Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-15-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
slight electric shock when using ac adaptor

I just got my reader. Looks perfect. I notice, though, that when I try to power it up using the supplied AC adaptor - any place (on the brushed metal) that I touch give off a slight electric shock. When I unplug the cord it stopped. Also, using the usb to power the reader doesn't give off any shock, only the AC adaptor. Anybody experienced anything like that? Should I return the unit?? I'm loath to return the reader, after it took so long to get here ---
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
There is a problem. Mine does not do that and I suspect if many did there would be a total recall. Since the problem is most likly in the charger, call Sony and see if they can just exchange the charger. This means that you can still recharge using the USB (as long as it does not completely drain, someone else mentioned that if the battery is completely dead only the charger will work to start the recharge.)

I don't expect that they will want you to return the whole unit. However, if the second charger still produces the same problem then it is the unit.

As an alternative you might try charging from a PSP adapter if you have one around or know of someone that has one. I use a PSP adapter tip on my iGo Juice universal charger and there was a thread a time back where someone made a charger from standard parts available at any Radio Shack store.

Welcome to the Land of Pleasent Reading.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

You really think it is just the charger? are you sure? I really hope you are right --- though that leaves how I call sony and ask them to replace the charger when I'm an international customer and shouldn't even have a unit.....
Old 03-15-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I second the suggestion to try the PSP Charger -- it's the quickest way to see if the problem is the charger or the unit itself. That'll let you decide what the best course is. I expect that if it's just the charger, it'd be less trouble and expense to just buy a PSP charger of your own, compared to exchanging the Reader one.

I hope that's the problem.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
What NatCh said. Sorry I forgot that you were not in the US. The specs on the charger are 5.2-5.4 v and ~1.5 Amps which match up with the Play Station Portable charger. It sounds like a some of the line voltage is seeping past the transformer to the unit and finding a ground through you hand when you touch it. A straight 5.4 v @ 1.5 Amps would not give you a tingle.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I have the same. It's a small tingle when you move your finger over the brushed metal. It feels like the 50Hz buzz. You can feel the same when you plug your computer in a non grounded socket and touch the casing. I have this with many devices and I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Maybe it has to do with the fact we have 230V (or do you have 110V?) I think because of the 230V there is some induction on the ground wire that leads to the Reader when connected to the charger. With the PSP charger I have it as well.

More people with 230V can confirm this?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:54 PM   #7
Dave Berk
Fanatic

thanks for your help RWood and NatCh. I really appreciate it. Checking my PSP adaptor it says 5v while the reader adaptor read 5.2v. Does the difference matter? I'm no expert at electronics.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

simple dave check my post above you. And no, it doesn't matter the PSP charger is 5 Volts.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
Dave Berk
Fanatic

diabloNL, Yes, I'm 230v. Though I never had anything like that before. I'm not scared for myself, becuase as you say it's not a serious bite (I've had some serious shocks, mostly from the christmas lights, the kind that you tie on the tree) , but I'm afraid it might damage the reader..

edit: sorry, yes, we posted at the same time..
Old 03-15-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple dave
diabloNL, Yes, I'm 230v. Though I never had anything like that before. I'm not scared for myself, becuase as you say it's not a serious bite (I've had some serious shocks, mostly from the christmas lights, the kind that you tie on the tree) , but I'm afraid it might damage the reader..

edit: sorry, yes, we posted at the same time..

Don't worry, it won't damage your Reader. And I have had many electric shocks (no not those ones ) I even past out one time when I was holding the grounding and touched 380V live.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:16 PM   #11
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Wow. That's a killing shock. You were lucky to survive. What were you doing? I thought it illegal to enable elctric current over 230v in private homes...
Old 03-16-2007, 01:44 AM   #12
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

It was an industrial installation and I was alone there. Luckily I survided!
Old 03-16-2007, 03:43 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
I have the same. It's a small tingle when you move your finger over the brushed metal. It feels like the 50Hz buzz. You can feel the same when you plug your computer in a non grounded socket and touch the casing. I have this with many devices and I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
Same here. I don't think it's an "electric" shock, just a 50Hz vibration.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:07 AM   #14
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Quote:
Same here. I don't think it's an "electric" shock, just a 50Hz vibration.
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what's a 50Hz vibration? From diabloNL I thought it just a weak electric shock.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:25 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps I'm wrong, but what I think is happening is that the charger is resonating at the mains frequency of 50Hz, and that's what we can feel with our fingers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote