Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-10-2010, 03:45 AM   #1
pda_junkie
Enthusiast
pda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watch

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kobo Glo
File duplicates & error

Hi

First of all, thank you to Kovid and all the other developers working on this great software. I'm new to Calibre but already loving how I've been able to organize my book collection.

I have a question and an issue which I couldn't really find answers for in the forum or in the FAQ.

When Calibre created the file structure, under the Author main folder, there are subfolders which are by title. That's fine. However there are files residing outside of the subfolders which are duplicates of the ones in the subfolders. I know the recommendation is not to mess around with the files and directory structure but since I don't really have a big HD, I'd like to get rid of the duplicates to save space. Since these duplicates don't show up on Calibre, I assume (correctly I hope) that there is no problem if I delete them?

The issue I encountered also has to do with these files that are residing outside the subfolders. While I see duplicates, I also see files that are not showing up in Calibre and there is no subfolder either. When I add these files in, the title subfolder would be created correctly but when I tried to view the file using Calibre, I would get an error message:

ERROR: Could not open ebook: (2, 'No such file or directory')

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\main.py", line 60, in run
File "threading.py", line 477, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator.py", line 181, in __enter__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator.py", line 75, in write_oebbook
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\writer.py", line 64, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\base.py", line 428, in write
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'c:\\docume~1\\user\\locals~1\\temp\\calibre_0.6. 31_ms2air_ebook_iter\\$doc0001_files/image009.jpg'

This has happened on 2 different occasions with 2 different files. Is this a bug or is there a problem with the files? One was a lit file and the other a pdf, both are DRM free.

TIA!
pda_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:49 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Not sure how any files would ever get put outside the Calibre folder structure by Calibre itself. Are you sure they were not put there manually?

Alternatively did you tell Calibre to use a folder for its library that was not initially empty so that these are files left behind?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 06:06 AM   #3
pda_junkie
Enthusiast
pda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watch

Yes, I didn't realize that I should have created a new folder for the Calibre library but just used the existing library folder I had.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That explains why you have files outside the Calibre folders!

These additional files/folders will be invisible to Calibre so if you no longer want their contents you can safely delete them. It might be safer to initially copy them to another folder outside the Calibre library so you can decide at leisure whether their contents are really superfluous or whether they should first be added to calibre.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:02 AM   #5
pda_junkie
Enthusiast

Ouch, that's going to be really slow since I have over 1GB of ebooks. Could I pull the entire library out into one folder (ie dump all my ebooks into one folder without any subfolders) then re-start the Calibre library in a new empty folder?

Is the messed up directory the reason why some books can't be opened in Calibre at all? After checking on a few more titles, it seems like quite a few books are affected. The file can be correctly placed in a subfolder but the reader in Calibre gives me the same error message as my original post.

Thanks!
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard

You can use the "Save to Disk" option in Calibre to export all the titles known to Calibre (including their metadata) to a new folder. Then you could decide where you want your new calibre library to be located, create an empty one there and use the Add Books option selecting the option to where it is assumed each directory can contain multiple copies of the same book in different formats.

You message suggested that you had simply tried moving books around manually within the Calibre folder structure. This will not make them visible to Calibre as this process does not add entries to the metadata database.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
pda_junkie
Enthusiast

Ok, I'll try the save to disk option first and see how that goes.

No, I didn't move any of the ebook files around Calibre folder structure which makes it puzzling why I would not be able to open the books in the viewer even though they show up in Calibre and Calibre saved them correctly following the folder structure. It seems to be happening in the Author folders which have more subfolders so I'm not sure if folder size is contributing to it.

The maddening thing is that not every book is affected. I tried copying out the file, putting it on my desktop and then adding it back in using Add Books and it will create a new subfolder correctly but the new entry won't open in the viewer. Grrr...
Old 01-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard

Have you checked that the ones that will not open have a format compatible with the viewer? It is possible that Calibre is trying to convert them for the viewer and failing?
Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
pda_junkie
Enthusiast

They were all .lit and .pdf files so it's really strange. When I don't use Calibre to view, the files open without any problems in MS Reader or Adobe Reader.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That error indicates a bug in the viewer. Opena ticket and attach the file and I'll fix it
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda_junkie View Post
Yes, I didn't realize that I should have created a new folder for the Calibre library but just used the existing library folder I had.
I think if you just move the library using the config feature calibre will only copy the files it knows about. Then you should have a clean database.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #12
pda_junkie
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That error indicates a bug in the viewer. Opena ticket and attach the file and I'll fix it
I can't seem to log in to open a ticket. I registered after some difficulty (never got a registration confirmation) but got an error message when I logged in (Unknown preference panel). I'm not that clueless... really!
Old 01-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm strange. The registration doesn't send a confirmation email, it should just show a registration successful page. Did that not show up for you?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #14
pda_junkie
Enthusiast

No, didn't get that at all, it just takes me back to the blank registration page. Tried using FF, Chrome & IE, all with the same result. But when I reset my password, it emailed the new password to me correctly so obviously I do have an account. But I still can't get in.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #15
pda_junkie
Enthusiast

I still can't log in to open a ticket but I think I've narrowed down the problem. All the books I can't open in the viewer are from the same publisher and it's only lit files so maybe it's how they are putting the lit files together. I thought I had a problem with pdf as well but seems like it's just lit files.