Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2007, 12:14 AM   #1
baker101
baker101 began at the beginning.

hi just got my reader, now i have question

it is normal to see a little left over from the previous screen? like a slightly noticiable faded view of the last page viewed?

also, now that i am ready to load up the reader, i guess ill try the threads for webpages to reader for what software to use and what program to use to create my own ereader books.

wow, this thing is awesome!
baker101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:38 AM   #2
scottcstoness
Enthusiast
scottcstoness began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by baker101
it is normal to see a little left over from the previous screen? like a slightly noticiable faded view of the last page viewed?
Yeah, there is a bit of a "ghosting" effect; if you use that term to search the forums, you'll find more info, but basically you get ghosting especially badly for the first couple screens after you turn it on or when the unit is cold (e.g. near the 5C operational limit).

Quote:
also, now that i am ready to load up the reader, i guess ill try the threads for webpages to reader for what software to use and what program to use to create my own ereader books.

wow, this thing is awesome!
Lots of links around here, especially in the READER CONTENT subforum. At the moment, anything you can put in RTF, justify and set the font at a reasonable size (I use 14pt, the consensus seems to be about 18pt), the reader does an excellent job with RTF files if you are only concerned with text and don't need hyperlinks.
scottcstoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2007, 04:32 AM   #3
JimCuk
Enthusiast
JimCuk began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-500
Also for PDF files search for PDFrasterFarian Its developing along nicely.
JimCuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
NormB
Definately Senior
NormB began at the beginning.

Device: eBookman,Dell Axim,PRS-500
Ghosting in Landscape

My reader shows a reduced level display of a few lines of the text at the bottom of the page in landscape mode like there was a end of page code but since there is space left over it shows the next few lines of the text in light grey. When I hit the page turn button this text will show at the top of the new page. After learning to not read into the greyed area before hitting the turn page button I can continue reading the next page from the top. If I read into the greyed area then I have to skip down down on the next page to avoid reading those lines a second time. It does not bother me once I learned how to work around it, but I have not seen this particular problem noted on any other posting. Does anyone else have this problem? I don't have this problem in portrait mode.
NormB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
magogo
magogo began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormB
My reader shows a reduced level display of a few lines of the text at the bottom of the page in landscape mode like there was a end of page code but since there is space left over it shows the next few lines of the text in light grey. When I hit the page turn button this text will show at the top of the new page. After learning to not read into the greyed area before hitting the turn page button I can continue reading the next page from the top. If I read into the greyed area then I have to skip down down on the next page to avoid reading those lines a second time. It does not bother me once I learned how to work around it, but I have not seen this particular problem noted on any other posting. Does anyone else have this problem? I don't have this problem in portrait mode.
i've got the same situation too. But i think it is normal before from that you can see what's already shown in the upper part.
magogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yeah, it's a 'feature.' I think the idea was to give a sense of continuity between the two halves of the displayed page. See in Landscape mode, each screenful is only half a 'page' so the grayed out lines are kind of a cue as to whether you're on the top or bottom half.

After working with it some in the real world, I tend to agree with you two that I'd rather it just doubled the number of 'pages' and dropped the grayed out lines thing.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #7
baker101

hi thanks for the responses.

next question, is there a prefered os to run these tools on? mac/win xp sp2/linux?
Old 01-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Almost all of them will run in WinXP. We are putting up a new Wiki page or two on this area this weekend. Hopefully if will gather all of the tools together in one place and be an easier method for selecting the proper tools for each person. Comments, suggestions, and corrections are always welcome.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
baker101

hi everyone thanks for the info.

for some reason ToobarForLIBRIeInst wont install on my machine.

for html, i am going to try HTML2LRF
and for PDF, i am going to try PDFrasterFarian

now what program is recommeded for creating your own LRF? basically id really like to have a table of contents and be able to click the number to take me where id like to be in a 'recipe' book..thanks