Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
chaznsc
Connoisseur
chaznsc began at the beginning.

Device: Mine
Just got my 505

Well, it arrived. The 505 BLUE arrived this afternoon.

Need a little help. I downloaded a PRC file today and calibre doesnt seem to want to send it to the sony. I figure its the wrong format.

What do I need to either load or convert this?

Thanks

chaz
chaznsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
In the top right section of Calibre you will see a place to set your output file. Choose lrf or epub. Select the book you want to convert. Click on the convert ebook button. After the conversion is completed send it to the Sony.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
If the book is not protected try this:

Highlight the book in Calibre, set output to LRF, Select Covert eBook, select MOBI, select ok.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Congrats on the new reader! the blue is gorgeous.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
chaz, enjoy your new toy
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #6
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
Congrats on your 505.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:15 AM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaznsc View Post
Well, it arrived. The 505 BLUE arrived this afternoon.

Need a little help. I downloaded a PRC file today and calibre doesnt seem to want to send it to the sony. I figure its the wrong format.

What do I need to either load or convert this?

Thanks

chaz
Congratulations on your new *BLUE* 505 and Welcome to MR.

In case you don't already know.. On the blue bar up above, click on ebooks. Then, on the drop down menu, click on either Sony BBeB (lrf) or ePub. Both of these formats open and are ready to read on the Sony.... They are totally free and beautifully hand formatted by some of the dedicated members on MR. Right now, the Sony lrf selection is larger than the ePub selection.

Where are you located and what operating system do you use? The answers to these questions help MR members give you better answers.

I don't have any experience with the prc format nor calibre. (I don't think that the Sony 505 uses prc )

Hopefully, a more experienced member will chime in with an answer that will help.

Last edited by dreams; 07-09-2009 at 02:24 AM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
Is there a way to download all the books at one time from this site? Sure it would be helpful to some people on this site, which would include me.
Or all epub books on site would be in one zip file. And then another one would some other format.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Got mine Last Sunday

Back in 2000 I was enthralled by the MS Reader and all the books available on Project Gutenburg and The University of Virginia. I spent much time reading classics on my computer, but then the Copyright laws changed extending the copyright period and I lost interest. On a recent trip to Dallas, the gentleman next to me had the Kindle 1, and I was really intrigued to see it. It did, to me, look a little cheap and the keyboard looked bothersome. Since I was going on vacation I spent some time reading a variety of reviews of the variations of the Kindle and Sony reader. I always travel with a laptop, so the wireless feature of the Kindle and the need for a keyboard were not important to me. The more open file system of the Sony against the larger e-library at Amazon were about even trade-offs. I am convinced that sooner or later Amazon will bend and start selling books formatted for the Reader.

So the final decision for me was the form factor. Having seen both machines the PRS 505LC just grabbed me. Having made the decision, I have no regrets or buyers remorse whatsoever. It is simply a great reader and I have already gone through two books in a short time.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
Wolfgang_HYM
Wolfgang_HYM began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I have my Sony PRS-505 for a week and I am happy with it. The PRS-505 does pretty much everything I hoped for. Reading is easy and due to the light weight one can read in almost every position. The ultimate test will be in two weeks when I take my reader with me on our vacation. We will see how everything works out after the trip, but so far I am happy. The sony was a good choice and even works on max thanks to calibre.

Regards

Wolfgang
Wolfgang_HYM is offline   Reply With Quote