Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #91
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
For now you can remember the page number and to a goto page to return.
That will get you close, but not to the exact sames spot since every 'page' is really several page turns long correct?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #92
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That will get you close, but not to the exact sames spot since every 'page' is really several page turns long correct?
True enough, even a bookmark only sets the 'page'. I think this needs to be changed for all formats.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:21 PM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Sometimes. I really think you WANT to like the Pocket Pro.
I don't see how these bugs/issues got past QA and made it into production devices. I would like to see things fixed but fixed in a logical manor. Some things are just not logical.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #94
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
fuzzy letter at end of line.

I have been reading some epub format from Baen a was noticing every few pages that 1 letter at the line end (different line positions) was fuzzy.
I was going to try an make a image until I noticed that these were tiny numbers. I changed from Zoom 3 or 4 on a page and it turns out to be the original text's page number showing up on the right edge.
Baen, Bug or just normal for epub?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #95
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I have been reading some epub format from Baen a was noticing every few pages that 1 letter at the line end (different line positions) was fuzzy.
I was going to try an make a image until I noticed that these were tiny numbers. I changed from Zoom 3 or 4 on a page and it turns out to be the original text's page number showing up on the right edge.
Baen, Bug or just normal for epub?
I was told this is part of the Adobe Epub implementation.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #96
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
I have been reading some epub format from Baen a was noticing every few pages that 1 letter at the line end (different line positions) was fuzzy. Baen, Bug or just normal for epub?
It's Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) which puts those "logical page numbers" on there. It has nothing to do with the publisher or the ePub format, purely the "reader software", ADE in this case. Unfortunately, that seems to be the only ePub reader software that ebook manufacturers are including at this point.
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #97
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
for the quick reply.
What were they thinking to blur the last letter of text to the point of unreadability. Why not put the page # on a line by itself, even if it is tiny type and not over-print a existing character?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #98
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
for the quick reply.
What were they thinking to blur the last letter of text to the point of unreadability. Why not put the page # on a line by itself, even if it is tiny type and not over-print a existing character?

I don't think that was the intent at all, it is overlayed -- you can actually see both, but the limited black levels make it difficult. I find the page numbers useful and they don't usually interfere with my reading. Part of it depends on how the margins are set on the particular book.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #99
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
What about editing the endnote to include a link to the initial caller. For example:

"And Christopher set loose the Hounds of Blant (1) upon the invading horde.

"(1)" links to the end of the book endnote number 1.

(1) The Hounds of Blant are a summoned horde of misbegotten gnomish hunting dogs whos bray can piece the heart and cause the most stouthearted to cower in fear or turn and run(C1)

"(C1)" links to the initial "Hounds of Blant" endnote call in the body of the text. Selecting this will send you back to the page you were on when you left to read the endnote.

This will double the amount of hyperlinks in a given book, but you need not worry about making bookmarks, and having a BACK TO BOOK button in the firmware.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #100
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
What about editing the endnote to include a link to the initial caller. For example:

"And Christopher set loose the Hounds of Blant (1) upon the invading horde.

"(1)" links to the end of the book endnote number 1.

(1) The Hounds of Blant are a summoned horde of misbegotten gnomish hunting dogs whos bray can piece the heart and cause the most stouthearted to cower in fear or turn and run(C1)

"(C1)" links to the initial "Hounds of Blant" endnote call in the body of the text. Selecting this will send you back to the page you were on when you left to read the endnote.

This will double the amount of hyperlinks in a given book, but you need not worry about making bookmarks, and having a BACK TO BOOK button in the firmware.
This can be simplified even more. Footnote (1) makes a hyperlink to the Endnotes thus:

(1) The Hounds of Blant are...

The return hyperlink is placed on the (1) in the target. Click that and it takes you back to your place in the body of the original text. I used this method in a PDF version of Beowulf I formatted last year. It works well enough in Adobe Reader and on the PPro too, as long as you know how to active hyperlinks on the PPro.

I'll try to attach the Beowulf file here:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Beowulf.pdf (695.5 KB, 253 views)

Last edited by 6charlong; 09-26-2009 at 05:50 PM. Reason: I discovered this method of doing endnotes works fine on the PPro but didn't understand how to use endnotes on PPro at first.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #101
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
BTW. I just looked at one of the ePub books I'm currently reading and the publisher implemented footnotes--actually they used endnotes--the same way I did in Beowulf. You select the endnote you want to see and click Go; it takes you to the page of endnotes; read the one you want to see; select the number of the note and click Go again, and it takes you back to where you were in the text. The publisher of this eBook is Cannongate.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #102
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
BTW. I just looked at one of the ePub books I'm currently reading and the publisher implemented footnotes--actually they used endnotes--the same way I did in Beowulf. You select the endnote you want to see and click Go; it takes you to the page of endnotes; read the one you want to see; select the number of the note and click Go again, and it takes you back to where you were in the text. The publisher of this eBook is Cannongate.
that is pretty much the way they convert if you have footnotes in word. When you translate to HTML on the way to ePUB the Word program puts both links in.

Dale
Old 10-02-2009, 12:33 AM   #103
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Can someone please tell me what button to press etc when I turn on the Pocket Pro to to a firmware update? I'm up to step 4 but does the "silver volume button" apply to the PP? Does this mean the page turning button on the side? Or do I press something else? Thanks.

From the Astak website:
1. After downloading the upgrade from our website, you must first unzip the file on your computer.
2. After unzipping, put the ".bin" file on your SD card. Your SD card must be 4GB or smaller (for the 6" EZ Reader) or 16GB or smaller (for the 5"PocketPRO) to do this.
3. Turn OFF your EZ Reader, and then insert the SD card into your EZ Reader.
4. Then, first holding down the silver "volume up" button on the right side of the EZ Reader, then press the ON button to turn on your EZ Reader.
5. Keep pressing the buttons until you hear a beep-beep sound.
6. The screen will display a message to ask if you want to update the firmware, so press the OK button to confirm, and wait until it finishes loading the firmware. Then you're done!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:00 AM   #104
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Can someone please tell me what button to press etc when I turn on the Pocket Pro to to a firmware update? I'm up to step 4 but does the "silver volume button" apply to the PP? Does this mean the page turning button on the side? Or do I press something else? Thanks.

From the Astak website:
1. After downloading the upgrade from our website, you must first unzip the file on your computer.
2. After unzipping, put the ".bin" file on your SD card. Your SD card must be 4GB or smaller (for the 6" EZ Reader) or 16GB or smaller (for the 5"PocketPRO) to do this.
3. Turn OFF your EZ Reader, and then insert the SD card into your EZ Reader.
4. Then, first holding down the silver "volume up" button on the right side of the EZ Reader, then press the ON button to turn on your EZ Reader.
5. Keep pressing the buttons until you hear a beep-beep sound.
6. The screen will display a message to ask if you want to update the firmware, so press the OK button to confirm, and wait until it finishes loading the firmware. Then you're done!
This is the description for the V3 not the V5. For the V5 the 4th step is to hold down the upper button on the left top side (next page).

Dale
Old 10-02-2009, 01:24 AM   #105
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Thanks Dale!

I never would have guessed it was that button to press! (especially since it isn't near the right side as mentioned). This forum is a great.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote