Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
firmware for kobo in states

I've ordered the device and have it scheduled for 2nd July
from Borders in states. Anybody has an insight of the firm-
ware version for that reader? I assume it would run updated
one. (At least, it is my hope.)
Also, I will use it not connected to computer, since I have
no win nor mac. As it behaves just like flash card, gonna
put directories from bsd node to sd card and let device to
make a db. Some obstacles to that way of usage?
Best regards!
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
Ivo
Ivo began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Hi Zoran,
Don't know what version will be shipped in US, there is a good chance it will be an updated one as Kobo plans to release an upgrade next week (link here).

As for copying books on an SD card directly, it works, I've tried it under linux (added some epub files onto a blank SD card, inserted the card into Kobo device). I didn't try to mount Kobo device itself (in case you don't have an extra SD card), but I believe it will work as the device is mounted under MS Windows just as any other USB storage device.
Ivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Negative.
I distinctly remember SammerH (Our resident Kobo employee) mentioning that the US units were shipped and packaged before the firmware update was finalized. He did mention the update will be available in all markets, so you should be able to get home and upgrade right away

EDIT:
Here is the thread that mentions this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...928#post966928

I was wrong about who said this. It wasn't SameerH, but the Kobo Vice President Michael Tamblyn.

Last edited by Stinger; 06-22-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
Ivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Negative.

[snip]

EDIT:
Here is the thread that mentions this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...928#post966928

I was wrong about who said this. It wasn't SameerH, but the Kobo Vice President Michael Tamblyn.
Then I guess Zoran will have to visit a friend with a windows machine to upgrade his Kobo. Or maybe install windows as a VM ...
Old 06-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo View Post
Then I guess Zoran will have to visit a friend with a windows machine to upgrade his Kobo. Or maybe install windows as a VM ...
Naw. SameerH mentioned you can do the upgrade through a SD card as a fallback to the USB based method.

He should be able to copy w/e files to the SD card for that regardless of OS.

Quote:
As it behaves just like flash card, gonna
put directories from bsd node to sd card and let device to
make a db. Some obstacles to that way of usage?
Best regards!
Won't be a problem. But the Kobo internal storage also acts like a USB flash card when you plug it in. So you should be able to bypass the SD card and just drag'n'drop files to the Kobo from the BSD box.

Also; it's been a while since I've played with BSD, but there is a linux version of the official desktop app, which should work under BSD with the appropriate compatibility libs.
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
Ivo

Eh, I recently joined this forum, so I am not up to the speed

Out of ignorance I assumed that the actual upgrade file(s) would not be available to users, and instead it/they would be silently pushed through the kobo desktop app and the upgrade would be triggered by some command from the desktop app. Obviously, Kobo engineers came up with a better procedure.

Otherwise, I agree that the internal Kobo memory behaves just like any USB storage, so if he can get the actual upgrade image it will be trivial both to do the upgrade, and to add new books.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
Stinger
Asha'man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo View Post
Eh, I recently joined this forum, so I am not up to the speed

Out of ignorance I assumed that the actual upgrade file(s) would not be available to users, and instead it/they would be silently pushed through the kobo desktop app and the upgrade would be triggered by some command from the desktop app. Obviously, Kobo engineers came up with a better procedure.
No No. You're absolutely right about this
They mentioned earlier that the update WOULD be pushed through the desktop app. SameerH just mentioned the SD card method would be a fallback option for those that had trouble (or ran unsupported OS's?) with the primary method (post HERE).

Anyway, Welcome to MobileRead
Old 06-23-2010, 12:33 AM   #8
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

> Then I guess Zoran will have to visit a friend with a windows machine to
upgrade his Kobo. Or maybe install windows as a VM ..

I'd rather die.

> Also; it's been a while since I've played with BSD, but there is a linux
version of the official desktop app, which should work under BSD with
the appropriate compatibility libs.

There is an option to run 32 bit linux libraries as emulation and put
something over. Works fine on freebsd, but I discarded it from the very
beginning. Matter if choice.

Seriously, if possible, I'd take an approach via sd card. For that, two
prerequisites should be fulfilled:
1) firmware publicly available on the net
2) detailed manual on the subject as a part of update process
So, if it takes to make another file system on the sd card, it should be
mentioned. If original fat<whatever>, mentioned also.
Thank you all for replay. Best regards.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote