Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
MdB
Advocate/Initiate
MdB doesn't litterMdB doesn't litter

Device: Undecided
Recommend me some Fantasy/SF, if you have a free moment

Though, of course, you could easily classify Fantasy within the genre of SF, I have learned from reading these forums, I thought the title would more easily clarify that I'm looking for both, and either/or. I'm relatively new to the fantasy/SF genres, having been convinced by a friend a couple of years ago to read Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. (which I was not terribly impressed with, btw - engaging stories, but so lacking in depth and realistic characters and motivations) I moved on to Jordan's Wheel of Time series, which I absolutely love, and am curious about Sanderson's ability to wrap up in one book (good luck!!!), and I recently read George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series - which is probably my favorite read yet in the genre, and maybe top 20 of my all time reads. I loved LOTR, of course, and recently read the Runemaster books, which I enjoyed the premise of, though they were not quite as enjoyable as Martin, for example. So, the question would be - as you all are quite well versed in both genres, where to go next, for one who loved:

A Song of Ice & Fire
The Wheel of Time
LOTR
ANYThing by Ray Bradbury
Douglass Preston & Lincoln Child
Dean Koontz
Stephen King
Neal Stephenson
Ender's Game (haven't tried any other OSC yet)

I know...it's pretty broad up there. I guess what I'm asking is: What are the Must Read classics out there in this genre that I really need to get to, and haven't? I love a good adventure, sure, but certainly prefer the realistic shades of gray that Martin presents to the blindingly black and white world of Goodkind. I enjoy Science, and Fantasy, and do not particularly prefer one to the other, but I need a good character development and plot over an impressive premise.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, and if I have missed a thread that has already really answered this, I apologize. I've looked through the SF/Fantasy sticky at the top, as well as many others, and that has given me a ton of ideas, but I guess what I'm looking for is a ranking - top 10 SF books/series, so I know where to start.

Thank you all for the assistance. This is an excellent and much-respected resource for a reader, and I very much appreciate it.

MdB.
MdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
MdB
Advocate/Initiate

And, that was quite long-winded. Apologies. Though, I suppose it shouldn't be surprising here on this forum to have long-winded questions and answers....
Advert
Old 10-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sure, you got the right forum. Since you like Ender's Game, why not try OSC in an entirely new setting, a very cool book called Past Watch. It is completely unlike anything else I've read of his. In fact, I probably read it 5 times, which is something very rare for me.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
MdB
Advocate/Initiate

Time Travel + History = Fun in my book - I appreciate the suggestion Dixie
Old 10-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Device: A FREE (!!!) replacement cybook gen 3
Given that you liked
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdB View Post
A Song of Ice & Fire
The Wheel of Time
LOTR
I would recommend the Farseer trilogy from Robin Hobb.
WDecraene is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #6
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
I would recommend the Farseer trilogy from Robin Hobb.

...I'll second that.....and THIRD it!! Brilliant series.
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #7
MdB
Advocate/Initiate

The Farseer Trilogy has come up on a number of threads. It is definitely going on my list. Thanks guys.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #8
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

I loved Asimov's Foundation Series. And Ring World is good.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I just read The Dreaming Void by Peter Hamilton and liked it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Some classics which you missed:

Susan Cooper's _The Dark is Rising_ pentalogy
Jack Vance's _Lyonesse_ trilogy, also his _Dying Earth_ books
Ursula K. LeGuin's _Earthsea_ trilogy
Lord Dunsany --- pretty much everything, but especially _The Charwoman's Shadow_ which in many ways prefigures _The Lord of the Rings_

Not classics (yet IMO), but also enjoyable are:

Roger Zelazny - _The Chronicles of Amber_ (also his Dilvish books)
Steven Brust's Taltos novels
C.J. Cherryh's Morgaine novels as well as _The Dreaming Tree_ and _The Tree of Swords and Jewels_
Megan Lindholm's _Cloven Hooves_
Robin McKinley - _The Blue Sword_ and the balance of that series

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I loved Zelazny's Amber series so much that any mention of it always makes me nostalgic.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #12
MdB
Advocate/Initiate

brief synopsis?
Old 10-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #13
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
brief synopsis?
Would like to remind everyone about Fantasticfiction.co.uk for your everyday ebooks
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #14
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
brief synopsis?
Check it out here
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I always recommend David Weber. You can try several of his books for free at the Baen Free Library -- multiple formats, no DRM, what's not to love?

There are quite a few authors that have books available the same place. Mostly MilSciFi, but there's a fair smattering of other sub-genres as well.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote