Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
NEED SERIOUS HELP FOR KINDLE.

I have seen a book at Books on Board that I am coveting. It's called 'Dave Barry Hits Below the Beltway' I have all of his other books and it's not in Mobipocket.
BoB have it in: Adobe Digital, Microsoft Reader and eReader. Is there any way that I could convert any of these so that I could read it on my Kindle, and is there any *charm* which I could use as I am now with the MobiDeDRM4? If so, would it be possible for some kind soul to walk me through it?

Still have not been able to update from MobiDeDRM4 to v 5.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I'm trying to get out the door so I can go pick my wife up at work, so I can't look for the thread. However, there is a program called convert lit that "explodes" MS Reader files that can then be converted to Mobi by MobiPocket Creator. If you search the forum, there is a thread on Convert Lit that has the links you'll need and a good description of how to use it. Then search Mobipocket Creator and follow the isntructions there. Tomorrow, when I have a bit more time, I'll check on your progress and try to be more helpful...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you have a Windows PC, then MS Reader may be your best option. Explode (extract) this with "ConvertLIT GUI" and point Windows MobiPocket Reader or Creator onto the .opf file to convert to MOBI. If you use MobiPocket Reader the MOBI will end up in your default ebook directory (My Documents\My eBooks).

The best place to start to look for copies of the mobidedrm python script is in the responses to DarkReverser's Weblog. Since 0.05 just came out, start with the most recent responses. The Dark Reverser originally posted the python script (source code) to pastebin.com, it gets deleted from there periodically but if you find it there the download is .txt which needs to be renamed .py.

You have obviously format shifted other DRMed ebooks, but don't forget that this isn't necessarily legal (even for personal use) depending on where you live.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Many thanks.
I will be able to sit down and try a few suggestion tomorrow afternoon.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
nohmi2
Pensively observing.

I have bought and downloaded book from BoB.
It shows up perfectly in MS Reader.
Kept a copy in DOCS/My Library

Downloaded Convert Lit GUI.
Ran Recovery Tool.
In Convert Lit GUI Entered book from My Library
with Docs/My ebooks as output.

It still comes up in Ms Reader.
Sorry, I will need help from here.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I thought Convert Lit only Removes the DRM,

Load it in a program like book designer, and Save it as a PRC for your kindle. or use ABC Amber Lit Convert, turn it into a Text File, and Load it on your Kindle

(i would prefer book designer for the formatting options)
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
Downloaded Convert Lit GUI.
Ran Recovery Tool.
In Convert Lit GUI Entered book from My Library
with Docs/My ebooks as output. It still comes up in Ms Reader.
You want to extract the LIT, which explodes the ebook into HTML, images and a .opf metafile. See the attached screenshot (don't forget to select filename subfolders). Now all you need to do is import the .opf file into Windows MobiPocket Creator (one way is to right click on the .opf file and select Windows MobiPocket Creator as the application, or select File -> Open within MobiPocket Creator).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ConvertLIT_GUI.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	20983  

Last edited by wallcraft; 01-12-2009 at 11:30 PM. Reason: MobiPocket Creator (not Reader)
Old 01-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
It still comes up in Ms Reader.
I don't know what you mean by this. After you run ConvertLIT on it, you should have a deDRMed version of the file (make sure you downconvert). Then, you will need to convert it to mobi or LRF, not sure which reader you have.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:43 PM   #9
nohmi2
Pensively observing.

I will do my homework tomorrow, when I have printed out the suggestions.
I also have the MobiDeDRMv5 now.

My legs are growing roots now, as I have been planted in front of the computer for ages, but still love it.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:16 PM   #10
nohmi2
Pensively observing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
You want to extract the LIT, which explodes the ebook into HTML, images and a .opf metafile. See the attached screenshot (don't forget to select filename subfolders). Now all you need to do is import the .opf file into Windows MobiPocket Reader (one way is to right click on the .opf file and select Windows MobiPocket Reader as the application, or select import within MobiPocket Reader). The resulting MOBI will be in your default MOBI directory, probably My Documents\My eBooks.
I have managed to get as far as importing the resulting .opf file into MobiPocket Reader. Right clicked and was not given option to go in MPR.
Went into MPR and Import and was told that it was not a supported file.
Stumped.
Thanks for help so far.
What am I doing wrong?
Old 01-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
I have managed to get as far as importing the resulting .opf file into MobiPocket Reader. Right clicked and was not given option to go in MPR.
Went into MPR and Import and was told that it was not a supported file.
My mistake. Use MobiPocket Creator Publisher Edition.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:28 AM   #12
nohmi2
Pensively observing.

Many thanks. I have downloaded it, and will play with it tomorrow.

Leep has been helping me (If I was able to confer sainthood on her I would) and being me, I am going through her instructions very, very slowly.

Having finally managed to learn program from Leep, and now have another *charm* from her which gives me more options for my Kindle.

Last edited by nohmi2; 01-19-2009 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Update