Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Jetbook Discoveries

I have been testing on my Jetbook and found some interesting facts about performance and directory structure.

My current version of firmware is 33H

The deeper the directory structure is on the SD card the longer it takes a book to open and the greater the chance for open "Hangs" or failure to load.

My original directory structure was as follows:

SD CARD

calibre
|__Adventure
|__Classics
|__Sci-Fi
| |__Heinlein
| |__Brooks
| |__McCaffery
| |__Crystal Singer
| | |__Crystal Singer.epub
| |__Doona
| |__Doona.epub
|_Technical

So my books were no less than 5 levels deep and it would take minutes to open the book and sometimes it would lock up in an hourglass loop

I changed my directory structure to the following and books open in 10 seconds or less

Heinlein
Brooks
McCaffery
|__Crystal Singer.epub
|__Doona.epub

I just wanted to post this before others go to all the work of structuring their libraries only to find problems. I have informed Ectaco of the problem and they are aware of it to fix it in future revisions.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Folder Structure and time to open books

Thanks for this observation! My SD card is also set up like your second method (Root folders = Author names, and each book is a file in that author folder, 2 levels maximum) and I find that all my books open in seconds and of course the reader remembers where I was in each book.

BTW I use DRM free epub and rtf formats, don't know if that makes a difference; waiting for firmware fixes (following the progress as reported by others in this forum!) before tackling DRMed ereader and epub etc even though the jetBook Lite is "supposed" to be able to read them. My venture into opening an ereader file was only semi-successful as the font was tiny and non-adjustable with my current firmware.

I am using the .14i firmware that came on my jetBook Lite last week; have not upgraded (yet). As an aside, my battery indicator is still at 3 bars after a week of occasional use, maybe 14 hours or so? Using MAHA Powerex rechargeables.

Anyway, I am a very happy camper with my jetBook Lite "as is" and it seems that things will only get better with time and improvements in the firmware.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
heffe2001
Zealot
heffe2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage 3g
Tech support told me that 33h was extremely unstable, which is why they haven't 'released' it. Was told to stick with the previous firmware, but I haven't reloaded it yet to see if it makes any difference.
heffe2001 is offline   Reply With Quote