Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 04:21 AM   #1
TreeHugger
TreeHugger began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-300
WHSmith problems with purchased eBooks

Hello Everyone!
I have just joined because I need some help. As I can see there are quite a few experienced eBookers on the forum.

I own a Sony PRS-300 Reader which I'm very happy with, and I have been buying approximately 15 books from WHSmith which are on the reader. Recently I have been having problems with my computer which were sorted by wiping the C drive and then re-installing everything. The only problem is that I now can no longer read the books I bought from WHSmith. While they still show as being on the reader, when I click on the book, it shows as 'Protected Page' and I cannot get into the book. I can also not download the books again as the WHSmith system seems to think that I now have a new computer.

I have contaced WHSmith's dedicated eBook service team who simply said that there was nothing they could do about it. I now have £80 worth of books on my reader which I can no longer read.

Incidentally, I had some Waterstones eBooks on this reader as well, and when I contacted them about the same problem, they refunded me the money for these books so that I can buy them again, but WHSmith won't budge.

Any suggestions what I can do? I would be really grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.
TreeHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:55 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ....

Sorry about your problem, have a look in the Sony Forum (link main forum page), and perhaps post there.

Surprised that WHSmith thinks you have a 'new computer' when any other piece of software would, normally, not do so unless you changed some hardware components. Wonder what WHS is looking at ? ADE of course ! (Thanks pdurrant)

If you have that much on your reader, if you can return them to the PC, then de-DRM them (unlock them) and transfer back....

[Try google search for solutions to remove DRM from your books - it's easier than it sounds ]

Last edited by GeoffC; 09-30-2010 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Incorrect advice struck out ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 05:02 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeHugger View Post
Hello Everyone!
I have just joined because I need some help. As I can see there are quite a few experienced eBookers on the forum.

I own a Sony PRS-300 Reader which I'm very happy with, and I have been buying approximately 15 books from WHSmith which are on the reader. Recently I have been having problems with my computer which were sorted by wiping the C drive and then re-installing everything. The only problem is that I now can no longer read the books I bought from WHSmith. While they still show as being on the reader, when I click on the book, it shows as 'Protected Page' and I cannot get into the book. I can also not download the books again as the WHSmith system seems to think that I now have a new computer.

I have contaced WHSmith's dedicated eBook service team who simply said that there was nothing they could do about it. I now have £80 worth of books on my reader which I can no longer read.

Incidentally, I had some Waterstones eBooks on this reader as well, and when I contacted them about the same problem, they refunded me the money for these books so that I can buy them again, but WHSmith won't budge.

Any suggestions what I can do? I would be really grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.
It sounds like you never registered an Adobe ID. In which case, your books were linked to the particular installation on your computer, instead of to something you could reproduce (i.e. the id/password combination of an Adobe ID).

Since your computer has been wiped, you no longer have the codes needed to read the books, and because of that, you cannot now remove the DRM either. (Unless you have a backup of your old computer data somewhere?)

It seems to me that WH Smith are being a bit foolish in customer service and reputation terms. But I don't think there's anything you can do except avoid them in the future and tell other people about your experience.

Oh - and make sure you register an Adobe ID now, and I'd also advise stripping the DRM, just in case. After all, there's no guarantee that Adobe will continue to provide DRM servers in the future.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:03 AM   #4
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
A far more experienced user than I .... ignore my suggestions !
Old 09-30-2010, 05:04 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
If you have that much on your reader, if you can return them to the PC, then de-DRM them (unlock them) and transfer back....

[Try google search for solutions to remove DRM from your books - it's easier than it sounds ]
Unfortunately not. None of the de-drm schemes actually crack the encryption. They just use the stored decryption keys to reproduce what happens when the book is read.

If the books can't be read on his computer, he can't de-drm them.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 05:05 AM   #6
GeoffC

^^^^^
I gathered that from your previous post ....
Old 09-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hi and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Welcome to MR! I do hope you get our dilemma straightened out.

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi TreeHugger and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome I hope you get it worked out
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #11
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #12
TreeHugger
TreeHugger began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-300
Thanks, Grasshopper, will look into your ideas!
TreeHugger is offline   Reply With Quote