Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
EE User
EE User began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Problem powering down

Help. I've had my full sized Entourage Edge for over a year. I bought it before Christmas 2010. It's running on the beta version of Ermine that Entourage offered shortly before Entourage shut down the website.

I use it practically every day, and I've never had any problems that I couldn't solve myself until this week. All of a sudden each and every time I power down, about 5 seconds later it restarts. I'm powering down correctly. I get the two separate warning messages on the LED screen that I have to press for it to either shut down or go to slient mode. I get the moving circle, and the trackball light goes dark. Then 5 seconds later it restarts.

If I hold down the power button before all four dots appear, it will shut off and stay off, but then it won't power back on. The only way to power up the Edge is to take out the battery and put it back in. Then it turns on fine and is fully functional until I'm ready to turn it off again.

For the time being I can still use it by taking out the battery and putting it back in, but realisticlly how long can I continue to do this? I don't know if the problem is hardware or software but I really need the help of someone who knows more than me!

EE User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
I can't help you with that but whatever you do, DO NOT install the Golden Ermine or the Golden Allmine builds... these are for the 7" PE and not the 10" EE and will brick your device.
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
From your description you appear to have the reverse of the hibernation some of us see on our EEs.

What happens if you hold the power button pressed until the track ball light goes out, does it restart? In fact that is the way I normally shut mine down.

Have you added any apps just before this restarting happened, if so uninstall them and see if that restores normal working.

Another thing, I must endorse what MasterTec says - DON'T even think about any other upgrade - we with the EE are stuck on the Ermine beta from Entourage, any of those others mentioned in this forum will brick the EE.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Have you installed any Apps recently? If so, try uninstalling the App and see if that makes a different.

Do you have an external SD Card installed? If so, try unmounting it (Settings --> Device Storage --> Unmount Storage), removing it, and turning the Edge off and see what happens.

Try powering down the Edge by holding the Power button and see what happens.

Try powering the Edge down by long pressing the ROTATE button on the LCD side until the pop-up menu appears and see if this makes any difference. Doubtful, but worth a try any way.

Last resort, again, absolute last resort is to try a Factory Data Reset or you may have to reload the OS. Hopefully, the solution will be simple and it won't come to this.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
EE User

From your description you appear to have the reverse of the hibernation some of us see on our EEs.

What happens if you hold the power button pressed until the track ball light goes out, does it restart? In fact that is the way I normally shut mine down.
Yes, it restarts.

Have you added any apps just before this restarting happened, if so uninstall them and see if that restores normal working.
I uninstalled the last four apps and it didn't make any difference.

Another thing, I must endorse what MasterTec says - DON'T even think about any other upgrade - we with the EE are stuck on the Ermine beta from Entourage, any of those others mentioned in this forum will brick the EE.
Advert
Old 01-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
EE User

Have you installed any Apps recently? If so, try uninstalling the App and see if that makes a different.
I tried that. It didn't make a difference.

Do you have an external SD Card installed? If so, try unmounting it (Settings --> Device Storage --> Unmount Storage), removing it, and turning the Edge off and see what happens.
I took it out before the problem started. Putting it back in didn't seem to make any difference.

Try powering down the Edge by holding the Power button and see what happens.
It still restarts immedeately

Try powering the Edge down by long pressing the ROTATE button on the LCD side until the pop-up menu appears and see if this makes any difference. Doubtful, but worth a try any way.
It still restarts immediately

Last resort, again, absolute last resort is to try a Factory Data Reset or you may have to reload the OS. Hopefully, the solution will be simple and it won't come to this.
I so don't want to have to do this
Old 01-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Can he/she reinstall the EE Ermine over the existing installation, rather than doing a factory reset or downgrade to Dingo then upgrade? If so, would that preserve his/her data? I seem to remember that all my "stuff" was intact after my original upgrade to Ermine.

More importantly, any idea if reupgrading might solve the problem?

Wishing you well, EE User!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Can he/she reinstall the EE Ermine over the existing installation, rather than doing a factory reset or downgrade to Dingo then upgrade? If so, would that preserve his/her data? I seem to remember that all my "stuff" was intact after my original upgrade to Ermine.

More importantly, any idea if reupgrading might solve the problem?

Wishing you well, EE User!

Installing the Ermine upgrade will preserve the user's data. However, EE User may not want the unintended consequences that may come from upgrade, namely the green camera, browser crashing, and hibernation problems. I personally don't have a hibernation problem with my EE (guess I'm one of the lucky ones) however, there is a workaround posted on the forum that seems to work (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141537). I understand that turning off Java on the stock browser may help the default browser crashing issue. I don't know because I primarily use Opera Mini which hasn't crashed once on my EE. Of course, there is no known fix for the green camera.

It may be possible to download and re-apply the Dingo 1.6 upgrade which should preserve user data as well. I would try that first especially if I was content with 1.6 in the first place.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
EE User

I've been using Ermine since it was first released by Entourage. I got used to the browser crashing and just gave up on the camera. I don't keep much data on my Edge. Everything in the library can be copied to my SD Card so that's not an issue. I can't seem to copy any of my apps to the SD Card which kind of sucks, but most of them were purchased on Amazon so they are probably stored somewhere "in the cloud."
My fear about formatting is that I may have to reregister the Edge. But since the Entourage website is down, I worry that I won't be able to do that? Any suggestions? I'd hate end up with a useless machine. At least right now I can take the battery out at night.
By the way, it's been so long that I can't remember: What were the benefits of Ermine over Dingo? All I remember is that the camera doesn't work anymore.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #10
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
lol! Ermine is faster (I think) and has Android 2.2 (Froyo) which gives us more possible apps. Also, the User Interface got a bit nicer, IMHO.

Disabling javascript in the browser keeps it from crashing 98% of the time.

You don't have to reregister with enTourage. The only thing you might have to do is register with Adobe for the DRM, which you can do through Adobe Digital Editions on your computer (connect the USB cable). I believe the instructions are in Obsessed's New User thread (sticky).

I think (haven't tried it) that you can copy apps to your SD card by doing an app backup, then copying the .apk files from the Backup folder onto your SD card using ES File Explorer. Not sure if they will run from there, though. I kinda think they won't.

Good luck!

If you decide to try anything, I suggest you read first, proceed when you're fairly confident, and stop to ask questions if something seems wrong.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
EE User

I stopped using my Edge for about a month. It just got to be too much of a pain having to remove the battery every time I wanted to turn the thing off. It took away from the fun and made me reconsider going back to a pad of paper. The other day I really needed to use it for something so I inserted the battery and used it. When I went to power down, presto, it shut down. I tried it a dozen more times and every time it shut down. I didn't uninstall any apps or do anything to change the operating system. I don't know why it works now but I'm certainly not complaining. I'll probably be back to using it every day before too long.