Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-05-2006, 02:41 AM   #1
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Zune and Iliad: Parallel wireless stories?

I just wanted to share this, it just made my day, and it's parallels to the Iliad are stunning.

According to engadget: The "Zune" mp3 player by the evil ones, which was supposed to be the iPod killer due to its wireless interface, does only support crippled nonsense applications over the interface. Thanks goes to PennyArcade for pointing that out.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:20 AM   #2
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
...it's parallels to the Iliad are stunning.
How is an e-reader, utilising the latest e-ink displays and produced by a small company, remotely like a mp3 player made by one of the worlds largest...? And 'evil-ones'...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2006, 03:21 AM   #3
ali
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
How is an e-reader, utilising the latest e-ink displays and produced by a small company, remotely like a mp3 player made by one of the worlds largest...?
parallel stories, dude!
Old 10-05-2006, 03:26 AM   #4
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
This can change for the Iliad. And probably won't change for the Zune.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:28 AM   #5
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
parallel stories, dude!
Still not seeing it... Dunno about it German but in English saying someing has parallels means that both items are similiar... Yep they both have wireless and (in theory ) can both play mp3's but apart from that they are completely different products from completely different companies...

Or is this your sense of "humor" again...?
Advert
Old 10-05-2006, 03:44 AM   #6
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
he wants to say "here you are, another company adding wireless hardware (which is cool) but completely fscking up the software side (which isn't)", if i got it right.

But an MP3 player with unlimited WLan would become the #1 copyright infringement tool.
(Just imagine a player broadcasting the whole content while switched on and allowing everyone else to download every album you have when in wireless range. The music industry would go *so* nuts.)
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:49 AM   #7
ali
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
(Just imagine a player broadcasting the whole content while switched on and allowing everyone else to download every album you have when in wireless range. The music industry would go *so* nuts.)
I think that's possible. You can download everything, and get the "right" to play it three times, without ability of further broadcast. DRM world, that is.

[And, reg. humor speculations: I had a good laugh from the Penny Arcade comic, because I just felt the same when I got my Iliad and found out the wireless is only to be used for boring nonsense.]
Old 10-05-2006, 07:09 AM   #8
jęd
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
[And, reg. humor speculations: I had a good laugh from the Penny Arcade comic, because I just felt the same when I got my Iliad and found out the wireless is only to be used for boring nonsense.]
Well... Yep, the Zune does seem a bit crippled, but AFAIK for the Illiad the updates for both software and content still work via wireless... Unless of course the "evil ones" at Irex have put a stop to that...
Old 10-05-2006, 08:54 AM   #9
ali
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Well... Yep, the Zune does seem a bit crippled, but AFAIK for the Illiad the updates for both software and content still work via wireless... Unless of course the "evil ones" at Irex have put a stop to that...
OMG, you are perfect at not understanding a word I say... Unbelievable. I need a translater.

P.S. The "evil ones" are Microsoft.