Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
Big Kev
Enthusiast
Big Kev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Ipad
Readers & Eye Strain

As a newbie exploring ebook readers with a view to acquisition (which looks as though it may be difficult enough in OZ) I would be interested in any comments regarding eye strain with these devices.

I wear glasses for reading (due to the aging process) and eye strain is an issue for me when using a PC for extended periods. Invariably when I have something I need to read on the PC I will print it out as I find it less tiring on the eyes to read in hard copy.

Ereader promotional material I have read seems to claim that they are similar to reading a hard copy book in so far as eye strain is concerned and as this is a significant consideration for me I would be interested in hearing from users, in a similar position, about their experience regarding eye strain.

Thanks
Kevin
Big Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Hi Big Kev, and welcome.

With regard to eye strain and the similarity (or not) of an e-reader to a paper book, I would say that in my experience I have had no problems with eye strain and feel that the experience is very similar to reading a paper book.

I would stress that I can only speak for the Sony PRS-505, it being the only one that I have had any experience of, and also admit that I don't need glasses.

I would recommend that you do try to get as long a 'test read' of any reader you are interested in as you can. In other threads on here it seems clear that everybody's experience is different, with some people rejecting readers as having inadequate displays where others think that they're great.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I'll speak for the Sony 505 as well. I find it less strain on my old eyes (yes, I wear glasses) than paper books! Nothing like trying to read on the computer screen! The Sony 505 seems to have much less glare and a far more 'comfortable' screen than the 'touch-screen' models. I read on mine several hours every day.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
juanito
juanito began at the beginning.

Device: none
My wife loves my Kindle as she says it reduces her eyestrain compared to real books. She has glasses and is prone to migraines if she looks at a screen too long. She even complains that her eyes get tired when she reads real books. But with the eBook reader she just increases the font size a bit and reads for hours without complaint. The only trouble is getting her off it so that I can use it.
juanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
MikeRo
Connoisseur
MikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle 3
I've hit that stage of life where I need bifocals and I too am bothered by extended periods in front of a computer (be it a CRT or LCD screen). I find my Sony Reader to be absolutely fine for extended periods of reading. I don't find it any better than paper but rather the same in terms of comfort. I can understand how others would see the ability to increase the font size as a major benefit, though.
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I have now moved to bifocals myself and have no problems whatsoever reading my Sony. The only eyestrain I get is if I don't stop reading after 8 hours, but not sure if that has to do with the reader .

I find reading the Sony like a book. Sure, there is a bit of glare but it doesn't bother me all that much. And on days when my eyes or my head is a bit tired, I just increase the font size.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:10 AM   #7
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Although I don't wear glasses myself, I've had other issues with my eyes. Reading on back-lit screens definitely made my eyes dry more. Reading on my Iliad is very similar to reading normals books - with one major exception. The advantage of e-reader is that you can increase the font size to suit your preference.
Try that with a dead-tree book without a magnifying glass
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:21 AM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Kindle doesn't include eye strain at this time, perhaps in a future firmware update
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:25 AM   #9
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I agree with what has been said above. I use reading glasses as well.

I assumed that it would be at least a little more difficult to read on a e-reader compared to a paper-book. But I have discovered that I prefer to read novels on the e-reader if at all possible. Magazines is another question... But in a year or two, I expect that there will be larger colour e-readers that can handle that as well. Perhaps even with possibility for watching movies.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:25 AM   #10
elvee
elvee began at the beginning.

Device: bebook, bebook mini, sony Prs 600, Sony Prs650 Kobo Touch, Kindle Tou
Hi Big Kev,
In regards to eye strain and the ereaders. I have not had any problem with eye strain, it is not anything like looking at a computer screen, I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you have made your choice. Also, as others have already said, if you feel a bit weary at the end of the day, you just increase the font size and off you go.
Regards
elvee
elvee is offline   Reply With Quote