Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
Bug/feature tracking mechanism?

I am wondering what is required to setup a bug/feature tracking system/mechanism for the IREX devices. This forum is a good place to post anything, but not very good for tracking bugs/feature requirements. Anybody knows how to setup a new project on launchpad?
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Maybe MobileRead can supply some kind of service for this? I guess that owners of other devices would also want a 'known issue' list.
This mechanism will need some moderation to avoid too many duplicates (and thus keep the overview) and some severity (how worse is the problem) and a priority (how fast, would we users, want to have this fixed). A 'work-around' section would also be usefull, specially for the DR where the source code for the firmware is released and thus users can make their own patches.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 03:38 AM   #3
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
the developers hub: https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/hub/
has this kind of function... it uses tickets people can file a bug or a feature request
people must register for the dev hub and it has moderation included

but I am not sure this would be allowed by MR, because this project wouldn't develop something, no open source code is created. If it's ok with them, I'd happy to moderate it.
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli View Post
but I am not sure this would be allowed by MR, because this project wouldn't develop something, no open source code is created. If it's ok with them, I'd happy to moderate it.
It would be a good place to archive/collect patched firmware code! (to fix/work-around the issues in the official firmware).
Old 06-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Ideally, you would probably want a bug tracker that was run by iRex, not a third party site.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 05:51 AM   #6
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Ideally, you would probably want a bug tracker that was run by iRex, not a third party site.
Well, that depends, I think that we as users would want to determine the priority, from a user point of view. Also as a user we would want to determine if a problem is a problem (e.g. no continues zoom on 800, from a user point of view could be considered a bug, from irex it seems to be a marketing choice). Having it hosted by iRex could mean that you lose some freedom.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Well, that depends, I think that we as users would want to determine the priority, from a user point of view. Also as a user we would want to determine if a problem is a problem (e.g. no continues zoom on 800, from a user point of view could be considered a bug, from irex it seems to be a marketing choice). Having it hosted by iRex could mean that you lose some freedom.
Maybe, but ultimately you'd need participation from them on the tracker in order to get the bugs fixed. Or are we talking about a bug tracker for 3rd party apps?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Maybe, but ultimately you'd need participation from them on the tracker in order to get the bugs fixed.
Yes, but I assume that the problems reported here, or via their service desk, already end-up in their tracker. By having a 'user bug-list' you can better indicate the priority of a bug, as experienced by real-users, to iRex and get them high on their list for the next (bugfix-)release.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Yes, but I assume that the problems reported here, or via their service desk, already end-up in their tracker. By having a 'user bug-list' you can better indicate the priority of a bug, as experienced by real-users, to iRex and get them high on their list for the next (bugfix-)release.
Yeah, that's kind of what I had in mind as well. I just thought synchronization between a user tracker and the iRex tracker would be easier if it was the same tracker.