Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-25-2006, 05:55 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
iRex needs you to test their iLiad beta software

If you ever wanted to be called official beta tester for the iRex iLiad (like, you know, you have a compulsive need for finding more ways of bricking your iLiad), this is your chance. The dudes over at iRex are looking for volunteers, preferably with a technical background and unconditional love for the company, to sign up for the Beta Test Program aimed at finding bugs and problems related to the software.

Thanks to Janus for the news.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:56 AM   #2
Janus
Janus began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Beta Testers

iRex is looking for beta testers: http://developer.irexnet.com/home

Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2006, 07:30 AM   #3
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Hmm I supposse that a Non Disclosure Agreement does not bind me about illegal activities, does it? I mean, I supposse a beta-tester could disclose any GPL software the happens to have.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:38 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Already singed up
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:41 AM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Hehe, dont think theyll open up the machine to you It will be the same update process as it is now, just a bit earlier.

If you grab it on the way ... , well ... , everyone who is interested, probably will be a betatester anyway
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2006, 08:40 AM   #6
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
Hmm I supposse that a Non Disclosure Agreement does not bind me about illegal activities, does it? I mean, I supposse a beta-tester could disclose any GPL software the happens to have.
Funny you mention it, since I thought the same. Signing a NDA on a product that is based on GPL but for which there are still no SDK nor sources available - it just seems wrong to me.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:40 AM   #7
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
Hehe, dont think theyll open up the machine to you It will be the same update process as it is now, just a bit earlier.

If you grab it on the way ... , well ... , everyone who is interested, probably will be a betatester anyway
Isn't CommanderROR already part of the beta tester team? He should know more details... but then again, he probably signed an NDA and is thus forced to remain in eternal silence.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:04 AM   #8
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow
Funny you mention it, since I thought the same. Signing a NDA on a product that is based on GPL but for which there are still no SDK nor sources available - it just seems wrong to me.
they probably got the idea from SONY. A couple months ago I was notifyed about a Beta testing batch for the Reader, I even signed the NDA but then they changed mind and decided that the "developing" section was to be diferent of the "betatesting" section (so I never got a first hand eReader). The small print of the NDA in Sony allowed you to disclose any information you got "legally" from sources diferent than sony. But not comment about information you got "ilegally" from Sony themselves

Actually, the position about a beta software is that is is yet unrealeased so they are not yet GPL-bound because they are not distributing. Once the Beta becomes regular, the regular source code becomes GPL-bound, but not the beta. So they (both Sony and iLiad) are on the legal side here even if it sounds wrong.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:22 AM   #9
doctorow
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
they probably got the idea from SONY. A couple months ago I was notifyed about a Beta testing batch for the Reader, I even signed the NDA but then they changed mind and decided that the "developing" section was to be diferent of the "betatesting" section (so I never got a first hand eReader). The small print of the NDA in Sony allowed you to disclose any information you got "legally" from sources diferent than sony. But not comment about information you got "ilegally" from Sony themselves

Actually, the position about a beta software is that is is yet unrealeased so they are not yet GPL-bound because they are not distributing. Once the Beta becomes regular, the regular source code becomes GPL-bound, but not the beta. So they (both Sony and iLiad) are on the legal side here even if it sounds wrong.
Interesting distinction. Thanks for pointing it out! So even if I am just a regular consumer and not employeed by iRex in any way, handing out software after signing the NDA frees the software from being GPL-bound?
Old 09-25-2006, 09:38 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Interesting distinction. Thanks for pointing it out! So even if I am just a regular consumer and not employeed by iRex in any way, handing out software after signing the NDA frees the software from being GPL-bound?
Perhaps, perhaps not. But I don't think even GPL fanatics would be this picky. Unless, of course, a company would have all its customers sign a dummy NDA to circumvent GPL - that would be a different issue and is obviously not the case here.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:04 AM   #11
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
unless CF OS reloading is available for beta testers i think i'll wait for other ppl to brick their machines.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:30 AM   #12
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
yeah, if they included cf reloading and/or the sdk, i'd soo sign up right now.

but just for fixing the bugs in their 2 viewers, no thanks.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:51 AM   #13
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
well with beta testers they could be more daring with updates, which would make me even more nervous of signing up.
what do beta testers get out of this apart from get the update a few weeks ahead of everyone else.
if thats it then irex can get stuffed.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:08 AM   #14
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
same here. Bricking a 650 € device one time and loosing it for some weeks is one time to much. Until they get a boot loader with flash support, they can search their beta testers elsewhere (honestly said).

Last edited by b_k; 09-26-2006 at 11:20 AM. Reason: the price tag was a bit high
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:53 AM   #15
arivero
Guru

Quote:
??????????? Hmm, no, I think that the point is that beta software is still "private development", so not GPL-bound. Thus they (both Sony and, now, iRex) can legally claim NDA for any thing they sent to you as beta.