Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Would you recommend Tom Clancy to someone who has never read military/spy novels?

Hey guys,

Tom Clancy is a prolific writer and a lot of people seem to love his work, so I'm curious more than anything. I feel neutral about the genre and I suppose that stems from being inexperienced with the material.

I usually read scifi and fantasy with a little bit of political non-fiction every once in a while.

Is he a good writer? Would his stuff interest someone like me?
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I surely would. I love the Jack Ryan series. Might as well start with the first (Hunt for Red October)

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I second that. Clancy is certainly among the very best of the genre and I can't think of a better author to begin with if you want to check out political/military thrillers. And yes, The Hunt for Red October is the perfect place to start. Good film too.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
CathrynLouis
Enthusiast
CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: iPad
Great books. I've worked on a couple of the projects in his books. We loved to read them for the 'shout outs'. Jack Ryan's a great character.
CathrynLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
I only read The Hunt for Red October - reluctantly - because I'd enjoyed the movie years earlier. I'd avoided Clancy thinking - guns, boats, planes shooting each other, yawn. But after reading THfRO, I realized that at, least until the last few of the series, his Jack Ryan series is about characters and relationships - and it wasn't just a series of "Jack Bigguns banked his plane 38.47 degrees while increasing throttle 8.3% resulting in him shooting everyone."

I was glad to expand my horizons.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
KNI
Connoisseur
KNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony PRS-650
Clancy's early books are very good indeed. Hunt For Red October is gripping and brilliant. Red Storm Rising was not as good; a little too overreaching. Patriot Games is very good, Cardinal of the Kremlin in my opinion one of his two best, along with "Hunt for Red October.
Without Remorse and Debt of Honor are very good. After that in my opinion he went downhill a lot, and indeed I suspect he used ghost writers. Rainbow Six is so bad I lost interest in his further efforts.
KNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Thanks folks. I'll check The Hunt for Red October after I'm done reading my current book (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?)
Old 06-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
No, I wouldn't. I have read and enjoyed the Jack Ryan books, but I think for someone new to the genre he is much too detail oriented.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
I very much enjoyed the Tom Clancy's starting with Hunt For Red October, Dale Brown's starting with Flight Of The Old Dog and Harold Coyle's starting with Sword Point. All 3 authors I eventually got a little tired of but the first 4-5 of each I thought were excellent. (and the first Clancy was Red Storm Rising, an excellent book)

The spy stuff, you can't do better than trying out Robert Ludlum's Bourne Identity or Trevanian's Shibumi. John Le Carre's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy if you like less adventure, more realistic.

Last edited by wayspooled; 06-15-2010 at 03:51 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
No, I wouldn't. I have read and enjoyed the Jack Ryan books, but I think for someone new to the genre he is much too detail oriented.
Surely that depends on the reader's preference.....? To say Clancy is unsuitable simply because he includes a lot of detail seems rather nonsensical to me. My first book of the genre was Red Storm Rising and I loved it, detail or no detail.

Last edited by Belfaborac; 06-15-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:36 AM   #11
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Without Remorse is one of my favorite books. I think its his best.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:21 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Red Storm Rising" is excellent. Of course, it's been overtaken by history (no more Soviet Union), but as a thriller, it's still one of my favourites.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #13
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
The Rainbow Six books were good reads too. Good Special Ops stuff where he didn't get too bogged down in the heavy techno details
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #14
rahulm
Zealot

I think what I would like is maybe stories about the psychology of the special/black ops soldiers and what goes through their minds when they are involved in high-stakes missions at the behest of their government. I don't really want pulpy nonsense action just for the sake of pulpy nonsense action.

Already planning on getting Red October, but anything like this from Clancy (or any other author really)?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #15
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Red Storm Rising is still a cracking good yarn about what could have happened if the Cold War had gone they way a lot of us expected it to in the 80's. Can't recommend it enough!
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote