Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-04-2011, 03:25 AM   #1
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
Shaw email setup

I am having problems setting up my shaw email that is a pop3 setting on the email app.

I have used the pop3 and smtp as I did with my window live on my computer with the same ports and same securities. username and password is correct.

Am I missing something? Anyone in Calgary with a shaw.ca email had success with this?

Thanks
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I use shaw in bc but I have not yet receved my vox. Once I do, I will check it.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I think for Android/mobile devices, it's different than your PC. I had success with Incoming messages, but no success with outgoing messages, even by following Shaw's documentation I found (see below). I gave up for now...may try calling shaw tech support one of these days to see if one of the techs can help me out...

If anyone can get this to work, let me know. I think the key to it not working has something to do with the authentication not working, and having no way of turning off authentication - but that's just a guess.

Android
Setting Up an Email Account
1.Select the Application icon.
2.Select Email icon.
3.If this is your first email account you will be presented with an email setup screen. Otherwise, press the Menu button, and tap the 'Add Account' button.
4.In the Type your account email address box, enter your full email address.
5.In the second box, enter your email account password.
6.Select the Manual setup button.
7.Choose the POP3 account button.
8.Enter the following information in the spaces provided:
a.Username - Enter your full email address. ***I just entered my email without the @shaw.ca and this worked!

b.Password - Enter your email account password.
c.POP server - pop.shaw.ca
d.Port - 110
e.Security type - None
9.Select Next. The device will connect to the internet and check your incoming settings.
10.On the Outgoing server settings screen, enter the following information in the spaces provided:
◦SMTP server - mail.shaw.ca
◦Port - 587
◦Security - TLS (accept all certificates)
Note: Ensure Port is still 587.
11.Select Require sign-in checkbox.
12.In the Username box, enter your full email address. ****I tried this with and without the @shaw.ca, and neither worked. Still got an error that my email/pw was incorrect when authentication was performed.
13.In the Password box, enter your email account password.
14.Select the Next button. The device will connect to the Internet and check your outgoing settings.
15.On the Account options screen, select your Email checking frequency.
Note: Changing frequency will impact battery life.
16.Under Notify me when email arrives checkbox to see an alert on the status bar when you have new email.
17.Name your account as desired.
18.Enter your name as you want it displayed in email.

Last edited by pokee; 11-04-2011 at 03:07 PM.
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Ok, at least it isn't just me missing something.

I have tried both shawmail.cg.shawcable.net (calgary server) as well as the pop.shaw.ca and still the same problems as you.

If anyone figures it out, please post.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

I got my incoming mail to work though - maybe it was a fluke?

I am going to try to connect with Shaw this weekend to see if there's a glitch with Android devices. I did have some problems with my phone a couple of years ago and needed to use K-9 mail...
Old 11-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Does this help?
https://wmbeta.shaw.ca/doc/offnet-de...tructions.html
Quote:
Android
Setting Up an Email Account
  1. Select the Application icon.
  2. Select Email icon.
  3. If this is your first email account you will be presented with an email setup screen. Otherwise, press the Menu button, and tap the 'Add Account' button.
  4. In the Type your account email address box, enter your full email address.
  5. In the second box, enter your email account password.
  6. Select the Manual setup button.
  7. Choose the POP3 account button.
  8. Enter the following information in the spaces provided:
    1. Username - Enter your full email address.
    2. Password - Enter your email account password.
    3. POP server - pop.shaw.ca
    4. Port - 10
    5. Security type - None
  9. Select Next. The device will connect to the internet and check your incoming settings.
  10. On the Outgoing server settings screen, enter the following information in the spaces provided:
    • SMTP server - mail.shaw.ca
    • Port - 587
    • Security - TLS (accept all certificates)
      Note: Ensure Port is still 587.
  11. Select Require sign-in checkbox.
  12. In the Username box, enter your full email address.
  13. In the Password box, enter your email account password.
  14. Select the Next button. The device will connect to the Internet and check your outgoing settings.
  15. On the Account options screen, select your Email checking frequency.
    Note: Changing frequency will impact battery life.
  16. Under Notify me when email arrives checkbox to see an alert on the status bar when you have new email.
  17. Name your account as desired.
  18. Enter your name as you want it displayed in email.
OOPS Missed the post above me! SOWWY
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Do the tips at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=18735666 help?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
shaw email on Vox

Hi Shannont,

I have shaw email but I have not tried to put it on the Vox because as far as I know shaw pop3 can only be accessed from a Shaw modem. I believe this is a security feature. They assume that if you want to get your email elsewhere you will use shaw webmail. So it will only be usefull at home or at the home of another shaw subscriber.

I have a Yahoo pop3 account I'm using, it's about $20 a year.

Gmail used to have pop3 access for free, I don't know if that is still true.

If you really need to use shaw I can try to see if I can get my shaw email running and pass on the info.

Larry

p.s.

I believe that when I was trying to get shaw email set up on my Palm TX I could get messages to move one direction but not the other.

p.ps.

If we ever get access to the android market you will probably need a google account anyway so you might as well sign up for an email account too.

ppps?

I just remembered something about using the actually server ip address in some cases. I don't remember where you can find those but they are somewhere on the shaw site dealing with email or email troubleshooting.

LJM

LJM

Last edited by larrymohr; 11-04-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: remembered something more
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #9
pokee
Fanatic

Thanks, Larry - that actually sounds like it may be the case (since my incoming mail worked, but outgoing did not).

Unfortunately, I am not able to use shaw webmail on the Vox, though - so I may have to download K9 again. But, honestly, I am not too worried since I prefer to do most of my emailing with a REAL keyboard anyway!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #10
parkgreen
parkgreen began at the beginning.

Device: ipad2; kobo touch; vox
Hi, have my Shaw email working - after some trial and error
incoming - pop.shaw.ca
Port - 110
No security

Outgoing - shawmail.(location).shawcable.net
Port - 25
Security - none

Apple account also set up OK
parkgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #11
pokee
Fanatic

OKAY FOLKS, Peter's link had what we're all missing - pay attention to the section I've bolded. This was the missing piece of the puzzle!!!

First, you need to goto your shaw webmail and access the new Shaw Webmail BETA they have started.

Login there, and goto the preferences in the top right.

Goto the Mobile Access tab, and enable mobile access (hit enable, type in your password, and select save at the bottom).

*Note, notice the the password requirements under this menu, as although you CAN ENABLE mobile access with a password that does not meet the requirements (perhaps an older one you have not updated, like me) you will NOT be able to login on you phone with it, so you'll have to go change the password in the online help page (which is kind of a hassel, to be honest)

Once it is enabled, these are your server settings.

Type of Account - Pop3

Incoming server: pop.shaw.ca
Username - <your account>@shaw.ca *note, you must add the "@shaw.ca"
Pass - <your password>
Security Type: None
Port: 110

Outgoing Server: mail.shaw.ca
Login is Required.
Pass - <your pass>
Security Type: TLS
PORT: 587
*the security type and port are not standard... so watch for this.

This will now allow you to both check and send e-mail on both Wifi and 3G.

PETER!!!!
Old 11-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Tried it out! SUCCESS!

Larry
Old 11-06-2011, 01:36 AM   #13
shannont
Connoisseur

Thanks pokee! However, no success in Calgary yet.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:14 AM   #14
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
OKAY FOLKS, Peter's link had what we're all missing - pay attention to the section I've bolded. This was the missing piece of the puzzle!!!

First, you need to goto your shaw webmail and access the new Shaw Webmail BETA they have started.

Login there, and goto the preferences in the top right.

Goto the Mobile Access tab, and enable mobile access (hit enable, type in your password, and select save at the bottom).

*Note, notice the the password requirements under this menu, as although you CAN ENABLE mobile access with a password that does not meet the requirements (perhaps an older one you have not updated, like me) you will NOT be able to login on you phone with it, so you'll have to go change the password in the online help page (which is kind of a hassel, to be honest)

Once it is enabled, these are your server settings.

Type of Account - Pop3

Incoming server: pop.shaw.ca
Pass - <your password>
Security Type: None
Port: 110

Outgoing Server: mail.shaw.ca
Login is Required.
Pass - <your pass>
Security Type: TLS
PORT: 587
*the security type and port are not standard... so watch for this.

This will now allow you to both check and send e-mail on both Wifi and 3G.

PETER!!!!
How do you get to the screen that will let you enter incoming and outgoing server. I can't find where you can enter it manually.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:37 AM   #15
larrymohr
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrmama View Post
How do you get to the screen that will let you enter incoming and outgoing server. I can't find where you can enter it manually.
Tap "EMAIL" to start the email app.

You should now see a bar at the top titled "Email"

Under "Accounts" you will see the account you have setup for shaw email.

Tap that account and you will move to the shaw email inbox.

Now tap the menu key at the bottom of the Vox (middle icon) and it will popup a menu.

Tap "account settings" and you should see lots of things you can customize for that account.
At the very bottom you will find "Incoming settings".

Tap this and you will be moved to the "Incoming settings" page.

Username - this is your shaw email address without the @shaw.ca
password - your password for this email address
POP3 server = pop.shaw.ca
Port = 110
Security type= None
Delete email from server = I would leave this at the default setting of NEVER.

If you tap the BACK(left) icon it will remove the keyboard and you will see "NEXT" at the bottom of the screen, tap this and the Vox will check that the settings are OK. If you don't get an error message you should be back at the "Account settings" page.

Scroll the page to the bottom and you will see that "Outgoing settings" is at the bottom of the page, tap this and you are at the "Outgoing settings" page.

SMTP server = mail.shaw.ca
Port=587
Security type = TLS(Accept all certificates) not the selection with just TLS
make sure to check the "Require sign-in" check box
Username = full shaw email address including the @shaw.ca this time
Password = same password as before

Again, tap the BACK icon and the keyboard will go away.

Tap the NEXT button at the bottom right. Again it will check your settings and if there are no errors, you should have access to your shaw email.

NOTE: You must have set the mobile setting on the shaw webmail beta page before you can actually access email when NOT at home.

Hope this helps.

Larry