Old 07-16-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Philip K. Dick

Hi,

If you enjoy Sci-Fi I can only recommand you all the books from Philip K Dick,
they are all so POWERFULL, I can really think of no other word.

I think his best books are "Ubik", "The man in the high castle" and
"Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said".

You can find them here :
http://www.ebookmall.com/ebooks-auth...ick-ebooks.htm

Good read
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Many books from Philip K. Dick are still in copyright, but a good chunk of his stories might not. It is currently under investigation. It will probably take a year or two to complete though.
Checking the copyright costs money. If anyone wants to donate then contact Greg Weeks. He has already freed H. Beam Piper for us.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
Many books from Philip K. Dick are still in copyright, but a good chunk of his stories might not. It is currently under investigation. It will probably take a year or two to complete though.
Checking the copyright costs money. If anyone wants to donate then contact Greg Weeks. He has already freed H. Beam Piper for us.
That's a very interesting information. I've read most of his novels but just a few short stories.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
You'd be surprised by how many movies you have seen based on his work.

Blade Runner
A.I.
Minority Report
Total Recall

There are more, but that's all I can recall off the top of my head.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

Blade Runner
A.I.
Minority Report
Total Recall

But don't let that keep you from reading them. For the most part, the movies are based quite loosely on his stories. Total Recall was barely related to We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, Paycheck seriously mangled Paycheck, and Imposter took liberties with The Imposter.

Read the originals. They're much, much better.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

Blade Runner
A.I.
Minority Report
Total Recall

Most of the movies are crap compared to his books. Blade Runner was a great movie, but completely different from Why do androids dream of electic sheep.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:41 PM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Most of the movies are crap compared to his books. Blade Runner was a great movie, but completely different from Why do androids dream of electic sheep.
Well I beg to differ! Maybe the movies are not like the books but for someone interested in near view futurology like me, Minority report was Great. The detailing in that movies is exquisite. Designers really outdid themselves.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I agree that the movie version of Minority Report was excellent (in spite of really not liking the actor in the lead role), but I have no trouble believing that the 'book' might still be better than the movie.

I haven't read it yet, but it's on my list of things to do.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:54 PM   #9
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
"A scanner darkly" is probably one of the best movie adapted from
one of Dick's books.
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:22 PM   #10
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post
"A scanner darkly" is probably one of the best movie adapted from
one of Dick's books.
True. It's very close to the book unlike most of these other adaptations too.

A Minority Report had a few nice design element, and nice special effects but the story and the character are nothing compared to a book from K Dick. It's way too "hollywood-like", lacking the kind of craziness and dark corners of K Dick's mind.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:51 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I agree with that 'craziness' of his as a feature of his writings.

The only one I've read so far was 'Ubik' and frankly it felt like it was written through a series of alcohol binges. It steered me away from further readings of his works.
I will give him an other try but if I feel that mid night depressive alcohol buzz again, he's out.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:27 AM   #12
prom king
Sloshed
prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sony PRS-500
If only I could find his novel "Our Friends from Frolix 8" somewhere.
prom king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #13
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I think I'll check his books out...I'm looking for something new to read at the moment anyway...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #14
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
I think I'll check his books out...I'm looking for something new to read at the moment anyway...
If you enjoyed the movie "The Truman Show," it's pretty much an uncredited adaptation of Dick's Time Out of Joint (my personal favorite of his works).

Last year's film "Next" was also based on a PKD story ("The Golden Man").

Oh, and one correction from above: A.I. isn't based on Dick. It's from Brian Aldiss' Supertoys Last All Summer Long.

Last edited by curtw; 01-07-2008 at 08:54 AM. Reason: correction
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #15
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I haven't watched the movie, so I'll just choose a book that has a nice-sounding title for a starter...if I enjoy that one I'll probably start reading everything he ever wrote, I usually do it that way...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote