Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
panda53
Connoisseur
panda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch and shared Kindle
Cool-er has developed dementia!

Well, my Cool-er is nearly 2 years old... and has just started having quirky problems.

It no longer remembers the last page read in any books.

It can no longer open the My Docs folder, but is still able to read the DRM'd books.

I've reloaded the latest software update, but that hasn't fixed things.

Is anyone else having problems with their Cool-ers? Do you think it's just wearing out after 2 years of heavy e-book reading?

Any suggestions? I still feel it was a great product, and it's so much lighter than the iPad - but the iPad reading experience is so much better.

regards,
Pamela
panda53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
Qxr
Enthusiast
Qxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it is

Device: lbook V3, iRex DR800SG
I would check the Cool-er disc for errors with the standard Microsoft Windows tools:
- connect the reader to PC via USB,
- open My Computer,
- right-click the Cool-er disk,
- select Properties,
- select Tools,
- press Check Now,
- select "Automatically fix file system errors"
- press Start and wait till the check is done.

If no problems found, I'd try installing firmware of similar devices (e.g., ShineBook - see several links in the "росketbook 301 firmware" thread) to find out if yours are firmware-related problems. It is possible to restore Cool-er firmware afterwards, if you want.

If you decide to try Pocketbook's FW, please remember that there is no way back to Cool-er's.

Good luck!
Qxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
panda53
Connoisseur
panda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch and shared Kindle
Thanks - I hadn't checked the cool-er disc... good idea.

I did try a different version of the firmware (I have the last two versions archived), but it didn't work. So then, I used the latest software update again, and although it didn't flash in the way the instructions advise, I carried on... and the update seems to have worked. My cool-er is back in working order for the moment.

Interestingly, I did look around at all the other ebook readers available now... and the only one that seems a good alternative is the kobo. But I also use my iPad as an ebook reader, and it's brilliant - just a bit heavy, and too large to carry in a handbag.

Thanks for replying.

Pamela
panda53 is offline   Reply With Quote