Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-31-2010, 05:17 PM   #16
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
it doesn't support the Android market
No non-phone Android device *ships* with Android Market access - this is Google's (unflinching) policy, which makes sense to noone outside of Google headquarters.

I understand you can gain at least partial Android Market access via third party apps (which I think require root to install).

Fortunately, many interesting Android apps are available via numerous other "Markets", such as Slideme.org. You can also grab the APK installation file of free apps from the Android Market using an Android phone and transfer them to the eDGe (or any Android device) to install them.

Last edited by borisb; 10-31-2010 at 05:26 PM.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #17
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru
tipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-books

Device: 7015A, CM738A, 7015, M150, A7, A32, Next3, PDN 7"/9", GT78, ePad
Oh well, they sold over 8,000 units on HSN. Well you got until Jan 31st 2011 to return it. For $110 to get to you now and if you don't like it send it back.

Last edited by tipstir; 11-01-2010 at 07:07 PM.
tipstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 05:29 PM   #18
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Can somebody who has an Edge tell me if you can use epub library books on it?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:30 PM   #19
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Can somebody who has an Edge tell me if you can use epub library books on it?
I think so, but I'm not 100% sure. If you email sales@entourageedge.com, they could tell you for sure.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #20
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru
tipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Both models run Android 1.6.
If that's the case then both models use the same Marvel PXA168 1GHz CPU. Unless it's not the same CPU. Would be nice if the OEM would post these specs.

Last edited by tipstir; 11-01-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #21
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, borisb. I went looking and found this: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/content.php?133

So it looks like that's a yes!

I went ahead and bit at the HSN offer with the four payments option. It looks like my little red baby will get here next week. So we'll see! I can always send it back if it seems like a bad buy. I was always interested in the Edge, but the original seemed so big and heavy I decided against it. This littler guy might be just the thing.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #22
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
good for you. I'm actually considering the original bigger model. My interest for the Entourage Edge has rekindled.

I will always use my Kindle for leisure reading but need something bigger for PDF:s and technical documents.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #23
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

borisb can you say something about the battery life of the bigger model.
How is the LCD-screen working, can you turn it to sleep mode or do you need to shut off the system. One of the biggest problem I had with the Iliad was that there was no sleep function and you had to turn it off.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #24
pendragginp
Guru

Good question. Also, do you have to have both screens on? If you were able to turn off the LCD screen the ereader would last a lot longer.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #25
borisb
Addict

Regarding the battery life, read the details here: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...-battery-life-!.

You can definitely turn the LCD screen off, either by timeout or by using the "Lock" icon on the Power Widget control. The LCD uses something like 50% of the power (or more?) so turning it off greatly boosts battery life. Also, when you're not using the eDGe, just close it which puts it into power saving Hibernate mode.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #26
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru

Quote:
good for you. I'm actually considering the original bigger model. My interest for the Entourage Edge has rekindled.

I will always use my Kindle for leisure reading but need something bigger for PDF:s and technical documents.
Did you read the PCMag review on the larger one HSN spiked the price to $429 on the little son version. Funny how the payments was $124 for $399 then later on today it dropped to $104-107. I wonder if it will go on sale prior to Thanksgiving weekend? I'll wait it out and see what the feed back is so far on any of the two products.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #27
borisb
Addict

Take these pundit reviews of the eDGe with a truckload of salt, enGadget and Gizmodo in particular. If you want to get a sense of how people like the eDGe, visit the enTourage forums and read posts like http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...he-eDGe-Review by people who actually own and *use* an eDGe.

One of my many pet peeves with these lame pundit reviews is their complaints of ugliness and weight. If you want pretty and waste a lot of money for eye candy, buy the iPad. If you need something for school/work that's actually practical, buy the eDGe. The PCMag review also complains about screen brightness - clearly they didn't go into the settings where you can almost double the standard brightness.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:04 AM   #28
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Regarding the battery life, read the details here: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...-battery-life-!.

You can definitely turn the LCD screen off, either by timeout or by using the "Lock" icon on the Power Widget control. The LCD uses something like 50% of the power (or more?) so turning it off greatly boosts battery life. Also, when you're not using the eDGe, just close it which puts it into power saving Hibernate mode.
Looks very promising. I'm one step closer to ordering one.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #29
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Just a quick note re: battery life... I find it frickin' amazing! Even with wifi on and surfing/email/twitter etc. it lasted for hours. I never did time it, but I was getting at least 5 hours, and I may be off but it felt like I was getting much closer to 7 - 8 hours. I also have a second battery and I have never ever been stuck without battery.

I wrote about it extensively on the edge forum but not here, but I was without a laptop for 6 weeks and the edge was my only laptop for that time. So, when I used it, I USED it - it was always connected to the internet and was even more of an internet device than an e-reader for those weeks. The battery life was a delightful surprise (one of the recent software upgrades just shot battery capacity through the roof).

Because I had no other machine, I had to do everything on the edge (email, web, documents, photos, twitter, wordpress) and I was truly surprised just how much it was able to replace a laptop. Not 100%, but at least 85%. And as I said, with a spare battery, battery life was never an issue.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #30
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru

Quote:
Looks very promising. I'm one step closer to ordering one.
What's holding you back? I know it's Android OS v1.6 Are these running Marvel CPU at 1GHz on both models?