Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-25-2015, 05:12 AM   #1
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Charter eInk (optimized font for eInk)

We have been talking about typefaces for eInk, how they are optimized, whether or not they need hinting, Google's and Amazon's efforts... So, I have decided to optimize and share a typeface with you.

This is a modification of Matthew Carter's Bitstream Charter. Charter was originally designed for early laser printers in 1987. Office printers back then usually had 300 dpi, so Charter has, according to the Carter, "a very simplified structure and a minimum number of curves, more straight-line segments [...]."

This features also make it very suitable for eInk screens.

In 1992, Bitstream donated the typeface to the X Consortium, allowing it to be modified and redistributed. Today, Charter has two main distributions, xcharter and Charis SIL. While xcharter only adds missing features like kerning, small caps and ligatures, Charis SIL is almost a redesign. Core of the font is still the same with Charter, but some glyphs are modified and many are added.

I, being a fan of Matthew Carter, decided to base this modification on xcharter, I believe it is more faithful to the source. You might also know Carter by some of his other typefaces: Miller, Tahoma, Verdana, Georgia, Big Caslon and Galliard.

There is also another optimization of Charter done by MobileRead member JSWolf, it is based on Charis SIL. You can find it here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056

I kept my modifications very simple. I added some weight, roughened some very fine details (eInk still has problems with very fine details, I believe we are better like this), optimized the font files and fixed kernings for Kobo ePubs. Final product also doesn't have hints, but you can add them with ttfautohint. There is a discussion here whether or not you should: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=259705

Type also has lower base size and line spacing values than what we normally see, I believe this would help with devices like Kobo ereaders which has high values at their lowest settings.

And here is a photo from Kobo Glo:

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Charter_eInk.zip (199.9 KB, 1161 views)

Last edited by GERGE; 03-18-2017 at 02:35 PM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:27 PM   #2
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
We have been talking about typefaces for eInk, how they are optimized, whether or not they need hinting, Google's and Amazon's efforts... So, I have decided to optimize and share a typeface with you.

This is a modification of Matthew Carter's Bitstream Charter. Charter was originally designed for early laser printers in 1987. Office printers back then usually had 300 dpi, so Charter has, according to the Carter, "a very simplified structure and a minimum number of curves, more straight-line segments [...]."

This features also make it very suitable for eInk screens.

In 1992, Bitstream donated the typeface to the X Consortium, allowing it to be modified and redistributed. Today, Charter has two main distributions, xcharter and Charis SIL. While xcharter only adds missing features like kerning, small caps and ligatures, Charis SIL is almost a redesign. Core of the font is still the same with Charter, but some glyphs are modified and many are added.

I, being a fan of Matthew Carter, decided to base this modification on xcharter, I believe it is more faithful to the source. You might also know Carter by some of his other typefaces: Miller, Tahoma, Verdana, Georgia, Big Caslon and Galliard.

There is also another optimization of Charter done by MobileRead member JSWolf, it is based on Charis SIL. You can find it here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184056

I kept my modifications very simple. I added some weight, roughened some very fine details (eInk still has problems with very fine details, I believe we are better like this), optimized the font files and fixed kernings for Kobo ePubs. Final product also doesn't have hints, but you can add them with ttfautohint. There is a discussion here whether or not you should: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=259705

Type also has lower base size and line spacing values than what we normally see, I believe this would help with devices like Kobo ereaders which has high values at their lowest settings.

Here is the file: http://drop.muratcansimsek.com/Charter%20eInk.zip (222 kb)

And here is a photo from Kobo Glo:

Enjoy!
What did you use to modify it? I'm looking to give Verdana more weight at some point.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:47 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Minor suggestion; exclude the MAC "crud" from the zip file; the _MACOSX folder and the .DS_Store file
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:58 AM   #4
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I updated the link, I honestly forgot about them =)

To do this, I used FontForge.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:52 AM   #5
GERGE
Guru

Apparently, I uploaded a broken link while fixing OS X forks. Sorry about that. It is working now.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
bel3atar
Connoisseur
bel3atar began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
I am looking for Bookerly's eInk version.
I only found the LCD version of it.

@GERGE would it be possible to optimise the LCD version to better suit eInk displays?
bel3atar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:02 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bel3atar View Post
I am looking for Bookerly's eInk version.
I only found the LCD version of it.

@GERGE would it be possible to optimise the LCD version to better suit eInk displays?
The eInk version of Bookerly is available in the firmware for the Kindle PW series and the Voyage. There is a post someplace on MR on how to get into the firmware using Windows.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:10 AM   #8
db105
Zealot
db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The link to download this font in the original post is not working. Does anyone have a mirror?

Thanks!
db105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by db105 View Post
The link to download this font in the original post is not working. Does anyone have a mirror?

Thanks!
You can locate the font in several of the megaupdates for Kobo firmware. I've also attached the font here in a .zip file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Charter_eInk.zip (199.9 KB, 581 views)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #10
GERGE
Guru

I didn't know the links weren't working. Thanks, fixed.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:36 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
I didn't know the links weren't working. Thanks, fixed.
No, not all fixed. There is a photo in the first post that's not properly displayed. Please fix that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote