Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #31
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodlover View Post
That's one of the problems: the pace is really slow until the war starts but that happens only after you read almost half the book.

I understand that the characters are meant to be shallow and narrow-minded but this seems out of place since they are intellectuals and should have by default a better view and understanding of things.

Don't worry Mr Cat almost nobody likes books given for summer reading. I suspect that it happens to everyone.
The war starts the day after the opening scene. It really doesn't take half the book to get there.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #32
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I got turned on to this book from another of my favorite authors, Pat Conroy. He has a book, My Reading Life, where he talks about reading GWTW once a year, every year. I learned to appreciate it from his love of the book.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #33
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I have that Pat Conroy book -- enjoyed many of his novels - The Great Santini, etc. but have not gotten around to reading it yet, move up a few notches on the ol' TBR list. Thanks!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #34
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
They cut a lot out of the story as I understand it in order for it to be short enough to watch. One minute of screen time = one page of script and if they had included everything from the book (I haven't read it yet either) in the movie the movie would be a miniseries at the least. And probably too expensive for the studio to have made as well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote