want a reflowable text format, then use a proper reflowable text format, not PDF.
Oh, yes, I agree with that. PDF isn't an ebook format at all. But as long as we're stuck with it I wish the Kindle supported it better.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #14
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
#6 is one thing I am glad it does not have. I do not nor will ever like Hyphenation. It drives me batty. I find in most Reader software it never works correctly and in some books every line is hyphenated. If added it's needs to be optional.
I also hate hyphenation! I can understand it is useful in relatively narrow newspaper columns, but in an e-book hyphenation seems unnecessary and even ridiculous to me.

And I feel the author of the "10 things" lives still too much in the world of paper publishing, not e-book publishing. From my point of view, obligatory margins in an e-book would just be a big nuissance. Similarly, em spacing and full justification need to function differently in an e-book than in a p-book. With printing resolutions exceeding 300 dpi, kerning and variable font width, p-book spacing and justification can be absolutely perfect. On a screen 600 or 800 pixels wide it is not reasonable to expect perfect justification (not to mention processing power required for rendering such perfect pages).

I could perhaps agree with two of his points: floating objects and transparency. The former would require developing the Mobipocket format beyond the HTML-based logic, but would be welcome. Obviously, in HTML you can have floating objects, but they tend to misbehave if the viewer's screen resolution differs much from the designer's one. Just imagine what happens when the floating image, 700 pixels wide, needs to be surrounded by text on a 800-pixel screen
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote