Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
advice for colour ereader please

I love to have an ereader. I have been using my iPhone for over a year and I love it for reading books. However, it is small. I am looking for an ereader but I just want to stay away from black/white.
My iPhone shows beautiful pictures in colour. BTW, I read a lot of nonfiction, most photography books so colour is a must. Or what would you recommend? Just get a good one and are black/white pictures good? Or what colour one is there available in Canada you would recommend?
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There are no color e-ink devices so you would be looking at a device with an LCD screen.

The two I know of, and I know that there are many more, are the Nook Color and the IPad. The Nook Color is not sold in Canada but there are ways around that.

I am sure that others will post with some LCD sceen e-readers as opposed to the tablets I mentioned.

Good luck.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
Aluratek Libre Multimedia eBook Reader with LCD 7" Color Display
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=110344
99 $ for canadian customers only.

Cheers.

Last edited by erictoma; 12-10-2010 at 01:37 PM.
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Take a look at the PocketBook IQ as well. It's a 7" LCD.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
Take a look at the PocketBook IQ as well. It's a 7" LCD.
Does the Pocketbook IQ have a built in English dictionary ?
thanks a lot.
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pandigital!

I just found one here at FutureShop; its a Pandigital for $179 colour

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...4f2307d65een02

Anyone heard/has one of these??
Old 12-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post

I have heard of them, but if you do a through the forum you might find that a lot of people returned theirs. Maybe those were just the people I had talked to, so I would suggest doing a search.

I think the Pocketbook IQ ships to Canada and I have seen a lot of good reviews on those. But keep in mind the Nook Colour or a better tablet would give you a better picture.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
erictoma
Banned

Quote:

I have seen some bad reviews about it in Amazon.com
Old 12-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
bcgirl
Groupie

Am not sure now if it is has to be colour though.... If it is just for fiction, it is not a problem. I am so used to my colour screen in my iPhone ;-)
What are your opinions, everything has its pros and cons of course. But Xmas is around the corner!!! :-)

Last edited by bcgirl; 12-10-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Am not sure whether to go for good quality but black/white.....how are the graphics, photos, how important would colour be??
That depends on what you read. If you read books that include color photographs or magazines with color then a color e-reader makes sense for you. If most of what you read is in black and white then a black and white e-reader makes sense for you.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Am not sure now if it is has to be colour though.... If it is just for fiction, it is not a problem. I am so used to my colour screen in my iPhone ;-)
What are your opinions, everything has its pros and cons of course. But Xmas is around the corner!!! :-)
You have said in your first post that you read lot of non fiction !
For fiction books, you could by a black and white E ink reader of course. no need for images or illustrations in fiction book I think. A black E ink reader would give you a 16 gray scale image, which is far enough.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictoma View Post
Does the Pocketbook IQ have a built in English dictionary ?
thanks a lot.
Yes, it sure does.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
I personally like the e-ink because it looks just like paper and ink. Also the battery lasts longer than a reader with an lcd screen. The pictures look great in B&W but if you were reading graphic novels or picture books, I would go with colour. If you are going to be reading mostly books with text, then a e-ink reader would suit your needs.

You also need to keep in mind things like where you plan to purchase your ebooks from or if you want to use the library.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #14
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
Yes, it sure does.
Oh that's a good piece news !
What do you think about its dictionary ? concise? bigger? easy to use?
thank you so much
Old 12-11-2010, 03:26 AM   #15
bcgirl
Groupie

I think I better wait for a while to see if there will be a good quality colour ereader available. I am sure next year there are more and better choices than the market has to offer right now. I will have a look at the Sony ereader (didnot like the Kobo I tried at Chapters).
If I want a special book for photos or colour graphics I will buy the printed version.