Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-31-2008, 10:37 AM   #16
Libby Cone
scribbler
Libby Cone doesn't litterLibby Cone doesn't litterLibby Cone doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
What about Cormac McCarthy?

Am I the only serious reader who dislikes Cormac McCarthy? As I mentioned in another post, I found the beginning of "All the Pretty Horses" a snore job. I couldn't finish "Blood Meridian" because of the over-the-top descriptions of EVERYTHING, from sunsets and mountains to pus and vomit. Plus no inner life of any of the characters.
Libby Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:05 PM   #17
awesomevegan
Connoisseur
awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindleing since 11/4/08
I will never understand some of the books they made me read in school. Usually we either ONE were not old enough to appreciate them or TWO they were so boring we couldn't get absorbed in them. However I love to read on my own terms. At the risk of getting picked on... I hated The Call of the Wild, Of Mice and Men and To Kill a Mockingbird. But if they had given me a fantasy or sci-fi book or something about an alternate society I probably would have eaten it up.
awesomevegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2008, 12:39 PM   #18
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomevegan View Post
I will never understand some of the books they made me read in school. Usually we either ONE were not old enough to appreciate them or TWO they were so boring we couldn't get absorbed in them. However I love to read on my own terms. At the risk of getting picked on... I hated The Call of the Wild, Of Mice and Men and To Kill a Mockingbird. But if they had given me a fantasy or sci-fi book or something about an alternate society I probably would have eaten it up.
Glad to see you are trying out the list Luckily Jane Austen crosses over.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:54 PM   #19
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Cone View Post
Am I the only serious reader who dislikes Cormac McCarthy? As I mentioned in another post, I found the beginning of "All the Pretty Horses" a snore job. I couldn't finish "Blood Meridian" because of the over-the-top descriptions of EVERYTHING, from sunsets and mountains to pus and vomit. Plus no inner life of any of the characters.
Funny that this should come up in the same thread bashing Hemingway. I read The Road, and as I finished, it dawned on me that it's simply a post-modernist re-hash of the same themes that were already (poorly, IMHO) explored in The Old Man and the Sea.

Of course, I seem to have become extremely cynical and picky of late. The last book I truly enjoyed was over a year ago: Wendy Doniger's The Woman Who Pretended To Be Who She Was.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #20
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I have read only 2 books from the list: The Lord of the Rings and War and Peace – Leo Tolstoy. The latter by "accident". I was forced to read it in school.
Reading War and Peace by accident sounds like eating 12 Big Macs by accident. Its not like it is something that happens quickly before you can take evasive action if you know what I mean.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2008, 02:11 PM   #21
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Reading War and Peace by accident sounds like eating 12 Big Macs by accident. Its not like it is something that happens quickly before you can take evasive action if you know what I mean.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #22
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Ha-ha!
The only way out was out of the school, which was not an acceptable solution.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:58 PM   #23
awesomevegan
Connoisseur
awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Glad to see you are trying out the list Luckily Jane Austen crosses over.
I have heard good things about her. She is also clearly one of Stephenie Meyer's influences, seeing as Bella reads her in Twilight. Thats why I read Jane Eyre and have Wuthering Heights on my list... oh what have I gotten myself into... (Thank you Mrs. Meyer!) If I ever want to finish any of these I need to drag myself away from the forums and read! I am working on some more modern books for the time being.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:00 PM   #24
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
I have heard good things about her. She is also clearly one of Stephenie Meyer's influences, seeing as Bella reads her in Twilight. Thats why I read Jane Eyre and have Wuthering Heights on my list... oh what have I gotten myself into... (Thank you Mrs. Meyer!) If I ever want to finish any of these I need to drag myself away from the forums and read! I am working on some more modern books for the time being.
Pride and Prejudice is one of my most favorite books
Old 12-31-2008, 05:03 PM   #25
awesomevegan
Connoisseur

Do you recommend reading Jane Austen's books in any order or does it matter?
Old 12-31-2008, 05:09 PM   #26
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I think I have to protest that Fear and Loathing is on that list as well as Pride and Prejudice.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:24 PM   #27
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Do you recommend reading Jane Austen's books in any order or does it matter?
Nope. Any order you wish.

Then, after you read Pride and Prejudice, rent the A&E Pride and Prejudice miniseries with Colin Firth.

*sigh*
Old 12-31-2008, 07:24 PM   #28
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Cone View Post
Am I the only serious reader who dislikes Cormac McCarthy?
Yes. Yes you are. So, I'm afraid the rest of us in the Anton Chigurh Fan Club are getting our stunguns together to track you down and eliminate your dissenting opinion.

Actually, I did quite like The Road and No Country For Old Men, though I haven't read anything else by him. The Road was the second-most depressing book I ever read.

Of course, perhaps I'm not a "serious reader", since some of my literary proclivities are towards cats wearing hats coming back.

Cheers,
Evil-Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:14 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm ashamed to admit that I've never even heard of Cormac McCarthy!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #30
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm ashamed to admit that I've never even heard of Cormac McCarthy!
I never heard of him either, but there are more books written than an army of professors could ever read and why should we all read the same ones?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote