Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-12-2022, 08:36 PM   #1
abrogard
Zealot
abrogard began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Must We Reinstall Plugins After Update?

I'm wondering whether to do the latest update. Will it break my plugins if I do?
abrogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:35 PM   #2
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I've never had a Calibre update break any plugins. I suppose it's possible if the update is a major one that, for instance, changes the Python version it uses or perhaps the QT platform. There's usually a pinned thread in the Plugins forum about that, though.

EDIT: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=344064
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2022, 09:53 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
I'm wondering whether to do the latest update. Will it break my plugins if I do?
Calibre 6 will break a few that are no longer maintained because internals use older versions of QT or Python than 6 uses.

If you check the Plugin (you use) thread, you can see if the current maintainer has done the update to be ready(a goodly number of the popular ones ARE ready)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:41 PM   #4
abrogard
Zealot

I thought I had a memory - couple of memories - of one of those 'install plugin from a file' plugins just not being there after an update.

And having to go through the whole find it on the web, download unwrap install thing..

But hey, my memories are very fallible. I have disk crashes and installations all over the family's 5 computers and all sorts of complicating factors that give rise to me thinking something has happened that didn't.

So I guess it'll be alright. I'll go for it. Not the end of the world if I do need to reinstall something. I can handle it.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-13-2022, 01:15 AM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
I thought I had a memory - couple of memories - of one of those 'install plugin from a file' plugins just not being there after an update.
A lot of plugins broke with the switch to 5.x, due to Python2>Python3 switch. Also one of the early 5.x versions had a glitchy dependency issue that also ate plugins.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-13-2022 at 01:29 AM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2022, 04:54 AM   #6
abrogard
Zealot

maybe that was it. I'll see what happens this time.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:02 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If a PI was valid (for the release), it does not matter HOW it was installed.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote