Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #16
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post
Maybe you should make the decision based mostly on which ebook format you already have. I had to convert my .epub to .mobi and I'm still not finished.
With calibre's bulk convert feature, I don't think this should be a consideration.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #17
rolexconfuse
Connoisseur
rolexconfuse began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
After staring at both for extended periods of time I notice a few things. (For those who own the 2 correct me if I'm imagining these differences).

- The screen on the Sony 650 looks more white than the Kindle 3

- Something weird on the Sony 650, For some of the page turns I can see text from either the previous page or the next page. It's very feint, very light but if you hold it at a certain angle you can see it. It's like faded white lettering. It doesn't happen all the time but it happened a few times when I was going through a PDF file

- The page change seems to be better on the Kindle than the Sony. There's something strange about the page turning on the Sony. It's quick but it feels like text isn't refreshing as fast even though the page is turning faster (not sure i that makes any sense).

- Default fonts that Kindle uses for pdfs look nicer than the fonts on the Sony. (Not sure why)

- PDF reflow is nice on the Sony but the reflow doesn't completely work right. I have a pdf that I tried and I have sentences that get split into 2 lines when there's enough space to continue on the same line. Could be due to the PDF not having correct tags?

- Margin cut option on the Sony doesn't seem to make much of a difference when viewing PDF's. The space I get doesn't seem to make the letters that much bigger. And the letters doesn't seem as sharp as the kindle without the margin cut.

- I really like the fact that you can skim through PDF's with the Sony. But it isn't that fast and you have to hold on to the button

And I hear that B&N is having an announcement next week. wonder if they are going to announce a new NOOK
rolexconfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 04:25 AM   #18
bainsy
bainsy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
OK if it helps you im going to go for the Kindle 3 this time on the fact that I own a prs-505 so im happy to keep that and the kindle wifi only is pretty much half price of the prs-650

I think for £200 Sony should have put a case and wifi with the 650 then maybe id have gone with that but ill get the kindle next month and wait an see what happens with the 4th gen

anyway good luck I know how it feels to be on the fence about which way to go (drives you nuts lol)
bainsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:26 AM   #19
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I would suggest you wait... More ereaders are coming on the market constantly... and they all have new features... So... wait until the end of time...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #20
rolexconfuse
Connoisseur

that does not help me
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #21
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
Actually, its basically only $30 difference because of that book cover promotion now.

Sony with light cover = $229
Kindle without cover = $139
Kindle with light cover = $199

Pick one and don't regret. Or better still, get both.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #22
bainsy
bainsy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofubean View Post
Actually, its basically only $30 difference because of that book cover promotion now.

Sony with light cover = $229
Kindle without cover = $139
Kindle with light cover = $199

Pick one and don't regret. Or better still, get both.
Im in the UK so no offers for us

PRS-650 = £199
K3 wifi = £109
K3 3G = £149
bainsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #23
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I guess I have been misinformed about the Kindle and Sony. Trouble is that both Amazon and Sony DRM their products so that only their readers will read their products and since I do not have either a Kindle or a Sony I can not buy from either. I am currently (see my other thread on the subject) attempting to develop a range of non-DRM stores that I can buy from so that I can ensure that I can get ebooks for my reader.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #24
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I guess I have been misinformed about the Kindle and Sony. Trouble is that both Amazon and Sony DRM their products so that only their readers will read their products and since I do not have either a Kindle or a Sony I can not buy from either. I am currently (see my other thread on the subject) attempting to develop a range of non-DRM stores that I can buy from so that I can ensure that I can get ebooks for my reader.
You can buy anywhere you want if you're willing to liberate your ebooks.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #25
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexconfuse View Post
- Default fonts that Kindle uses for pdfs look nicer than the fonts on the Sony. (Not sure why)
I personally disagree about the font being better on the Kindle. The strange "uniform thickness" font they use really strains my eyes.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:22 AM   #26
Superlucky
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I personally disagree about the font being better on the Kindle. The strange "uniform thickness" font they use really strains my eyes.
I totally agree. It looks like Comic Sans.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:25 AM   #27
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post

That's true for Kindle, not for Sony. Sony uses the ADE ePub DRM, which is compatible with many readers. You can also buy ADE ePub from many sources - just about any ebook seller except Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

You can buy books for your Sony from Kobo, Books on Board, Fictionwise, WH Smith, Waterstones, etc.

You can also check out ebooks from many public libraries.

Books you buy from the Sony store are compatible with almost any reader except the Kindle.

I see you have an Aluratek. If Aluratek does not support ADE ePub, that is not the fault of Sony.

Last edited by khalleron; 10-24-2010 at 03:27 AM.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:24 AM   #28
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post
had to convert my .epub to .mobi and I'm still not finished.
A little OT maybe. Doesn't Calibre have a batch conversion feature for converting from epub to mobi?

Sorry, just seen that Superlucky was superquick and got there before me!

Last edited by James_Wilde; 10-24-2010 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Hadn't read whole thread before replying. :(
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #29
rolexconfuse
Connoisseur

I returned the sony and settled for the Kindle. After comparing them side by side, here are my reassons:

1.) page scanning works really well on the sony only if you are not using the zoom function. If you zoomed into any portion of the page and then scan, the page refresh slows down and the page flashes constantly.

2.) THe new zoom feature is nice, however one big thing is that if i ever go to another book or change another setting (even in the same pdf) my zoom lock is gone. And that kinda sucks as I would need to zoom back in and reposition it again.

3.) I loaded 2 identical PDF files into the kindle and Sony 650. And what is really weird is that on the kindle the pdf is actually bigger than on the Sony.
Even with the "margin cut" feature used on the sony it didn't match the same display output as as the Kindle (kindle was set to default size) it seemed like the sony was showing more white space on the pdf file and the kindle was not. I tried anothe PDF file and it was the same result. The only thing that the sony can do is reflow the pdf which while nice didn't do much for me since both pdfs were untagged.

4.) having both side by side i did a speed test and to me the kindle was a tab faster in refresh. It's not a huge difference but I guess the kindle was more "instant" while the sony was less so

5.) screen to me much whiter than the Kindle. The kindle looked more grey.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #30
spkmn
spkmn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
If you're going to maintain a library on your computer and manipulate your ebooks, then I think the Sony is the way to go.
Can you add some more details about this portion of your answer?

tia, James
spkmn is offline   Reply With Quote