Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #196
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
For me, it all started with the Dick and Jane "Think and Do" workbooks:

See Spot run.
See Puff jump.

From there, it quickly snowballed into Heidegger, and the rest is history...
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #197
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
My Mum was a huge reader, and I wanted to be able to as well. She started teaching me when I was 2, and by 4 I could read fairly well. Never looked back but I must confess I read far less since the advent of the personal computer (for me it was games on the C64 in 1984 that diverted me, and it went on from there). I used to read up to 4-5 a week (I had no life) but now, I'm finding its taking me a month to get through one, too many other distractions.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #198
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Dick, Jane and Spot (most kids now days don't even know who in the heck they were) 1953. I was 6? My Dad as well. I have not stopped since. Every free moment I have I read - books, magazines and newspapers. My favorite thing to read is anything in print. most kids now days can't even count to 10 till they are 10. Lmfaoff . But they know how to shoot a gun and kill innocent people What a shame. I think the 2nd amendment needs a amendment.. It was written over 200 yrs ago when we used muskets.

Last edited by MrDoug; 02-01-2013 at 10:43 PM.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #199
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Makes sense. They say you can really only properly enjoy Homer if you read his works in the original Greek.
It makes perfect sense to me, too.
I did take a Korean course a couple of years ago, unfortunately I haven't had the time to pursue Korean any further since then. I'd love to get back to it sometime.

I agree with the comment about Homer - I actually often find translations of classical authors to be very tedious, and greatly prefer to read texts in the original Greek or Latin.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #200
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I have a memory the first book I completed was Happiness Is... by Charles Schultz (Peanuts author). Since then my parents allowed me to buy books from the school buying program and I used to go to the library all the time. In college, I became obsessed with reading. There has never been a time in my life I don't remember being involved with a book.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #201
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
I remember words start to come together for me in 1st grade. I didn't have a tv growing up, so I began reading voraciously.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #202
WordCountess
WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I always loved writing, so I think I became a reader because it inspired my writing. It expanded my vocabulary, taught me sentence structure, allowed me to venture into other author's minds. I specifically love children's books (JK Rowling, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Beatrix Potter, etc). They are my inspiration for being a children's book writer- along with children, of course.
WordCountess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #203
Parody
Parody began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Transformer Infinity
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Never looked back but I must confess I read far less since the advent of the personal computer (for me it was games on the C64 in 1984 that diverted me, and it went on from there).
I used to check out books from the library to read while I waited for games to load on my Commodore 64! One time the librarian complained to my mother because I wanted to check out too many books at once, which was funny but I toned it down after that. (Back then I had plenty of time to ride my bike back to the library to get more books.)

ObTopic: I'm not quite sure what to say; not only have I been reading as long as I can remember, but according to my parents I was reading before what I can remember. The book that got me started was The Poky Little Puppy. A great book, but I've moved on since then.

I love to see other views on the world through the words people write; the internet has provided an overload of this!

I love to escape into the stories people write, though I may do this a bit too much.

I just like to read, I guess.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:55 AM   #204
Kokomo Lee
Keeps on Ticking...
Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles, iStuff, Nexus and a partridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
At the time, it was unusual for children to be able to read before kindergarten. In Kindergarten, we were given picture books with no words. The idea was to teach us the idea of telling stories on paper, we didn't learn reading until first grade. I was confused at this because I could read.
I had the exact same experience! I learned to read around 3, and have read voraciously ever since. I lived with my grandparents, and they gave me the freedom to read anything I wanted in the house that I could understand. I remember trying to read a book with the dictionary at my side .
Kokomo Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:46 AM   #205
ebooklovers
ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
I have to thank my sister for it. Back then in 4th grade, I wasnt much of a reader but my sister who was 2 years older than me already had a big collection of pocketbooks. One day she recommended a book for me and although I was hesistant.. I didnt have anything to do that day so I gave it a try. It took me about a week to finish that very short book but I liked it and since then, I became a bookworm
ebooklovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #206
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebooklovers View Post
I have to thank my sister for it. Back then in 4th grade, I wasnt much of a reader but my sister who was 2 years older than me already had a big collection of pocketbooks. One day she recommended a book for me and although I was hesistant.. I didnt have anything to do that day so I gave it a try. It took me about a week to finish that very short book but I liked it and since then, I became a bookworm
What book did she recommend, do you remember?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #207
mecorriveau
mecorriveau began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I've always read. My Dad says when I was a little girl he thought I could read but I had memorized the story he was reading to me every night. My own daughter did the same thing when she was little. We both love to read.
mecorriveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #208
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecorriveau View Post
I've always read. My Dad says when I was a little girl he thought I could read but I had memorized the story he was reading to me every night. My own daughter did the same thing when she was little. We both love to read.
I did that too. My mom once told me that when she would read me a story if she skipped a word of the text I'd let her know about it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:49 AM   #209
ebooklovers
ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
What book did she recommend, do you remember?
I kind of forgot the title but a quick search on Amazon did it.. It was a love story pocket book : What we Did last Summer by Elizabeth Craft. Love Stories pocket book were one of the favorite books back on my teen days! haha
ebooklovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #210
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I learnt to read when I was about 3. It was during WW2 and new books weren't much available, so I read whatever was available in my grandparents' house, where my mother and I were living while my father was away at war.

There were some old Children's Encyclopedias from 1907 and I happily ploughed through them for several years. The other books were for adults, mostly published in the 1920s and early 1930s. They weren't difficult to read, so I got stuck in.

School was hugely boring at first when I was surrounded by children just learning to read single words. I got the odd library book from a library van that travelled round the villages. And I read my mother's library books. I also read newspapers, although I can't say I understood the politics.

Fortunately, once the war was over we moved around a lot and I got access to more books and to some decent school libraries.

I suppose I'm lucky to be still around, given my adolescent habit of crossing roads with my eyes on a book.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote