Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Buying e-books outside US with VPN no longer possible?

I have been buying e-books from B&N using my Dutch credit card, Borderlinx US address and alwaysVPN for more than a year.

Yesterday I bought a gift card. That order was cancelled because gift cards could only be sold to US/Canada. Today I tried to buy some books, those orders were also cancelled.
It looks like B&N detects that I am buying from outside the US.
I have checked the VPN. My geo-location is still the US.
What extra check has B&N added:
- Are they not allowing some specific VPN providers like alwaysVPN?
- Are the checking the country of my credit card?
- Are they not allowing my Borderlinx US address?

I would like to know which extra check B&N has added to their system. So I would like to hear from other people if they are still able to buy e-books from B&N from outside the US using a non-US credit card and a VPN.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I purchased a book via alwaysVPN 2 days ago, without any problem. When I get home tonight I will give it a go and report back
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I could download 2 out of 6 books. I thought it was my credit card, but it's not. I never used to use a vpn, but I did just to see if I could download the books and it still didn't work...
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Well I just tried it using AlwayVPN and I purchased a book without any problems... I then downloaded, again without any problems
Old 12-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

3 of the books I couldn't download last night downloaded this morning. I still have one that won't work though. So far 5/6 downloaded. Maybe there is some kind glitch?
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
Care
Aes Sedai

I just got an email saying the last one could be downloaded. I guess there must have been something weird going on.

I would try again with yours. I had to put in another credit card (I used a throw away one and it was almost empty, but my books were free), so maybe you should check the balance on yours. It took over 24 hrs though for all of them to actually become available though.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have done some more testing.
I can download books that are in my library.
I can buy and download free books (and see a $1.09 amount from the B&N check on my online credit card statement).
I have not reached my credit card limit.
So it seems that my credit card is working fine.
But I am still not able to buy a book I have to pay for. When I try that the order gets cancelled immediately.
I have the feeling that when I buy a book I have to pay for they are verifying the billing address with the credit card company.
Perhaps ony with Visa at the moment?
I hope some more people from outside the US will reply, so that I can trace the problem.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
iandix
Addict

well ..I have tested it ..and it works for me. I'm using an Australian Visa card.

Why not test that your alwaysVPN account is working. turn it on and try this site http://whatismyipaddress.com/ ..
Old 12-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
well ..I have tested it ..and it works for me. I'm using an Australian Visa card.

Why not test that your alwaysVPN account is working. turn it on and try this site http://whatismyipaddress.com/ ..
I have already done that. My geo-location using alwaysVPN is Texas, US.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
geertm
Guru

This story has a happy ending.

According to my credit card company my credit card was okay.
The only thing I could think of was that for some reason B&N was verifying the billing address of my credit card.
As a workaround this week I have bought an USunlocked card. This is a virtual US Discover debit card, registered to an US billing address.
Today the card was loaded, so I replaced the Visa credit card in my B&N account with the new USunlocked card. Unfortunately the same problem.
I could download e-books. I could buy and download free e-books. But as soon as I try to pay for a book, the order is cancelled immediately.

Is my account somehow flagged as international? Or is something wrong with my account? I could only thing of one more solution.
I created another e-mail address, unregistered my Nook and Nook Color, changed the e-mail address to the new one, and registered my Nook Color again.
I then tried again to buy books. Now everything works. No problem paying.
I do not know what solved the problem. The unregistering/registering or the change of e-mail address, but at least everything is all right now.

Last edited by geertm; 12-31-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Glad everything finally worked out! Thanks for updating us.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote