Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #271
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubentje1991 View Post
I followed the hack mentioned in the wiki on my PRS-T1 (that I got yesterday ); but there was no Contacts.apk in the gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed package

I hope this helps someone
Thanks rubentje for some valueable information. Please, do take the time to add your findings to the wiki.
Your post is certainly great, but it will be lost to general visibility within a few days or weeks, whereas information in the wiki stays visible until it gets updated.

Thank you.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #272
mumant
mumant began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-T1
Help with adb shell?

Hello All,
Sorry if I'm not posting in the right place, but this seems to be the thread with most traffic...

Also, apologies if I am asking stupid questions - I'm a total noob with Android, no programming experience + a woman (not blonde though, so there is some hope )

Thanks to everyone who has contributed (you guys are awsome!). So far I have managed to:
- root the T1 (easy!)
- install Link2SD and transfer some of the apps to the SD card
- sync Google calendar, install gmail client + Astrid tasks (which I loooove!)

What I am trying to do is share my Nokia 5800 internet connection with the T1 so that I can surf the net when I am, say, at the park with my kids. Just thought I'd give it a try, if it's impossible, fair enough.

I have installed JoikuSpot light on the Nokia and have been able to connect with a laptop and an ipad, so that's working. I understand thought that Android devices don't like adhoc networks, which is a requirement for JoikuSpot to work. So I found some instructions here: http://androidtablethacks.com/androi...droid-tablets/, dowloaded the package and copied the wpa_supplicant file to the "Reader" directory on my T1 (wasn't sure where to put it, but saw in the video tutorial the guy puts it in root).

The unzipped adhoctablets folder sits in the root of a PC running Vista (C: drive, but I have tried this on a Macbook as well, with the same result)
Now I am able to enter the adhoctablets directory in the terminal window, but when I enter the "adb shell" command I get an "error:device not found" message. If I enter "adb devices" it says "List of devices attached", and there is nothing, so I gather it's not seeing the T1 (which is connected through USB, but file sharing is not enabled, and USB debugging is).

I have also managed to install version 1.19.3 of Busybox as I read somewhere that might be causing the problem, but unfortunately that hasn't helped.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated (and apologies for the long post)!
Cheers
Mumant
mumant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #273
mumant

Follow-up from my previous post

Ok, I found the ADB instructions in the wiki - I didn't see them before as I had no idea what ADB was when I first read the wiki
I am going to give it a go.
Cheers
Old 01-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #274
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Hello mumant and welcome to mobileread!

I was about to suggest, that you have a look at adb, but you figured this out yourself.
Thanks for your question and your link, as this was one of the issues, I had on my list as well. Using JoikuSpot Premium on an E52 here and got it working now.

One thing for you - it is not written in the instructions, but the guy does it in his (slightly chaotic) video, actually: You have to copy one file to the reader first, in order to make these instructions work:
Copy wpa_supplicant into the root directory of READER, while your T1 is connected in data transfer mode (opposed to USB debugging mode). If you copy it anywhere else, the instructions won't work.

You did update your busybox, which is certainly good. If you still run into error messages (command not known; happened to me with cp), try
Code:
busybox cp...
I got this working even without ADB. All it needs doing is copying this one file and then submitting the commands. if you do this through the terminal on the reader or ADB or ssh does not matter, actually.

It now works, but only with unsecured network (not that WEP means any security nowadays), so i won't use this in crowded places. But at least my T1 now recognises my mobile hotspot and can connect, if desperately needed.

Hope this helps. I'm gonna put a short summary into the wiki.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:53 AM   #275
rubentje1991
Enthusiast
rubentje1991 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
Thanks rubentje for some valueable information. Please, do take the time to add your findings to the wiki.
Your post is certainly great, but it will be lost to general visibility within a few days or weeks, whereas information in the wiki stays visible until it gets updated.

Thank you.
Not ready for primetime I think.....
=> at a cold boot, the shortcut to contacts is still on the ADWLaunch page, but not anymore in the app-list (and clicking on the shortcut doesn't activate the contacts app)...
Installing the app again does work (it says it's replacing the app), and after that, everything is going well again - but still strange for me (several times now that it happened - maybe somewhere there is a solution, but not good enough for putting in the wiki now I think)
rubentje1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 05:13 AM   #276
mumant

Quote:
I got this working even without ADB. All it needs doing is copying this one file and then submitting the commands. if you do this through the terminal on the reader or ADB or ssh does not matter, actually.
Thank you so much. I did use the terminal on the reader and it all seemed to work (I did get a few error messages but because of typos I made. Once I corrected the statements, they all seemed to go well). Your instructions in the wiki are very easy to follow.

Unfortunately, it hasn't solved my problem. I still cannot see the hotspot in my wifi settings on the T1. Having said that, I haven't been able to get JoikuSpot to work on my Macbook and ipad either (which worked once when I first tested them), so it may be a (phone) network problem.
I was thinking of upgrading to the paid version of JoikuSpot, but after what you say:

Quote:
It now works, but only with unsecured network
it's probably not worth getting the full version.
Thank you again for your help though!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #277
anabaino
anabaino will become famous soon enoughanabaino will become famous soon enoughanabaino will become famous soon enoughanabaino will become famous soon enoughanabaino will become famous soon enoughanabaino will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Failed to root with newest firmware 1.0.03.11140

Hey, hello to everybody. I report that rooting a SONY PRS-T1 with firmware 1.0.03.11140 upgraded yesterday (17-I-2012) does not work at all.

I tried formatting the READER partition and got the same results: nothing.

I tried rooting from Linux Kubuntu Oneiric, and also from a W$ XP 32bit with no results.

A) The procedure for the Linux case was the following:

1) Copy the contents of the sdcard folder to the /READER partition, that is, /tmp and /updates, along with the PRS-T1 updater.package file. In sum:

/READER/tmp/
/READER/updates/
/READER/PRS-T1 Updater.package

(I also tried /READER/sdcard without /READER/tmp + /READER/updates; also /READER/sdcard with them; I've even tried moving everything in the minimal-root folder to the READER with no result...)

2) Unplug the e-reader and shutdown it completely.

3) Turn on the e-reader and wait till the circling arrows appear, then press immediately the HOME button (3rd button) + the MENU button (5th one) during more than 5 seconds. Result: the e-reader does not notice at all, in fact it shows the default usual home page in less than 5 seconds!

B) In the W$ case, I formatted (following montygew's suggestion on 01-13-2012, 05:04 PM ) the /READER partition and tried the flash_reader.bat procedure, but got the same result as when I tried without formatting, that is, the problem reported by FinancialWar user on 12-28-2011, 10:34 PM and montygew on 01-07-2012, 04:35 PM.

Then, I'm not sure if what oliwek (01-09-2012, 08:31 AM ) reports wil work in every case.

Do you know anything else I can try, or perhaps there's something I'm doing wrong?

Thank you in advance.

P.S.: BTW, could you guys report what Operating System are you using when tweaking the SONY? I think it would be very useful!

Last edited by anabaino; 01-18-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: specification
anabaino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #278
vishcompany
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabaino View Post
3) Turn on the e-reader and wait till the circling arrows appear, then press immediately the HOME button (3rd button) + the MENU button (5th one) during more than 5 seconds. Result: the e-reader does not notice at all, in fact it shows the default usual home page in less than 5 seconds!
As soon as the circling arrows appear, it's too late. You have to press HOME + MENU immediately (while showing "opening book")

Quote:
B) In the W$ case, I formatted (following montygew's suggestion on 01-13-2012, 05:04 PM ) the /READER partition and tried the flash_reader.bat procedure, but got the same result as when I tried without formatting, that is, the problem reported by FinancialWar user on 12-28-2011, 10:34 PM and montygew on 01-07-2012, 04:35 PM.

Then, I'm not sure if what oliwek (01-09-2012, 08:31 AM ) reports wil work in every case.

Do you know anything else I can try, or perhaps there's something I'm doing wrong?

Thank you in advance.

P.S.: BTW, could you guys report what Operating System are you using when tweaking the SONY? I think it would be very useful!
I suppose, you referred to this post. Reading on, you will discover, that some people had issues with 64bit win.

Besides all this: Please do place links or quotes to posts you are referring to (like I just did for you, but only once). Nobody is going to look up
Quote:
oliwek (01-09-2012, 08:31 AM )
in a thread (which thread, actually?)
Old 01-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #279
anabaino
anabaino will become famous soon enoughanabaino will become famous soon enoughanabaino will become famous soon enoughanabaino will become famous soon enoughanabaino will become famous soon enoughanabaino will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Thanks for replying and for your advice.

For the Linux part, in any case, pressing the buttons before the arrows appear doesn't make the slightest difference.

Regarding the W$ problem, let me remind that I'm using a *32bit SO*, and keep having the problem reported before:

"Reader [READER] not found

The system cannot execute the specified program.

Enter the letter of the Reader drive?"

Entering the letter (F in my case) doesn't work, and then I get:

"Script did not complete
Press any key to continue..."

In conclusion: at this moment maybe you won't be able to success in rooting the ereader with firmware 1.0.03.11140
anabaino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #280
j0534ng31
Connoisseur
j0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1 black
Quote:
In conclusion: at this moment maybe you won't be able to success in rooting the ereader with firmware 1.0.03.11140
But it's the same firmware version that almost all of as are using... rooted, I mean!

Can you write the links to the posts you say? Until now, I haven't found problems in rooting any T1 (except yours)

I'm using Win 7 Pro 64 bit... with no problem at all... (except "gadget serial", now solved)

Last edited by j0534ng31; 01-18-2012 at 03:55 PM.
j0534ng31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #281
Canabuc
Canabuc began at the beginning.

Having same dilemma. Tried both on Mac and windows 32bit pc. Followed all the steps but no root occurred. Am on latest sony firmware.

Is it posible that those on newest firmware updated firmware after achieving root?
Maybe Sony blocked this rooting procedure in latest update?

Last edited by Canabuc; 01-18-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Canabuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #282
Canabuc

In fact looking at the files once usb reconnected. Nothing is there. It is as if nothing flashed
Old 01-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #283
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Thanks for replying and for your advice.

For the Linux part, in any case, pressing the buttons before the arrows appear doesn't make the slightest difference.

Regarding the W$ problem, let me remind that I'm using a *32bit SO*, and keep having the problem reported before:

"Reader [READER] not found

The system cannot execute the specified program.

Enter the letter of the Reader drive?"

Entering the letter (F in my case) doesn't work, and then I get:

"Script did not complete
Press any key to continue..."

Ok. First, let me state for the record that your "conclusion" has no basis in reality. You can not get the tool to run, what's that to do with the firmware version? Read about the Visual C++ Redistributable, that might help.

The firmware version you've got is totally hackable.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #284
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canabuc View Post
Is it posible that those on newest firmware updated firmware after achieving root?
Maybe Sony blocked this rooting procedure in latest update?
I got my T1 just after Xmas, and updated to newest firmware before I used it. I then rooted a couple of days later. Rooting was done on a WinXP netbook.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #285
Canabuc

So why won't it work for me?
Followed directions to a T
Only thing not stock is I am using Calibre to manage my library...
could that have modified a file preventing it from working?

Tags
android, prs-t1, root, rooted, sony