Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #31
jswinden
Nameless Being

Perspective might be important here. We are discussing an item that if bricked would mean an out of pocket loss of no more than $249 + tax and/or shipping. Would I gamble on an item that costs $1,000, doubtful. Would I gamble on an item that costs $10,000, no way. But I would not worry too much over a $250 item. Everyone will have their own limit of course, but I don't even buy extended warrantees on items less than a $1,000. It boils down to if you are willing to lose X amount of money on a mistake. If so, that is your business and no one else's.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #32
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Please. Rooting this device takes it from about a 7 to a 10. I absolutely don't care that rooting voids my warranty. I would rather take the risk and have my device run exactly how I want and need it to, than hang on to it for years and barely using it because it's not doing what I want and need.

I needed a comic book app, a bigger selection of magazine and newpaper apps, and a better browser. Why shouldn't I have it?
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #33
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I was gifted the nook for christmas. After using this device as is I've came to the conclusion that the nook is not viable for me as is.

So I'm considering rooting the device in order to read kindle books,epub and pdf. However I am concerned about voiding the warranty.

So I've got a decision to make, root the device or return the device.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #34
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hate the way the nook browser zooms the web pages, does rooting the device resore the default behavior of pinch to zoom.

I've noticed the pinch to zoom for the pdf reader is really bad, was pinch to zoom disabled on the web because the nook cannot handle it?
Old 12-28-2010, 12:11 AM   #35
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I'm considering rooting the device in order to read kindle books
Irony and hilarity in just one package.

Quote:
However I am concerned about voiding the warranty.
Consider the info in the following thread carefully.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112846
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 12:18 AM   #36
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
... and be sure to include yourself in the poll, so you can join all 30 people that voted.

KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #37
confusedgeek
confusedgeek began at the beginning.

Device: nookcolor
I purchased the book to root, so the warranty issue would of stopped me.

Im also part of the palm webos community, rooting is in my blood.

Hmm i didn't even think of the kindle angle. Just another reason to do it. Best of both worlds. Those sony have an android app?

Btw, as someone whose rooting didn't go as smoothly as it should have, i don't regrert it. But, stuff if left behind even if u go back to the pre root device.
confusedgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #38
confusedgeek

I purchased the book to root, so the warranty issue would of stopped me.

Im also part of the palm webos community, rooting is in my blood.

Hmm i didn't even think of the kindle angle. Just another reason to do it. Best of both worlds. Those sony have an android app?

Btw, as someone whose rooting didn't go as smoothly as it should have, i don't regrert it. But, stuff if left behind even if u go back to the pre root device.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:24 AM   #39
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Irony and hilarity in just one package.

Consider the info in the following thread carefully.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112846
Glad you enjoy my demented humor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
... and be sure to include yourself in the poll, so you can join all 30 people that voted.

Not a good pole, you are asking if the warranty is void based on the words of a enthusiast? Why not show a link to B&N license?
I'll still participate, just giving my $.02

=X=
Old 12-28-2010, 04:10 AM   #40
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I don't have one, but the only thing that would motivate me to buy one would be to root it. I think they should sell them already rooted.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #41
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I think they should sell them already rooted.
Me too.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #42
confusedgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I don't have one, but the only thing that would motivate me to buy one would be to root it. I think they should sell them already rooted.

isnt that whats basically going to happen in january? or were those rumors false about the software update to the latest android os?
Old 12-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #43
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedgeek View Post
isnt that whats basically going to happen in january? or were those rumors false about the software update to the latest android os?
No. Updating the software and adding additional apps is what BN plans to do, NOT root the device and allow full Android functionality.

I don't blame them. Would Amazon break Kindle's OS to allow easy, automatic downloads from BN and Overdrive? Would Apple jailbreak IOS devices to allow wireless downloading from Zune? No? Then why would anyone expect BN to do it with their Nook devices?
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #44
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Me too.
Me three. Being able to load android apps makes the NC an excellent device for the price. Just use it for a few days stock first to make sure it's working right. Then load anything you want on your own device. It's nobody else's business.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #45
Srqt
Srqt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I haven't rooted yet but most likely will. I have had quite a few android devices and have rooted (and hence voided the warranty) on all of them, I have also had an iphone which was jailbroken (also voiding the warranty).

With all that said I also got warranty replacements on both my iphone and My Samsung vibrant.

I think the only reason that they even put this clause on the warranty is to stop non tech savvy people from trying to get replacements on devices that are only "broken" because they don't know what they are doing.
Srqt is offline   Reply With Quote