Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
fivebells
fivebells began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle PDF reader

When zooming in on a PDF image, is there a way to specify the zoom window with greater resolution? The window choices which the Kindle gives me by default often have text cut off, particularly at the higher zoom ratios.
fivebells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
baccilus
Enthusiast
baccilus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I wish there was a feature like that too. We should be able to specify the size of the zoom window too.
baccilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
charonme
Zealot
charonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to behold

Device: K3
what about the "fit to screen" or "actual size" options? Did you try them in the landscape mode?
charonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Landscape mode seems to be the most convenient PDF feature for me. Helps much more than the several zoom levels that are available.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
baccilus
Enthusiast
baccilus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by charonme View Post
what about the "fit to screen" or "actual size" options? Did you try them in the landscape mode?
Fit to screen actually only works in landscape mode and 'actual size' introduces a zoom box which is very often smaller than the paragraph that we are trying to view. There is actually no way out other than viewing it in the landscape mode which I find extremely uncomfortable.
baccilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
outismetis
outismetis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
The Doukan firmware has solved all my PDF woes (and I read a lot of PDFs).
outismetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
fivebells
fivebells began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks, outismetis. The "smart layout" option in the duokan reader is just what I need.
fivebells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by outismetis View Post
The Doukan firmware has solved all my PDF woes (and I read a lot of PDFs).
As .pdfs are a major problem for me in Kindle can you please explain how Duokan solved your problems?
What are its differences?
GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:53 AM   #9
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
download Duokan....its PDF reader is fantastic....faster and loads more options.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I guess I've been lucky so far with pdf's. I use the java app on the pdfscissors/ site to crop the white space, then either just drop them on the Kindle or run them through Calibre to create a mobi file. So far, so good. What sort of problems do you have with pdf's on the Kindle?

I love the idea of installing a different firmware, but this one being Chinese puts me off. I can't even read anything in their forums. Too scary until English is catered to a bit more.
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #11
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaston View Post
I guess I've been lucky so far with pdf's. I use the java app on the pdfscissors/ site to crop the white space, then either just drop them on the Kindle or run them through Calibre to create a mobi file. So far, so good. What sort of problems do you have with pdf's on the Kindle?

I love the idea of installing a different firmware, but this one being Chinese puts me off. I can't even read anything in their forums. Too scary until English is catered to a bit more.
Well all this procedure is a bit of a problem for me. I have hundreds of .pdfs and I cannot bother doing all this fuss for reading them.
That's why I'm asking about this chinese fw.
GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
GlassX - Ahh right, I can understand why you wouldn't want to do this then! I have a couple of dozen pdf's at most, so it's not too bad. Hundreds would be tedious in the extreme.
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:58 AM   #13
outismetis
outismetis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassX View Post
Well all this procedure is a bit of a problem for me. I have hundreds of .pdfs and I cannot bother doing all this fuss for reading them.
That's why I'm asking about this chinese fw.
It's available in (imperfect) English now, just use and bookmark this site: http://flip.netzbeben.de/2010/11/duo...ish-gui-today/.

I have a thousand academic journal articles in PDF, so I'm totally with you in not wanting to crop everything. Doukan lets you simulate a crop with each pdf to remove any whitespace. Open, set margin crop, enjoy.
outismetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:52 AM   #14
BranMakMorn
Enthusiast
BranMakMorn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by outismetis View Post
It's available in (imperfect) English now, just use and bookmark this site: http://flip.netzbeben.de/2010/11/duo...ish-gui-today/.

I have a thousand academic journal articles in PDF, so I'm totally with you in not wanting to crop everything. Doukan lets you simulate a crop with each pdf to remove any whitespace. Open, set margin crop, enjoy.
Thanks a lot for the tip! I am exactly in your situation (academic journals and books in pdf) and so far i've only read in landscape mode...

Just a question: will installing Duokan erase my existing books/collections/highlights?
BranMakMorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:02 AM   #15
biodu
Enthusiast
biodu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Hello BranMakMorn,
no - Duokan leaves everything as is. You can read the Kindle documents (stored in folder "documents") from Duokan. Just activate on the Duokan menu "Read Kindle content" (-> set it to YES).
Furthermore Duokan reads subdirectories (Kindle collections wont be seen). So I recommend to organise your journals in subdirectories within folder "documents" to have a order in Duokan.

Greetings
biodu is offline   Reply With Quote