Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #46
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
My ereader is a Kindle 3 if I just read text. I have a Kobo which I couldn't resist for $50 a year ago but I don't use it and if a family member would ask me I would just give it to them. I have a KFire which I use some of the time but I mostly use my iPad Gen3. It's best for all my magazines and comics. It's funny but at home I tend to read on my iMac, go figure. I will not get another stand alone ereader, the K3 is great for what it does but I have to control myself from getting another tablet. I want to try an Andriod out. I came very close getting an Asus T Prime and again the new windows machine but since they were sold out when I was looking they lost out on my purchase when I was weak.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #47
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I am one of those one book at a time readers. So I am rather curious if those who read on multiple devices read the same book and just pick up where they are on a new device or read different books at the same time on different devices.

applesauce
I read different books on each device.

Right now I'm between books, having finished all three of my current books over the weekend. While I don't normally manage my book reading to benefit my Reading Challenge, I've decided to read just one book for the next couple of days, just in case I end up finishing it. (Also because I'm not ready to start the next books I've lined up. I should feel differently in a couple of days. )
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #48
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I have a Sony T1, a Kindle Fire, and a Nook Color. I find that I use the T1 for most of my reading because it is the lighter of the 3 and I usually take that with me. Next is the Nook Color only because it was my first reader. I'll probably start using the Fire more because I carry that with me more.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #49
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
For those of us who have multiple readers of different brands, when do you chose to read on one brand of reader and when do you read on the other brand? Why have you chosen to buy multiple readers of different brands? This is for people with different brands of readers such as one kindle and one nook or one kobo and one ipad.
Choice of current reading device tends to be based on 1) how much battery is left on the device, 2) if the device contains the book I want to read/am currently reading and 3) depending on #2, how easy it is to get books onto the device. While I do prefer reading on the PRS-350, I use my iPod Touch or iPhone more often because of the convenience factor. I can easily download an ebook to the iDevices over wifi. With the PRS-350, I'd need to connect it to the PC via USB and sync to Calibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I am one of those one book at a time readers. So I am rather curious if those who read on multiple devices read the same book and just pick up where they are on a new device or read different books at the same time on different devices.
Same book. I generally just switch when I need to charge the device I'm currently using.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #50
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
I don't regard it as a different device, but I do read on both my Kindles and my iPhone or iPad. The iPad 3 is not too bad with regard to the eye strain associated with using a screen rather than ePaper, but I prefer my Kindles. I use the DX around my home or office, and the Touch when away from them. The Touch will fit into the inside pocket of a suit jacket or a windcheater and is easy to carry. I have a Sony, and an iRiver, but they are gathering dust in a desk drawer. I much prefer Kindles. I am about to pick up another Kindle (this afternoon) purely to solve the problem of loaning eBooks. I can lend it to my daughters and avoid the problem of copying/lending book files. They have a special on with the Keyboard Kindle at au$99.00 which is very inexpensive for Australia.

If anyone sold the Nook Glow here I would probably buy one, but unless I can actually try it first, I won't risk buying it online. Maybe Amazon will release a Touch Glow soon.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 02:22 AM   #51
LiseRayes
Enthusiast
LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: B&N Nook, Asus MemoPad,
I have a first generation nook, an android tablet and a samsung galaxy. I read mainly on the tablet because of the convenience factor: I can download any ebook directly whereas I had to connect my nook to the PC and manually sidelaod my ebooks. I try to buy and read only epubs and occasional PDFs. I use my samsung galaxy when in transit or when I only have a few minutes to spare!
I really miss the eInk technology of the Nook but the speed, the touch interface and the magnitutde of customizations that I can have with the android reading applications make up a lot for that lack.
LiseRayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:40 AM   #52
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I use an iPad for reading indoor and at night in bed with the light out and a Sony 600 for during the day outside, so I usually have 2 books on the go at the same time.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #53
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
I've been collecting different readers on and off for a couple of years now, just to play with them and try them out. I have a couple of Sony PRS-T1's, a prs-350, and two Nook Touches and a Kindle Touch.

(Between sales, trades and giving mine away to my parents and then replacing them with something else, I've had quite a few this last year.)

Although they advertise use of up to 32Gig off the microSD cards, I've limited the Sony's to 2Gig cards. Too slow and too many hang-ups even when I switched brands. The Nooks seem to be okay with the file system I'm using now, but still get too slow when searching so don't put my whole library on them.

I've ended up putting fanfic on machine, Mysteries on another, Scifi/Fant on another, and one that goes in my purse with a mixture. I tend to read fanfic between regular books, and in between books in a series. Then which one I pick up depends on what genre I have on each, and what I'm going to read next.

And I didn't intend to have two Nook Touches, but hated the Kobo Touch (and didn't want to have to walk a relative through using it) so traded it in at a local used book store. The Kobo and two bags of books got me a new Nook Touch in an unopened box, so figured that was better than keeping the Kobo and never using it.

I don't think I'll be buying new ones next year, but did learn a lot about what I do and don't like about them this year. And if push came to shove and I could only keep one, That'd be one of the Sony's, no question.
What file system Do you use on your Nook?
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #54
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I have an Apple Touch 2nd Gen., a Sony 505 and a 700, a Nook Classic and a Nook tablet.

Kindle format ebooks are limited to the Touch,.lrx ebooks and library ebooks are limited to the Sonys, everything else else is on the Nook tablet and the Sony 700. The Nook Tablet and Sony 700 are my main readers, both have microSD cards; 16 gig on the tablet and 8 gig on the Sony 700.

At the moment I have 8100 eBooks and these work well.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #55
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I have a Kindle Dx, Sony PRS-350, and a Sony PRS-505.

I only read using the Kindle DX whn I am at home. Everywhere else I use the small, portable PRS-350. I read different books on each device. Too much trouble to strip the DRM and then sync between devices. The older 505 is gathering dust.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #56
KindleChickie
Connoisseur
KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DX, iPad 2, Kindle 3, Nook simple touch
I have a DXG, K3, and NookST. I also have an ipad2 but have never successfully read a book on it. I purchased a couple of the enhanced versions, like Keith Richards bio where Johnny Depp reads part, but couldn't do it on the backlit screen.

I use the DX for marathon reading sessions. The K3 when I need a light (I have the lighted cover). And the Nook when I purchase/borrow a book in non kindle format. Right now I am into my 3rd novel in a row on the Nook. I LOVE the Nook as a reader.
KindleChickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #57
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
What file system Do you use on your Nook?
I use Calibre and send the files to a folder on my hard drive by Collection folders. They sort inside the file by file name. That's what I save for backups, and just copy the folders to the Nook SD card that way.

I found I'm more likely to remember the next book I want to read by Collection, then title, rather than by author. The files look like this...

Collection/[Series Title 01] - Book Name (genre or other note)

I have a lot of the Collection broken down into a system where I can find things easily, including an "AAAAA" genre to keep together the books I want to read next. And putting the Series name in the title keeps all the parts of the series sorted together, and in the order they should be read.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #58
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I don't really regard it as a device, but I do keep a few books loaded on my cell phone, just in case I'm stuck with nothing to do.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #59
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
This is a good question. I read on 3 devices and they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

1. My Kobo (currently on vacation with my mother) is my favorite for reading a regular book on during the day. It has a long battery life and the lack of web browsing (it does connect to the Kobo store but that is it) and other acoutrements makes it easier to focus on reading. It makes a good storage device for my books, too, as it has room for 1000 books and an SD slot if I need more (very doubtful I'll ever need to use it). It is a tough device and the eInk screen has a very "papery" look to it.

2. My Android phone (a Samsung Replenish). This has a rather small screen but I'm not far-sighted (yet but give me a year or 2, I'm almost 40 and my grandmother and mother had/have terrible macular degeneration). Anyway, I have the Kindle app on it reading my Amazon books and the Overdrive app for library books. I like reading in bed with this as I don't need an overhead light and I'm less worried about falling asleep with it than with my tablet. Also, it is a good device for sneaking a few pages here and there when I'm at work.

3. My Android tablet (a Acer Iconiatab, 10''). I have the Amazon, Kobo, and Overdrive apps on this and I'll certainly read a regular eBook on it but its strength is comics and graphic novels. I have a couple of graphic novels from Amazon and the ComicsX app on it.

My main problem with the phone and the tablet is the battery life (the tablets is actually a little better than the phone). I end up having to find an outlet if I do a reading marathon. Also, both the screens on the phone and tablet are both shiny, shiny, shny. Apps are pretty awesome and effortless, though.

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 08-01-2012 at 02:31 PM.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #60
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
There is a place and time for each and every one of my e-readers:

Android phone - read on this most of the time since it's always with me, backlit so can read in bed, small and easy to hold, mostly use fb-reader, but can also read not-yet-de-DRM'd books of almost any flavor with various apps

Sony T1 - use in bright sunlight like at the beach or in the patio of my favorite restaurant, or on trips when battery life on my phone needs to be conserved

Kindle keyboard SO - take with me on domestic trips (3G) sometimes instead of the Sony; check it regularly for special offers, which have just about repaid the cost of the Kindle itself by now

iPaq PDA (and old Sony PRS-300) - older readers that I use at the gym (sweat!) or other "e-reader hazardous" environments

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 - use the bigger screen for reading .pdf scans of older books (not available in e-book) that I've been too lazy to OCR and proof; also take it to conferences because I can easily take notes on it while working and use it as an e-reader when not working

I suppose I could get by with fewer e-readers, but why?
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote