Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2008, 11:38 PM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Sony Reader available in Europe

There are the ad of Sony reader on http://www.lemonde.fr/ website.

Sony Reader is available in Europe for 299 Euros now:
http://www.fnac.com/Magazine/divers/...n=LEMONDE_HOME

Last edited by Kris777; 10-26-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Excellent news!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post

Kris777, you can get the Sony Reader for €249 at Waterstones in Ireland.
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The French manual is available from Sony Europe support site.
http://support.sony-europe.com/dna/p...=DNA&m=PRS-505
Interestingly, all menus mentioned are in English. I wonder if the actual device is sold with English interface.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
The French manual is available from Sony Europe support site.
http://support.sony-europe.com/dna/p...=DNA&m=PRS-505
Interestingly, all menus mentioned are in English. I wonder if the actual device is sold with English interface.
Wonder why?

I thought Sony already had the manuals and stuff in French from their Canadian launch.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I wonder if the actual device is sold with English interface.
One can easily flash the Reader with PRSCustomizer, and that supports a wide variety of interface localizations. The important thing is that the Reader is now officially in mainland Europe.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
Fouyou
Fouyou began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
as French early buyer, I'm very pleased wit my new 505. I was pleasantly surprised by the SDHC support . I'm sure I read somewhere the 505 was not able to read SDHC, as stated in the US manual. Mine does fully support it, as stated in the provied french manual...
Fouyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fouyou, are the Reader menus in English or French? Did you get a separate version of eBook Library? If yes, where does the eBook Store link lead?
Old 10-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post

does it mean that i finally can use my sony (bought in usa) in europe?
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:32 PM   #10
Fouyou
Fouyou began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Fouyou, are the Reader menus in English or French? Did you get a separate version of eBook Library? If yes, where does the eBook Store link lead?
The reader's interface is full in French. It was sold with a dedicated version of eBook library wich directs to the French exclusive (for about 6 months) partner for Sony's launch : FNAC online shop.
Fouyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:42 PM   #11
igorsk
Wizard

Very interesting. Thanks for reporting!
Old 10-27-2008, 06:22 PM   #12
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia View Post
does it mean that i finally can use my sony (bought in usa) in europe?
I've used my Sony in Europe since I bought it in May 2007.

Perhaps you are asking whether you can access the Sony ebook store?
You can, but either need a US credit card, or for someone to buy you Sony gift certificates. And you need to claim to live in the USA.

But, after the UK launch, it is also possible to buy ebooks from Waterstones online, generally in Epub format.
http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...o?pPageID=1576

Also see this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30958
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:24 AM   #13
julia
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I've used my Sony in Europe since I bought it in May 2007.

Perhaps you are asking whether you can access the Sony ebook store?
You can, but either need a US credit card, or for someone to buy you Sony gift certificates. And you need to claim to live in the USA.

But, after the UK launch, it is also possible to buy ebooks from Waterstones online, generally in Epub format.
http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...o?pPageID=1576

Also see this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30958
hi patricia, yes you are right. i have been using it since i bought it. but never succeeded in installing sony software. even after downloading it from the sony site. since i have other ebook readers i read the drm-mobi books on either cybook or iliad. but i do like my sony reader the best, i guess.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:19 AM   #14
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia View Post
hi patricia, yes you are right. i have been using it since i bought it. but never succeeded in installing sony software. even after downloading it from the sony site. since i have other ebook readers i read the drm-mobi books on either cybook or iliad. but i do like my sony reader the best, i guess.
That must be very annoying, Julia. I've had no trouble installing the Sony software on my Windows XP machine.
Tell us what you computer is running. There are ways to get the Sony software onto Vista machines etc.

On the other hand, you could bypass the Sony software and use Calibre for everything except buying Sony books. But if you bought Lit format from a reputable seller then Calibre will make short work of converting it to the Sony LRF format.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #15
julia
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
That must be very annoying, Julia. I've had no trouble installing the Sony software on my Windows XP machine.
Tell us what you computer is running. There are ways to get the Sony software onto Vista machines etc.

On the other hand, you could bypass the Sony software and use Calibre for everything except buying Sony books. But if you bought Lit format from a reputable seller then Calibre will make short work of converting it to the Sony LRF format.
it has been annoying. i even have a sony vaio with windows xp! have asked sony for support. but they told me they couldn't 'cause i bought the reader in the states. well there wasn't one for sale in europe at that time
and yes i have used calibre to convert some of my lit-books.
but i buy a lot of new literature as well and most of them are drm-mobipocket books. i don't mind the drm-stuff (i know about the discussions on this forum on this issue) but i want to read them any way and travel around the world on a regular base. have to use the cybook or the iliad for that matter. wish that sony would support mobi-format. but i'm afraid that's still a world away.