Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2015, 09:11 AM   #1
christopher22
Zealot
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Aura & Touch
Question about firmware release notes & dictionary

In firmware 1.9.16 (before I updated) there was a list of firmware release notes. In the updated 3.11.0 (touch) the notes do not exist.

Is there a simple list somewhere where I can see the updates form version to version?

I have looked up a few words in the dictionary in 3.11.0 and haven't noticed any problems with it. I see all of the complaints that the dictionary sucks around firmware 2.5, so it must have been updated or upgraded to a better version since then.
christopher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
As far as I know, there isn't a comprehensive list.

In the Direct Links to Kobo Firmware thread, I've started adding a link to the post with the changed items list. I don't remember how far back I started to do this.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:09 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher22 View Post
In firmware 1.9.16 (before I updated) there was a list of firmware release notes. In the updated 3.11.0 (touch) the notes do not exist.

Is there a simple list somewhere where I can see the updates form version to version?

I have looked up a few words in the dictionary in 3.11.0 and haven't noticed any problems with it. I see all of the complaints that the dictionary sucks around firmware 2.5, so it must have been updated or upgraded to a better version since then.
Hmmm... having seen what Kobo generates as release notes, it's pretty much a waste of time trying to find them.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:24 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher22 View Post
Nope same dictionary as it always was. "Sucks" is a relative term. IMO if you're looking up more common words it's fine even if the actual definition is somewhat sparse. Some people seem to be looking up pretty heavy duty words that the average person wouldn't likely run across (based on HarryT's list for example). Of course, maybe my expectations for a dictionary are lower than some because I wasn't someone who would have looked up much before I had an e-reader with a pop-op option and now I mostly use it to confirm something means what I think or occasionally to look up a foreign word.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #5
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
I've been surprisingly impressed with the dictionary. I've been reading Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson and have been running into quite a few words I didn't know before. The dictionary on my Kobo has had most of these words which are old-ish and definitely not commonly used.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:21 PM   #6
christopher22
Zealot
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Aura & Touch
I thought it was quite good as well. I think unless you're an english aficionodo you'll definitely query words the dictionary won't contain.
christopher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #7
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
The extensive release notes for FW 3.11.0:

Reading settings
A new page turning option, optimized for one-handed reading.

Keyboard
Longpress on a letter to quickly access accented versions of that letter.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I haven't had a problem with finding words I look up on the Kobo--it almost always has a definition for everything I look up. But, where I notice a difference between the Kobo's dictionary and the Kindle's dictionary is the completeness of the definitions.

For example the definition for the word "skeptical"--

Kobo: relating to, characteristic of, or marked by skepticism

Kindle: 1. not easily convinced; having doubts or reservations.
2. relating to the theory that certain knowledge is impossible

If I don't know the definition of "skeptical", I probably wouldn't know the definition of "skepticism" making the Kobo's definition essentially useless. Granted I can look up the definition of "skepticism" from within the definition provided by the Kobo and get a good definition of "skepticism", but it adds a few more steps.

Last edited by dordale; 02-10-2015 at 04:27 PM.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
... and get a good definition of "skepticism", but it adds a few more steps.
... it adds one long key-press by my reckoning.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:14 PM   #10
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
... it adds one long key-press by my reckoning.
True...LOL--not too difficult
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote