Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #331
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
The order I read it all in. * is a novel.

Spoiler:
Dragon Tide
Necessary Evils
* Crystal Soldier
* Crystal Dragon
Eleutherios
Where the Goddess Sends
A Spell for the Lost
The Wine of Memory
* Balance of Trade
* Trade Secret
Naratha's Shadow
The Space at Tinsori Light
Sweet Waters
Phoenix
Pilot of Korval
A Choice of Weapons
The Beggar King
* Local Custom
* Scout's Progress
* Mouse and Dragon
Guaranteed Delivery
Veil of the Dancer
Heirloom
Intelligent Design
A Matter of Dreams
Moonphase
* Conflict of Honors
Fighting Chance
To Cut an Edge
Shadow Partner
A Day at the Races
Certain Symmetry
This House
Changeling
* Fledgling
Landed Alien
* Agent of Change
* Carpe Diem
Quiet Knives
* I Dare
Daughter of Dragons
Persistence
* Saltation
* Plan B
Breath's Duty
Misfits
* Ghost Ship
Moon on the Hills
Hidden Resources
Kin Ties
Prodigal Son
* Necessity's Child
* Dragon Ship
Skyblaze
Thank you very much!
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #332
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One question, where does The Tomorrow Log go in the list? It's part of the book The Tomorrow Log and Dragon Tide.
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #333
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
The Tomorrow Log isn't a Liaden novel.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #334
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
The Tomorrow Log isn't a Liaden novel.
Is is part of the Liaden Universe though.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:21 PM   #335
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is is part of the Liaden Universe though.
Nope.

In many ways it has the feel of a Liaden novel, but it's not really...
https://www.sfsite.com/08a/to133.htm
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 11:07 PM   #336
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Nope.

In many ways it has the feel of a Liaden novel, but it's not really...
https://www.sfsite.com/08a/to133.htm
Goodreads has The Tomorrow Log listed as part of the Liaden Universe. I guess they are wrong about this one.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:11 AM   #337
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I would not list it as Liaden. But YMMV. It's a good book, but my favourite authors. I bought it and I've read it. And re-read it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #338
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
And, like me, are probably cursing the fact that the sequel fell through when Meisha Merlin went under.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:24 AM   #339
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I would not list it as Liaden. But YMMV. It's a good book, but my favourite authors. I bought it and I've read it. And re-read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
And, like me, are probably cursing the fact that the sequel fell through when Meisha Merlin went under.
Yup. But that's a story that is permanently "cursed" in Ms. Lee's mind, and she will not entertain any suggestion that it should be revived. And, frankly, I don't think we want her diverted from the current plan of record- 5 Liaden books under contract. Of which the first is due to Madam the Editor on the 15th. And is essentially done.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:06 AM   #340
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Not even if a publisher like Baen waved money in her general direction?
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #341
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
Not even if a publisher like Baen waved money in her general direction?
Correct. She has very publicly said that she will never go back to it. And Baen is far more interested in getting her/them to write what they want to write than trying to get them to write to a story arc that never took off and has bad karma.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #342
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
In 2012, when I started the series I followed Xanthe's reading order in post 2 up until I Dare. Last summer I read the short stories in Unibus I. I then meant to get back to the novels, but that didn't happen.

I know I had decided to read in publication order, but for some reason I was planning to read The Crystal Variation before Balance of Trade. I don't remember why anymore So I though I'd ask if anyone had any recommendations for which to read first. If it's not really important, which is your favourite of the two?

And also, is there any chap books I definitely should read before I go back to the novels?
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #343
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Look at the spoiler in the quote at the top of the page (bizzybody's order), which indicates where the short stories fit in

There is a chapbook listing here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liaden_universe
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #344
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Look at the spoiler in the quote at the top of the page (bizzybody's order), which indicates where the short stories fit in
Thanks for that. I found bizzbody's message and I have copied his list. Now I can start reading once I finish Watership Down.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:06 AM   #345
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
I'd read the short stories "Intelligent Design" and "Euletherios" in Baen's free collections, and the novel "Fledgling" before getting my hands on the entire series to read straight through in chronological order, skipping over Fledgling because I'd already read it.

I found that having read Fledgling first gave quite a bit of "Ah ha." moments while reading some of the other books. Like having a peek at the future and knowing some of the consequences of what's happening now.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote