Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #31
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Hi! I responded to your question in the thread you started. I also edited the how-to guide in this thread.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:28 PM   #32
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Hi, everyone! In spite of my thesis I have updated the power management software for this hack. The new programs are modified versions of the original iRex software battery.o and powerMgr. They should "just work", and should work for almost any battery size. See the first post of the thread for links and details. Enjoy!
Old 01-31-2009, 07:16 PM   #33
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
Hi, everyone! In spite of my thesis I have updated the power management software for this hack. The new programs are modified versions of the original iRex software battery.o and powerMgr. They should "just work", and should work for almost any battery size. See the first post of the thread for links and details. Enjoy!
Thanks jharker. I guess I need to get off my backside and swap out my batteries.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:19 PM   #34
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Quick question. Will this work with the updated content lister software? I believe it also modifies start.sh.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:08 PM   #35
jharker
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Quick question. Will this work with the updated content lister software? I believe it also modifies start.sh.
Good question. I haven't looked at the contentLister mod yet. However, the changes in this are relatively minor.

I would install contentLister first, then add these three lines near the beginning of start.sh:
Code:
depmod
modprobe -r battery
modprobe battery
You can read the README for more details, but it should be pretty obvious where to put it.

The point of the change is to remove the original iRex battery module from the kernel and then load the new one. This kluge-y workaround is necessary because the iRex battery.o file is located in the boot-time ramdisk. It's inaccessible, can't be replaced easily, hence the kluge. Shouldn't affect anything else, though...

If you're worried about messing up start.sh in a way that would cause freezes at boot, I highly recommend using something like this to test your modifications. That's what I do.

Last edited by jharker; 01-31-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:53 PM   #36
tudou331100
Enthusiast
tudou331100 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad V1, palm treo 650
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
After I installed jharker's powermanager 0.11, I installed content lister and it's works very well

Thank you!John! You did a excellent job!

Just now I installed powermr 090, it works perfect!

For the question of Goodbar, you need to install content lister again after you install the powermr, and it works very well for me.

Last edited by tudou331100; 01-31-2009 at 09:26 PM.
tudou331100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:53 PM   #37
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Great, thanks for the info.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:05 PM   #38
jharker
Developer

Yes, I looked at the newLister installer. It's pretty smart and modifies the existing start.sh inplace. So you can do it either way. If you install powermanager 0.90 first, then newLister, then everything should work automatically. If you install newLister first, then you should manually edit start.sh when you install powermanager... or as tudou says, you can reinstall newManager afterwards.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:09 PM   #39
jharker
Developer

This just occurred to me. I want to re-emphasize something from the guide:

The new batteries MUST be the same voltage before you install them. If they are too different, it is possible that the current flow will fry something on the board. I don't think it would necessarily happen (there may be safeguards), but it's possible and you should be aware of the chance. Make sure that you even out the batteries before you solder them on. I'll add emphasis to this in the guide, too.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #40
tudou331100
Enthusiast

Recently a body found his MMC card cannot be recognized by iliad after installing the powermangement V0.90, I have used SD card and had the same problem which I thought my SD card was broken. Any way the CF card works very well, it is not a big problem
Old 02-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #41
jharker
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudou331100 View Post
Recently a body found his MMC card cannot be recognized by iliad after installing the powermangement V0.90, I have used SD card and had the same problem which I thought my SD card was broken. Any way the CF card works very well, it is not a big problem
Thank you for reporting this bug! I hadn't noticed it because I don't use external cards very much.

Basically v0.90 is just the original iRex software with a couple of small changes. My mod shouldn't have anything to do with MMC/SD cards... I'm not sure how this bug is happening. I don't have much time right now, but in a few weeks I'll have a chance to try to find the problem.

Thanks again!
Old 02-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #42
vblars
Enthusiast
vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD FrontLight
Hi.

Is their any problems with changing battery as jharker has described for a iliad ver 2 ??

Greetings

Lars
vblars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:48 AM   #43
tudou331100
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
Thank you for reporting this bug! I hadn't noticed it because I don't use external cards very much.

Basically v0.90 is just the original iRex software with a couple of small changes. My mod shouldn't have anything to do with MMC/SD cards... I'm not sure how this bug is happening. I don't have much time right now, but in a few weeks I'll have a chance to try to find the problem.

Thanks again!
Never Mind. We've already shift to CF card which works very well, you do not need to hurry
Old 02-18-2009, 04:51 AM   #44
tudou331100
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vblars View Post
Hi.

Is their any problems with changing battery as jharker has described for a iliad ver 2 ??

Greetings

Lars
I don't know much about the software mod of ILIAD V2,but the the space of the iliad in the back of V2 is different with V1, if you can find enough space for larger battery you cannot mod it
Old 02-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #45
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vblars View Post
Hi.

Greetings

Lars
No problem at all. You'll still need to modify the back casing by cutting away some of the internal bracing, but it works pretty much just like the V1.