Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Harry Turtledove: One class act

From CNET: Headline says it all.
Sci-Fi author reveals series plot for cancer-ridden fan

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57...ag=rtcol;posts

Kinda glad I was already a fan.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
bbqncigars
PDA dino
bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, Rooted NC, Voyages(2)
A very classy and compassionate move indeed by Mr. Turtledove!
bbqncigars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Pretty cool, I have to say. Kudos to Mr. Turtledove, whose writings I enjoy myself.

Good thing he didn't ask for the Harry Potter ebooks to be published, so there was a realistic chance of a happy ending. If I should get seriously ill I might be tempted to ask George R. R. Martin for a similar favour, but I suspect that'd be asking for the moon on a stick.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
That is great. We should all be so lucky to have a friend like that.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
That is great. We should all be so lucky to have a friend like that.
Amen to that. Well done Kivakid, well done indeed!

It's nice to know that one of my favorite authors is also a pretty good guy. I guess perhaps I should pop over to Amazon and pick up a few of his books in Kindle format that I had been holding off on!
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
this guy might post it on pirate sites before he dies!!!!!

i'm being flippant but i'm sure those were the exact words of his publisher when he told them of his plans.

good for both men involved, thats very cool of mr. turtledove.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I had tears in my eyes after reading the article. It is nice to see some one who cares about people.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I came across this on Fark the other day... Could have sworn it was a bit dusty at my desk...
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I think I'll purchase something from Turtledove today as my way of saying thanks.

Edit: Bought this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	days.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	83057  

Last edited by ucfgrad93; 02-25-2012 at 06:49 PM.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
First I will say I am not addressing any author in particular and especially not Harry or George.

Should an author be a public person beyond publishing their books?

Should an author give advance drafts to the dying and in fact do so very publicly?
Should an author take ill fans to dinner, to a dance, to gala author events? (Yes there are a few. Conventions, dinners, award functions and the like.)

I say that an author can do those things if they wish, but sometimes an author's personality is such that doing those things may not only be difficult, but in fact may harm their capacity for work and in the end be detrimental.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #11
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I think I'll purchase something from Turtledove today as my way of saying thanks.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
Pretty cool, I have to say. Kudos to Mr. Turtledove, whose writings I enjoy myself.

Good thing he didn't ask for the Harry Potter ebooks to be published, so there was a realistic chance of a happy ending. If I should get seriously ill I might be tempted to ask George R. R. Martin for a similar favour, but I suspect that'd be asking for the moon on a stick.
Ms Rowling did something similar for a terminally-ill girl in the UK, I remember. She visited her in hospital and told her the story of the last Harry Potter book (this was before it was published, obviously).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Should an author be a public person beyond publishing their books?

Should an author give advance drafts to the dying and in fact do so very publicly?
Should an author take ill fans to dinner, to a dance, to gala author events? (Yes there are a few. Conventions, dinners, award functions and the like.)

I say that an author can do those things if they wish, but sometimes an author's personality is such that doing those things may not only be difficult, but in fact may harm their capacity for work and in the end be detrimental.
Unless they're writing under a pseudonym, successful writers are in fact public personalities. It comes with success. The bigger the success, the bigger the issue; just ask King or Rowling. Some come to mind that *exploit* their celebrity (Gore vidal for one) while others strive for annonymity amid their success because they think the celebrity is deterimental. Depends on the person and their situation.

Publicity value? Well, it's not as if they held a press conference. This sorta filtered out. Even CNET got it from another site who got it...
Acts like this do get publicized so, as long as it is incidental...
(shrug)

The fact is a *lot* of acts of kindness like this happen every day that don't filter out, even when they involve celebrities or public figures. There's the various "Make a wish"-type foundations, for starters. Not every celebrity holds a gala to announce they're doing a good deed. Most just quietly do it and we never hear about it. A few we do. Which makes them notable.

In the SF/Fantasy field there is the case of "Jenny Elf", a drunk-driver victim that Piers Anthony and Richard&Wendy Pini engaged with and helped during her recovery.
http://www.jimloy.com/books/jenny.htm
(Not everybody seems to think publishing the letters, much later, was a good idea. Without knowing where the revenue from the volume ended up I can't judge, myself.)

Authors are people and some are good people.
A reminder now and then can't hurt, can it?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #14
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
Mr. Turtledove is one of my favorite authors, so much so that I automatically pre-order everything he publishes. It's good to know that he's a real mensch as well.
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #15
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrated View Post
Mr. Turtledove is one of my favorite authors, so much so that I automatically pre-order everything he publishes. It's good to know that he's a real mensch as well.
Same here. I've bought every book in hardcover at its release that he has written that was published in hardcover and continue to do so. This act of kindness makes me glad that I preorder his books and support him.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote