Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #31
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I would like to suggest that you attempt to write a short story about the desk that was once owned by Dickens. Other story elements could include a span of one or more centuries, several owners, and, let me see, a duck. As for the title, I suggest "My Hovercraft is Full of Eels".

I may just write that one anyway
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #32
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I may just write that one anyway
i really hope you do.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #33
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Here's a short version of the story:

Quote:
"My Hovercraft is Full of Eels, now what do you think of that particular title, Mrs. Featherbottom?"

Featherbottom, her face powdered white with concern, let out a small and not incosiderable grunt of displeasure.

"Mr. Dickens, I have been your confident and housekeeper nigh on fifteen years, and as yet I have never heard such an absurd notion. What, pray, is a Hovercraft and why would it be filled with eels?"

Dickens rubbed his beard thoughtfully.

"It came to me in a dream, Mrs. Featherbottom. The title as fully formed as any statue resting now within the gardens of this very estate. A young boy, orphaned and impoverished becomes entangled with a group of street urchins and a charismatic pickpocket thief who leads them all into adventure."

"And this...this odd title will remain?"

"Do you have any other suggestions?" Dickens said.

Mrs. Featherbottom smiled. "Of course I do, Mr.Dickens. Why not name the book after the young orphaned boy?"

A light clearer than any gas lantern bloomed in Dickens' eyes.

"Yes, yes, and a thousand times yes!" He cried, and with a freshly dipped pen, he began to scrawl out the new title upon a spare piece of parchment. "Done!" With a flourish, Mr.Dickens handed the paper over to his friend and trusted housekeeper.

She perused the scrawled words for a moment, her face at first confused and then gleeful.

"Mr.Dickens, I think this is the title you should stick with."

Dickens nodded, and then reached for another loose parchment upon the desk. "And what of this?" he said.

"The first title? The odd title?" Mrs. Featherbottom questioned.

"The very same."

"Place it in my hand, Mr.Dickens, and this very afteroon I shall feed this strangeness to the ducks along with the stale bread."
Old 04-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #34
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

brilliant !
Old 04-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #35
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Excellent!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #36
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Excellent!

And now I know the rest of the story in my head, so this one will get written whatever happens. I'm toying with the idea of writing them all and releasing them into the Public Domain. Any thoughts?
Old 04-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #37
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
And now I know the rest of the story in my head, so this one will get written whatever happens. I'm toying with the idea of writing them all and releasing them into the Public Domain. Any thoughts?
um, "yes please" ?
Old 04-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #38
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
um, "yes please" ?
um, "and concurrent with posting in the ebook upload section here, please" .
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #39
Moejoe
Banned

Okay, so there's 10 stories here so far, that's at least a weeks worth of writing. But if I do that I'll have to nix the idea of a single cover for each and every one (my photoshop skills aren't that good). But everyone will get a dedication (real name or pseudonym) and I think maybe I can make this short collection "Mobileread Only". I'd really like another 4 ideas (from those who haven't suggested so far), to bring the collection up to a more interesting length.

So, here's what I'll do. Whoever has suggested a story so far, will get it written and with a dedication. The collection will be released under PD but exclusively to Mobileread (whatever anyone does with it after that is their own affair). And I'll need another 4 suggestions before I start.

How does that sound?
Old 04-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #40
zelda_pinwheel

i like it.

i'm still thinking but i promise i'll come up with something !
Old 04-30-2009, 03:41 PM   #41
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
i like it.

i'm still thinking but i promise i'll come up with something !
Okay, you've got a guaranteed slot then Only 3 more slots open.. roll up! roll up! Come see the typewriter-faced boy! Only 3 tickets left!
Old 04-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #42
zelda_pinwheel

can i steal a title from Tom Waits ? if yes, here you go :

title : "Strange Weather"

a pair of glasses, a circus, and an accordeon.

(if not, i'll think of a different title. )
Old 04-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #43
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
can i steal a title from Tom Waits ? if yes, here you go :

title : "Strange Weather"

a pair of glasses, a circus, and an accordeon.

(if not, i'll think of a different title. )
That's fantastic! Now on the list! I might blog this as well, could be a lot of fun
Old 04-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #44
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Around the MUlberry Bush

A dog disguised as a Dalek, a sexy German Interpol Agent, and a flying car.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #45
Moejoe
Banned

Here's the list so far:

Magic in the Wind (Dreams)

That morning he ignored the ringing phone and instead watched the dawn light through the window.

Llounge Llamas in Love (Vivaldirules)

They came form the snow, an avalanche of men clad in gold and sequins, their legend tattoo stitched in rhinestones across their shoulders.

Llounge Llamas.

Afterglow (Ralph Sir Edward)

In the Kingdom of the Blind...
In the Kingdom of the Blind...

The thought rolled in Sebastian Newman’s head like a sneaker in a tumble dryer clattering against the steel drum.
There was no Kingdom for the blind, or the nearly blind. Only a prison cell that became smaller with each and every day. What was left now but the unseen sunsets, the lost dawns, the fading light of day.

The Insane Blue (Geoff C)

Chocolate to the left of them, chocolate to the right...and not a bite could be eaten.

The Moonlit Skye (LazyScot)

The sound of the dance was a distant and beautiful thunder that reached all the way to the lonely sands of the moon touched beach. From there, as electric quick as a thought, it reached and triggered a secret wish, a tremor in Carly Argyle's legs.

A tremor that would never become a full blown earthquake.

My Hovercraft is Full of Eels (Vivaldirules)

"My Hovercraft is Full of Eels, now what do you think of that particular title, Mrs. Featherbottom?"

Featherbottom, her face powdered white with concern, let out a small and not incosiderable grunt of displeasure.

"Mr. Dickens, I have been your confident and housekeeper nigh on fifteen years, and as yet I have never heard such an absurd notion. What, pray, is a Hovercraft and why would it be filled with eels?"

Gamelan and High Tea (Montsmags)

At first Carlos thought it was raining, but when in history had it rained flowers? And if such an incredible event had occurred, was it also accompanied by music?

He thought not.

Spider Dreams (Netseeker)

When he wasn't lying, Bill, for everyone called him by that name, liked to play cruel games.

Wisconsin Heat (pshyrnk)

The ice was too thick to crack. Four hours and Jimbo Donn had little more than a fist-sized hole dug out from the surface, not enough to pull out a fish, let alone slip a body into.

The Pouf (SteveJordan)

The Zephyr Model 74 automated mannequin had one serious flaw.

Strange Weather (Zelda Pinwheel)

Lydia couldn't help but think that the old poem might be true.

Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses.

Hidden Obviousness (YGG)

She had the look of a woman who regularly broke promises and smiled while doing so. Then why did he love her so?

(I'll update as I write the openings)

Last edited by Moejoe; 04-30-2009 at 06:10 PM.