Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Dullahir
Zealot
Dullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Android
A new annoyance.

Hey again:

Okay, so basically, I'm still trying to figure out how to use Calibre properly. I'm on the right track, but something seems to be up:

I save a .mobi file as the following 'Kim Harrison [The Hollows Book 01] Dead Witch Walking.mobi' And this is the title it uses to convert. However:

I open the book with mobipocket PC and it is displayed as the following:

Dead Witch Walking - Kim Harrison

I check to make sure that the file in the ebook folder that Mobipocket opens is set correctly to the first title. It is. As is the mpd and Cover files. Is there something I'm missing here? This is beyond tedious since I can't even arrange the books by series number.

Also: When I manually input the title in the 'Properties' section of mobipocket reader, It isn't in proper order. It's listed as:

[The Hollows Book 01]
[The Hollows Book 03]
[The Hollows Book 02]

Does anyone know what the issue may be?

Edit: One way I've found to compensate for this is to rename the file in Calibre before saving it to the following:

[The Hollows Book 01] Dead Witch Walking as the Title, and removing the Series and Number fields.

Is there an easier way to do this?

Last edited by Dullahir; 01-30-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Dullahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
I cannot recall if this applies to the MOBI format, but in some cases information for an ereader is based on the metadata that is inside the file. Also, not all ereaders make use of the information in the Series and Series_Index fields.

I've got no idea about the order. Well, ok, a completely wild guess that I doubt is likely: it's being sorted alphabetically by the textual name of the numbers: zero one, zero three, zero two.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
The mobi format has no support for series data. That is one reason to prefer ePub.

The normal way to handle this is to configure a plugboard to add the series information to the title metadata when saving to disk or sending to device.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118563

And I say again: Use the fields in Calibre for their intended purposes. If that doesn't work for you, then you are doing something wrong.

Last edited by Adoby; 01-30-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Dullahir
Zealot
Dullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Hmmmm... Thanks for the suggestion, Professor Peanut M&M!! I'll look into it.

And thanks to you as well, Adoby, I'm still learning about plugboards. And I convert it to .mobi because some of the epub covers don't format properly, words on top of the covers. :/

Thanks again for your suggestions!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
Dullahir
Zealot

Okay, a bit of a stupid question here:

To use a plugboard, I must have a device attached, right? All of the tutorials blab about a Kindle or something. I have a Kindle, but it's currently in possession by my brother because she's overseas at the moment. How would I use the plugboards without the kindle? I checked 'Save_to_disk' as the Device or whatever, but it didn't work.
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullahir View Post
How would I use the plugboards without the kindle? I checked 'Save_to_disk' as the Device or whatever, but it didn't work.
Use the Connect to folder feature. This will connect to any folder on your computer and treat it as if it were a device. This will allow you to use Send to device to place the books in the folder and the ability to use plugboards.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
Dullahir
Zealot

Thanks Doc. I've actually already figured out what the problem was. I didn't have the sequence activated.. ~Blushes~

After some tweaking, I've found something that works when I 'Save to Device':

To get a book that has the title 'Kim Harrison [The Hollows Book 01] Dead Witch Walking

I used

{author} [{series}{series_index:0>2s| |}] {title}

Before I figured out what the problem was, I was stuck on:

Kim Harrison [The Hollows Book 01 ] Dead Witch Walking

This was because I made a slight error in the template:

{author} [{series}{series_index:0>2s| |} ] {title}

After changing it to

{author} [{series}{series_index:0>2s| |}] {title}

It worked! Thank you all so very much for assisting! My love for Calibre grows by the day, and I've used this program for years.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

LOL, you're welcome. As for the growth through usage, we've all been there and we're all still enroute. Even the gurus learn stuff in here on a frequent basis.

Last edited by Sabardeyn; 01-30-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
Dullahir
Zealot

Alright. Same issue with epub files after changing the series data in a plugboard.

I have included a screenshot of my Adobe Digital Edition program so hopefully, that may give us some clues as to what may be going on? When I Sort by Title, it goes in the proper sequence.

This screenshot is what happens when I Sort by Author. Same issue as the mobi books.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ps68377332.png

I have no included the actual image because it stretches the forum window, and I am sure that would inconvenience a lot of people.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:08 AM   #10
Dullahir
Zealot

Okay, I have a sneaking suspicion I know what may be going on.

Could it be that the reason why the numbers are out of sync was because that is the way they were loaded into Calibre? For example, in the main calibre window, if a book was loaded in this order

1 - Book 5
2 - Book 3
3 - Book 1

Would the 'Sort by Author' order then become

[The Hollows Book 5]
[The Hollows Book 3]
[The Hollows Book 1]
Old 01-31-2013, 12:15 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I don't think there is any guarentee that ADE biases (retains) the previous sort order like Calibre does.
You sort on author, you get books clumped by author.
Personally, I don't Read books on my PC (let alone with ADE).
My device only use the file system, wher I have folders for Series and sort on filename

h_Series/Hollows(Rachael Morgan)/11-Ever After-Kim Harrison

So don't get Tinks panties in a bunch
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:22 AM   #12
Dullahir
Zealot

Lol. I see, I see. Hmm.. So there really isn't any solution then, if they are just clumped together?

Temporary fix I've found was to create additional bookshelves in Adobe Editions and just name them to the author's name. THEN I can sort by title, since I tend to name books by series THEN title so the books wouldn't show up in order by author.

[The Hollows]
[Women of the Otherword]
[B.A.D.] (By Sherrilyn Kenyon)
[Night Huntress]
[Dark-Hunter] (By Sherrilyn Kenyon)

Wish there were a way to sort by two fields, series AND author, lol.

Last edited by Dullahir; 01-31-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:38 AM   #13
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
If you use some program and sort books on author, and only on author, groups of books with the same author may then come in any order. Perhaps seemingly random or influenced by a previous sort on some other field. This differs between different programs, and depends mainly on how the sort algorithm was implemented.

In some programs, like Calibre, sorting is stable. That means that you can first sort all books on title, and then on author. You will then find that the books for each author are sorted by title.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:47 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullahir View Post
I have no included the actual image because it stretches the forum window, and I am sure that would inconvenience a lot of people.
Personally I appreciate your courtesy. FYI, you can attach images to your post, Go Advanced then click the paperclip icon.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
Sabardeyn
Guru

The only other thing that I can think of that might be affecting the sort order is a book ID. Calibre does have them associated with each book, but they're hidden. You can find them in the Book Viewer (the window with book info, not the thing on the right of the book list). Perhaps somehow your ereader is using that field as the primary sort order? But this seems like an unlikely situation inside calibre.

Oh, the viewer I'm talking about is on the context menu after right-clicking on a book in the book list, about halfway down.

(In case you don't see the ID's in the Viewer, you might need to turn on the fields in Preferences.)