Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Norton 2010 classes Calibre as high risk

I've just been upgraded to Norton 2010 & when I tried to run Calibre (6.40) it blocked & quarantined it classing it as high risk. I've tried excluding Calibre but NIS still keeps blocking. - Ideas anybody?

NIS 2009 never complained about Calibre
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger the rabbit View Post
I've just been upgraded to Norton 2010 & when I tried to run Calibre (6.40) it blocked & quarantined it classing it as high risk. I've tried excluding Calibre but NIS still keeps blocking. - Ideas anybody?

Friends., Don't let friends, do Norton

Spoiler:
(They deactivated mine (on a live system) a few years ago because it was the 4th install in months on the SAME hardware (reinstalled M$ XP ), with 6 months of updates left)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Also, be aware that you can't just uninstall Norton from the Windows control panel, you have to download a special program from Norton to make sure all the little program parts are really gone. This came as a freebie on my laptop, and I found out this out the hard way...

I use Avast and love it!
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Obvious that Norton programmers don't read ebooks.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe

See that link up there? That's the solution. That's how you actually remove Norton from your system. Face it, Norton is awful dreck. And if you value your computer, you will delete it and never look back. And you know, you'll find your system responds a lot better then it does now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I agree with the other suggestions. Remove Norton. Find a decent free better virus scan and move on. I like Avast myself too. Avira and AVG are still good too I think.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like Comodo.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
I agree with the other suggestions. Remove Norton. Find a decent free better virus scan and move on. I like Avast myself too. Avira and AVG are still good too I think.
Forget AVG. I used to run the free version, but when they changed it to version 8, it got all bloated and slowed down the computer. Total cock up there. Went from good to crap.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Forget AVG. I used to run the free version, but when they changed it to version 8, it got all bloated and slowed down the computer. Total cock up there. Went from good to crap.
Good to know. Hadn't looked at it for a while.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #10
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
I've not yet upgraded to the nearest 6.40, but I have been using both NIS 2010 and Calibre for a while without any conflict. I'll try the latest Calibre tonight.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:41 AM   #11
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Microsoft has a virus scanner of its own. It is extremely good and fast. It is free to use.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/?mkt=en-us
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:43 AM   #12
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Thanks everybody for the responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Also, be aware that you can't just uninstall Norton from the Windows control panel, you have to download a special program from Norton to make sure all the little program parts are really gone. This came as a freebie on my laptop, and I found out this out the hard way...

I use Avast and love it!
Un & re install done by Norton utilities Totally transparent to me. Interestingly doing a full system scan afterwards found several occurrences of a Trojan which NIS2009 had missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Obvious that Norton programmers don't read ebooks.
Ha! you are assuming they can actually read! I'm beginning to wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe

See that link up there? That's the solution. That's how you actually remove Norton from your system. Face it, Norton is awful dreck. And if you value your computer, you will delete it and never look back. And you know, you'll find your system responds a lot better then it does now.
For various reasons I don't have a choice what A/V software I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsky View Post
I've not yet upgraded to the nearest 6.40, but I have been using both NIS 2010 and Calibre for a while without any conflict. I'll try the latest Calibre tonight.
It will be interesting to see if you have the same problems. Since posting it seems to be related to the *SONAR Protection* which you can turn off.

I've not done so yet but I intend to take this up with Symantec, unless Kovid has any ideas.
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:34 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm using an old build of Calibre (0.6.17) and Norton 2010 is fine with that!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks everybody for the responses

Un & re install done by Norton utilities Totally transparent to me. Interestingly doing a full system scan afterwards found several occurrences of a Trojan which NIS2009 had missed.
The idea is to UNINSTALL and NOT reinstall. Do not have Norton running on your system. Get rid of it. Keep it away from your data. Nobody said to reinstall. We've been trying to get you to part ways with Norton 2010.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Listen to the Wolf man
You already proved that Norton was incapable of keeping your system safe by finding stuff it let through.
AVG Free woks well if you tame some of the settings (Some, only if you can recognize the signs that mail or links may not be exactly what they seem).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote