Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #16
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
Katelyn, did you ever get a version of Alreader in English? I find most of the configuration options are fairly self-explanatory. To get out of fullscreen mode, tap the center of the screen.

As far as epub readers go, I just briefly tested a build for one and I can tell you that there's about to be another option and I pretty strongly feel that, with a few tweaks, it will become the defacto ebook reader for the WinCE set.

edit: Oops, I distracted myself. This device looks really cool and I hope you guys are able to obtain one and let the rest of us know how you like it.

Last edited by Houndx; 02-27-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #17
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
I know that the middle tap should toggle full screen mode but I didn't find it to be the case. I spent hours testing taps all over the screen to try to figure out which tap did what so I could set preferences. The tap options didn't make any sense without knowing the "zones". I was using the English version and tried to use this site to teach myself the software.

The issue may have been due to the CE software that was funky on my JE100. Honestly, I didn't try it after I updated the firmware.

I look forward to any addition to reading software, especially ePub so I hope the program you are watching is released soon. CE needs it.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #18
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I have more information about ordering the Hal. I contacted Haleron about the hassle someone in the US would have making the payment (they replied back within 15 minutes). Here is the the reply.

Yes, we understand the issue with U.S. Buyers, unfortunately, many of the payment thru ecommerce are not available to Colombia, ie paypal, google checkout, etc.. We have canceled your order as you have requested. We will however have online credit cards available in the next few days. The units will also be available from Amazon in mid March. We have placed the units online on our website for a offer before our distributors receive them and elevate pricing for their markets.

Regards,

Roberto

I canceled until got more info but will probably place a new order soon. I feel better with their very quick responses and information provided. I've asked a couple more questions and if I think the response may be of interest to forum members, I post it.

They currently accept:

VIGO (credit card payment) - way too much trouble. You have to find a VIGO agent then physically go to their location to pay with a credit card. If you call the 800 listed on the Haleron site, that is what you will be told.

Bank Transfer - too much trouble.

Western Union - a possibility but just feels wrong.

Netspend - again, way too much trouble.

Last edited by Katelyn; 02-27-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #19
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Thanks Katelyn,

I wouldn't mind waiting until Amazon has it. I just wonder how much of a markup will Amazon add to the price. Then again the shipping would probably be free. So if it is a 30 dollar markup I'd break even. I hope they do add the ability to pay via credit card soon. If not I'll definitely get it once Amazon sells it.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #20
Katelyn
Addict

One last bit of info. Their reply noted in red.

Thank you, we are excited about the new payment option as well, you cant imagine the amount of emails we have received looking for more conventional means of payment.

1) If I use Western Union, the last name Negrete-Plaza - which is the paternal name and which is maternal? In answer to the Western Union, Yes, Negrete Plaza are the two last names.

2) When your Website states that all Ocean versions are upgradeable, what does that mean? That I can pay extra and change to Windows CE or that Android is upgradeable to a different version? The Ocean version of android will allow upgrading as we make new versions available. The upgrade will protect your data and integrate smoothly into your device. The upgrades are free with the HAL device for two years.

You may add Windows ce 6.0 to the device if you wish. we have that option online.

Thank you.

Susana
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #21
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Has anyone found out a size and a weight for the iLet Mini HAL?
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #22
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Will be interested in hearing more about this one you receive it...

Wonder why not Windows 7?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:05 AM   #23
tank4141
Enthusiast
tank4141 began at the beginning.

I went on and ordered one on Friday and sent them an email asking how to pay for it. They responded right away and said they would send me an invoicee with payment options. Well I got the invoice but no payment options. Still waiting for that. When I ordered it their website said they had 2 available. When I checked back about an hour later, it said they had like 4900 available. What's up with that?
tank4141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #24
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
For those interested in these products, I hope the return for refund process is not painful.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:18 AM   #25
FredBE
FredBE began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook One, Kindle DXG
Might Be Scam

If you plan to order this, check gizmodo.com first.
The company "might" be a scam. They checked the website domain registration and it doesn't look good.
FredBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:38 AM   #26
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
BUYER BEWARE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBE View Post
If you plan to order this, check gizmodo.com first.
The company "might" be a scam. They checked the website domain registration and it doesn't look good.
Here's the link to that page: http://gizmodo.com/5481887/haleron-i...a-modest-price

The Article is entitled "Haleron iLet Mini HAL Is a Modest Tablet With a Modest Price" and contains an "Updated. Scam alert!" warning.

From the webpage:

Fishy indeed. Here's Brad again, in a second comment:

the french company is eviGroup and their devices have several real reviews... and sorry, the whois is connected to an apartment building in Savannah GA.

It was another website that directs to haleron that was registered to a miami ship hole. Offices in Columbia and Ecuador? Pu-lease.

After some checking up, I'm inclined to agree with Brad; I can't find anything that makes me think that Haleron is a legitimate organization. If anyone has any further info either way send it along in an e-mail or post it in the comments.

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-01-2010 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Add title
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:43 AM   #27
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Very interesting.....

I almost said something earlier about waiting to see what the reviews say. I personally tend to do that anyway....

Last edited by kennyc; 03-01-2010 at 06:53 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #28
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I wait for reviews as well. The website appears shady with no "see the device in action" demos or anything of substance to know what the device is capable of doing. What's the purpose of the call center rep. photo?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #29
Katelyn
Addict

Interesting. I contacted Haleron a short time ago and sent them the link to the article. Here is the reply I received with 10 minutes. Someone may have put their proverbial foot in their proverbial mouth - or not.

ADDED: I did email them yet again explaining that people may be suspicious due to the lack of any real photos or videos as well as the odd payment types they accept. I suggested they are doing themselves no favors but providing one drawing of the device and nothing more. I also asked for dimensions and weight. Maybe they'll send me something - like maybe the device to prove it exists!

Date: March 1, 2010 11:51:06 AM EST
To: "Katelyn
Subject: Re: Haleron Technologies - Confirmation of your enquiry

Thank you for the information. Here are the words we send to the editor of such article.

Mr. Kyle VanHemert,

Please allow me to introduce myself. I am Kyle Schlosser, General Manager of Grupo Haleron, LTDA. I have recently been made aware of a distrubing post that you have allowed on the internet concerning our company. The article states tha the owners have filed a bankrupcy in Colorado and have several failed companies.

I do not know where you receive such information. But I can assure you it is in error. Your investigator has mistaken an SEC filing for a Bankrupcy I believe. The SEC filing in Colorado is not a bankrupcy. It is a public filing for taking the company in reference public on the Stock Exchange.

Evigroup, I do not know. There are various models of units coming in 7 inch that you will see on the horizon.

Our Company is Grupo Haleron LTDA. A Colombian Company for Manufacturing and assembly. We are a 6 year old company.

We request that you repair the damage you have caused Grupo Haleron.

Regards, and Regrets that you care to defame our company.

Kyle Schlosser
General Manager

Last edited by Katelyn; 03-01-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #30
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
It's funny that he doesn't know anything about Evigroup. Compare the photos on these two pages Evigroup Pad and iLet 10.

I don't think Gizmodo is in the wrong.

Last edited by Houndx; 03-01-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote